Author Topic: Winter  (Read 11917 times)

Bert Remington

• Grease Monkey
Reply #30 on: December 20, 2018, 03:39:03 am
Looks like Central and Eastern US riders will get a chance to stress test their heated gloves.  And I'll get a chance to test my rain gear and hone my wet weather riding skills.

Abstract: An extraordinary atmospheric planetary wave (#1) (1st picture), over 30 miles high, covering earth's entire Northern hemisphere, will break over the North Pole on Xmas day. This wave, which will transfer tremendous amounts of heat to the upper stratosphere, is likely to split the polar vortex in two. This will likely drive cold air out of the Arctic towards the Central and Eastern US in January and February.

Details: The winter night that starts over the North Pole in September causes a deep vortex to form around the North Pole in early fall. By the 18th of December this year, the planet circling "storm in the stratosphere" was extraordinarily cold -115 F (-82 C) and winds today are as high as 220 mph (355 km/h) in the upper stratosphere where the atmospheric pressure is 1% of surface pressure (10mb). This monster storm that develops every fall above the weather layer has become more intense in the fall months with human-caused global warming and ozone loss. This year has been no exception. However, as the polar vortex has become more intense in the Fall it has also become more unstable in the Winter months.

When the spin of the jet stream in the lower atmosphere (the troposphere) aligns with the spin in the polar vortex in the layer above, the stratosphere, as it does in the long polar winter, large amounts of wave energy may be transferred upwards. The most powerful planetary wave is typically #1 which encircles the Northern hemisphere diving South over the Pacific Ocean and pushing polewards over the Atlantic. When this wave intensifies, it not only drives heat towards the pole on the Atlantic side, it also drives wave energy upwards from the troposphere to the upper stratosphere. This upwards wave breaks at the boundary of the stratosphere with layer above it, the mesosphere. These upwards breaking waves generate large amounts of heat and put a brake on the winds at the top of the stratosphere.

The dome of heated air that is formed spins clockwise, like a surface high pressure area, and disrupts the Westerly flow of the storm-like vortex below it. The slowing and heating of the polar vortex in the upper stratosphere works its way to lower levels by this process of vortex disruption. In strong stratospheric warming events the vortex disruption may work its way down to affect polar surface weather over the winter months. Strong events usually happen in January and February. The period around Xmas is very early for a major stratospheric warming, but both the American and European models now predict it will happen. The models indicate that there is a good chance that the polar vortex will be split in two by the intense warming.

When the polar vortex disruption reaches the lower atmosphere it tends to increase the surface pressure over the North Pole and Arctic Ocean. In particular, the Beaufort High, that is located north of Alaska over the Beaufort sea, intensifies and the flow of cold air out of the Arctic east of the Rocky mountains intensifies. The flow of cold air towards western Europe may also intensify like it did late last winter when "the Beast from the East" brought bitterly cold Siberian air to Western Europe. This year, the American Climate Forecast System (CFS) model forecasts that the Eastern US will be colder than normal, but not Western Europe.  It forecasts that a cold flow out of the north polar region will bring brutal cold to Northern Siberia and Scandinavia in mid-January, but not Western Europe. Time will tell. The model cannot be depended on to predict details accurately. What is clear is that the Eastern half of the US is likely to be significantly colder than normal in mid-January. This forecast for mid-January is consistent with what happened after major stratospheric warmings in El Nino years like this one (2nd picture).

Climate change may be amplifying the impacts of El Nino events and major stratospheric warmings. Large areas of the Barents Sea, which used to be covered by ice and a fresh water layer, is now an extension of the North Atlantic. This region can now transfer huge amounts of heat from the ocean to the atmosphere amplifying planetary wave #1 near the pole. Likewise, the increase in ocean heat in the North Pacific, particularly in El Nino years, increases the amplitude of planetary wave #1.  This may be destabilizing the polar vortex in mid-winter leading to more extreme weather and increased variability in winter weather.

The good news in this combination of a sudden stratospheric warming and El Nino is that California is likely to have a wet January as the storm track gets pushed south by likely blocking high pressure areas over Alaska. This weather pattern could extend into February, but the model becomes less accurate over time. The impact of major stratospheric warmings can continue for several months while vortex disruptions work down "like dripping paint" from the stratosphere into the weather. The cold weather in the Eastern US and warm weather in Alaska will probably continue into February. California is likely to have a wetter than normal period from January through March.

The CFS model prediction of wet weather for California is consistent with similar situations but the prediction of a dry East Coast is not consistent with the historic record. Historically, heavy snow events have happened on the East Coast following sudden stratospheric warmings.  Cold air may dam up over Eastern Canada and storms may track up the East Coast delivering large amounts of snow to the mid-Atlantic and Northeast if this winter follows historic patterns. Time will tell.
2016 RE Classic 500 CA version Fair-Weather Mountain Bike
2014 Can-Am Spyder RT-S SE6 Freeway Commuter Pod

GlennF

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #31 on: December 20, 2018, 04:43:38 am

Bert Remington

• Grease Monkey
Reply #32 on: December 31, 2018, 03:37:42 pm
My Amazon review of the Milwaukee Leather Heated Gloves: https://www.amazon.com/gp/customer-reviews/RQRQKKI3Y2J9I/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_viewpnt?ie=UTF8&ASIN=B0799F2PLT#RQRQKKI3Y2J9I

Walking in mid-50s last night wearing gloves for break-in fit (MG still in Windsor and RE engine being rebuilt) I found Low nice and Medium made my hands sweat.  In combination with heated handgrips, I think these gloves will work nicely.

