Author Topic: New Chain and going to a 19T Countershaft Sprocket?  (Read 1818 times)

Superchuck

• Grand Gearhead
on: December 17, 2018, 06:33:25 pm
Howdy folks,

I am soon going to be in need of a new chain.  I replaced my rear sprocket a few years ago, at which point I learned that the OEM chain has 95 links.  The closest I could find was a 96 link chain (upgraded to a higher quality aftermarket variety) but I've heard 95 is really more ideal.

Since I'm going to be replacing my chain (rear sprocket is still in good shape), I was considering going up a tooth on the front (countershaft) sprocket.  From what I've read on here, the stock is 18T, and I would go up to a 19T. 

I've been doing a lot of highway commuting, and I'm interested in taming the rev's at higher road speeds, and hoping it will net me a small increase in top speed as well.  It's nice to have some in reserve with traffic about.

If I'm going from an 18T to a 19T, will a 96-link chain be sufficient?  On the other hand, should I try and find a 95-link chain to give it a longer lifespan (more adjustment life) or will that be too short? 

Also, will I need any special tools in order to dig through the primary case to change the countershaft sprocket?

Many thanks!
Chuck

heloego

• A 2x4. My kingdom for a 2x4!
  • Grand Gearhead
  • USA '12 C5, '06 ElectraX
Reply #1 on: December 17, 2018, 11:46:18 pm
Mine came with a stock sprocket and I haven't changed it.You will definitely have to pull the Chain Case Inner and Outer covers to change out the sprocket.
'18 Bonneville T-100, Blue/White
'12 C5 Classic
'06 Electra X AVL w/32mm Mikuni and Gold Star system.

Adrian II

• Grand Gearhead
  • Sharing my ignorance with anyone who needs it
Reply #2 on: December 18, 2018, 11:59:23 am
Also, will I need any special tools in order to dig through the primary case to change the countershaft sprocket?

Possibly an extractor for the alternator rotor (mis-named a magneto in the books, it is no such thing) and the clutch center. The retaining nut on the gearbox sprocket measures 50mm across the flats for whatever type of wrench/spanner/socket you prefer to use.

18T didn't really suit my Electra-X for the riding I had at the time, dropping DOWN to a 17T sprocket made the bike more responsive and generally fun. If you're in lots of city traffic or have plenty of hills to climb, don't go 19T. If you have plenty of flat open roads it will make more sense.

A.
Grumpy Brit still seeking 500 AVL Bullet perfection! Will let you know if I get anywhere near...

Superchuck

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: December 19, 2018, 01:49:47 pm
Thanks for the advice-   I've read a number of topics on these forums about changing out the front sprocket.  Most people say to definitely not go up to a 20t.

Honestly, I love my Enfield's power delivery for city riding and it's decent for the twisties, but most of my current mileage is happening on the freeway.

Wouldn't going up a tooth mainly affect me in first gear?  For spirited back-roads riding I'm generally in 3rd or 4th gear.  (35-45 mph) If I found I was geared too high for a particular segment of road, couldn't I just downshift?

Or is there more to it than that? 

I'm still on the fence about this change, but I like the idea if it'll give me more day-to-day utility as a highway commuter.

Thanks!
Chuck