I am considering battery-powered heat vest with heated collar (https://www.amazon.com/ororo-Lightweight-Heated-Battery-XX-Large/dp/B01H50RCY4/ref=sr_1_2_sspa?ie=UTF8&qid=1546270387&sr=8-2-spons&keywords=battery+heated+vest&psc=1) but right now I'm staying with my motorcycle-powered heated vest (https://www.aerostich.com/clothing/heated-gear/kanetsu-electrics/aerostich-kanetsu-tltec-wind-blocker-electric-vest.html) although, along with my RoadCrafter its shrunk around the waistline since I last used it.  Guess I need to add push-aways to my exercise regime.
2016 RE Classic 500 CA version Fair-Weather Mountain Bike
2014 Can-Am Spyder RT-S SE6 Freeway Commuter Pod

Bilgemaster

• Just some guy
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • 2005 Bullet 500ES in "Mean Green" Military Trim
Reply #33 on: December 31, 2018, 04:03:12 pm
That's a fine review. Sounds like you're about ready for the Elefantentreffen, unlike the rest of us "Girly-Men" scared of a little frostbite.

So badass my Enfield's actually illegal  in India. Yet it squeaks by here in Virginia.

Stanley

• Grease Monkey
Reply #34 on: December 31, 2018, 07:22:03 pm
Just swapped to my leather jacket instead of mesh and braved a 60 degree garage to set the sprinklers on rain stop.
All ready for the brutal wrath of winter in So Cal.  ;)
Lurker on a Vespa

heloego

• A 2x4. My kingdom for a 2x4!
  • Grand Gearhead
  • USA '12 C5, '06 ElectraX
Reply #35 on: January 01, 2019, 03:31:33 am
I just spent Xmas in San Diego. Got down to a "bitter" 55F.  ::)
Here in Albuquerque it's averaging 17F in the mornings.
'18 Bonneville T-100, Blue/White
'12 C5 Classic
'06 Electra X AVL w/32mm Mikuni and Gold Star system.

Bilgemaster

• Just some guy
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #36 on: January 06, 2019, 02:31:16 am
Those cheapo $23 battery-powered WarmSpace heated gloves finally arrived today from the Far East just in time for tomorrow's Bikes & Breakfast  shindig in Clifton, Virginia.  Details and links about the gloves and the gathering are found in my earlier posting to this thread. I hope some of you nearby can also make it.

Tomorrow's forecast looks like it might range from the low 40s in the morning up into the low 50s through the afternoon, which ain't bad for January. Still, it should give me a chance to see how these new mitts work out on those windy windy roads.

As for the gloves themselves, although I have no basis for comparison with their pricier counterparts, they seem quite sturdy and the XLs fit me well. I was also relieved that both batteries charged up well enough to noticeably warm the insides of the gloves nicely for the hour or so I tested them indoors. Reportedly, the biggest problem with such bargain gloves is that they often enough ship with one or both of the batteries dead as Caesar's cat. The ones that came with mine seem fine though, and I'm also sure I should be able to use the special 1-into-2 USB charging cord to top off them off from my bike's little onboard under-saddle USB charging port if I don't overdo it. They're 3000mAh batteries, so an hour or so on the bike's USB tit at 1500mAh shouldn't cook 'em.

For those who might also want to splurge on a pair, I'm sure you'll also find the ultra-clear setup instructions shown below a huge  help...

Anyhow, we'll see how toasty they keep me tomorrow...
« Last Edit: January 06, 2019, 03:30:00 am by Bilgemaster »
So badass my Enfield's actually illegal  in India. Yet it squeaks by here in Virginia.

Bmadd34

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #37 on: January 06, 2019, 10:40:47 pm
Those cheapo $23 battery-powered WarmSpace heated gloves finally arrived today from the Far East just in time for tomorrow's Bikes & Breakfast  shindig in Clifton, Virginia.  Details and links about the gloves and the gathering are found in my earlier posting to this thread. I hope some of you nearby can also make it.

Tomorrow's forecast looks like it might range from the low 40s in the morning up into the low 50s through the afternoon, which ain't bad for January. Still, it should give me a chance to see how these new mitts work out on those windy windy roads.

As for the gloves themselves, although I have no basis for comparison with their pricier counterparts, they seem quite sturdy and the XLs fit me well. I was also relieved that both batteries charged up well enough to noticeably warm the insides of the gloves nicely for the hour or so I tested them indoors. Reportedly, the biggest problem with such bargain gloves is that they often enough ship with one or both of the batteries dead as Caesar's cat. The ones that came with mine seem fine though, and I'm also sure I should be able to use the special 1-into-2 USB charging cord to top off them off from my bike's little onboard under-saddle USB charging port if I don't overdo it. They're 3000mAh batteries, so an hour or so on the bike's USB tit at 1500mAh shouldn't cook 'em.

For those who might also want to splurge on a pair, I'm sure you'll also find the ultra-clear setup instructions shown below a huge  help...

Anyhow, we'll see how toasty they keep me tomorrow...

Very interesting.
When Life hands you lemons, Squeeze them in his eyes and take his wallet.

gizzo

• Grand Gearhead
  • purple people
Reply #38 on: January 07, 2019, 01:24:10 am
looks like it might range from the low 40s in the morning up into the low 50s through the afternoon, which ain't bad for January.

It was low 40's here too. But we use degrees C. Bloody hell it was hot.
simon from south Australia
Continental GT
Pantah
DR250
DRZ400SM
C90
GSX250E

Bilgemaster

• Just some guy
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #39 on: January 07, 2019, 06:57:26 am
"Chronologically Challenged" retiree that I am, it turns out that Bikes & Breakfast  thing in Clifton, Virginia is actually NEXT Sunday, the SECOND Sunday of the month. But this morning saw me none the wiser in my new blue WarmSpace gloves kicking the old Bullet to life about 9 AM with temps just a hair over 40. So, what's the verdict, you ask? Did they keep my hands warm? Why, yes they did. Between them and the two little refuelable warmers burning merrily in my Belstaff jacket's inside pockets I was perfectly cozy and toasty warm the whole half hour ride there and later back home, though the temps were up into the low 50s by then. Would I have been just as content with these gloves had the temps been down into the low 30s or colder still? Hard to say. My guess is "Yes", but I do know for sure I'd rather have them on than my regular leather riding gloves in such an event. But since nowadays all my riding is pleasure riding, and I'm highly unlikely to be out and about on the bike in such sub-freezing temps anyhow, that question's mostly an academic one.

Like I've already pointed out, I have no experience with pricier electric handwear costing up to ten times more. But would I recommend grabbing a pair of these "sub entry level" WarmSpace gloves for a mere 23 bucks? Sure I would. They work for me.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2019, 02:49:05 am by Bilgemaster »

suitcasejefferson

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #40 on: January 09, 2019, 10:20:40 am
I'm still riding, and should be until around the end of May, when the temperatures will pass 100 degrees and quickly reach 115-118 degrees. Even if I could handle it, I doubt the Enfield motor could.
"I am a motorcyclist, NOT a biker"
"Buy the ticket, take the ride" Hunter S. Thompson

Dalmatian man

• Bulleteer
Reply #41 on: January 09, 2019, 10:30:41 am
Brass monkey weather here in the UK
« Last Edit: January 10, 2019, 11:01:31 am by Dalmatian man »
33cc cyclemaster
James Cadet
James Comodore
Honda C50
Suzuki Gn250
BMW 650
Honda Hornet 600
BMW R1100RS
Royal Enfield C5 2014
BMW G310R

9fingers

• Grand Gearhead
  • From the New Hampshire part of New Jersey
Reply #42 on: January 14, 2019, 01:04:49 pm
It is 11 degrees F this morning and I have resigned myself to not riding again till March or possibly April. But I did get in a great Jan 1 ride as it was around 45 deg. and also went up into NY state last week for lunch, though it was low  40s and REALLY windy. As I came back over the the mountain at Highpoint, it was snowing pretty heavily, so not what I had in mind. Still, better than not riding. Though riding into 20 or 25mph gusts and doing 50, was the first time I actually felt under powered. Will either have to buy one of GSGs hot cams or try to avoid strong headwinds.........
9fingers
Currently own:

2016 Classic Chrome Maroon
2020 Moto Guzzi V7III Special
V Strom 650 ABS Adventure
Beta Rev 3 270
Honda TLR200 custom
Honda TL 250 TMI custom frame
Honda TL 125
Yamaha TY350

Richard230

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #43 on: January 14, 2019, 02:01:11 pm
It is 51 degrees F this morning at my home on the Pacific coast.  So far the lowest temperature I have seen here this winter is 41 degrees. That is about 10 degrees warmer than the lowest temperature I usually experience most other years.  At this rate my fruit trees are not going to be happy and will likely reward me with very few apples, oranges and cherries this year.  I might add that during the late 1970's at times it was much colder here.  A couple of years back then it snowed lightly and one amazing January it got down to 25 degrees and stayed there for three days. Now that was cold in a home with little insulation in the attic and single-pane aluminum windows. (Since then I have upgraded both the insulation and installed double-pane windows.)  I don't know about elsewhere, but it sure is starting to feel like "global warming" here to me.  ???
2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM Duke 390, 2002 Yamaha FZ1

hpwaco

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #44 on: January 14, 2019, 03:03:09 pm
Low 30's f here in Waco this am.  Predicting mid 70's later this week.   Guess I'll roll out GT for its new years run.