Author Topic: Winter  (Read 11954 times)

ROVERMAN

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #15 on: December 11, 2018, 08:18:06 pm
Got out last week and promptly got rained on!

gizzo

• Grand Gearhead
  • purple people
Reply #16 on: December 11, 2018, 09:04:22 pm
First week of summer down here.  We've had a couple of stinkers but mostly in the mid 20's. Perfect.
simon from south Australia
Continental GT
Pantah
DR250
DRZ400SM
C90
GSX250E

heloego

• A 2x4. My kingdom for a 2x4!
  • Grand Gearhead
  • USA '12 C5, '06 ElectraX
Reply #17 on: December 12, 2018, 01:20:39 pm
My problem has always been my hands.
Picked up some heated gloves shortly after I got my C5, but the big fail was not warming the backs of my hands on even short rides.
Found a pair from Savior that do the trick nicely. Battery powered, and even on Low setting keep my fingers warm.
https://www.amazon.com/Savior-Rechargeable-Touchscreen-Waterproof-Mountaineering/dp/B072N2BSGD/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?ie=UTF8&qid=1544620860&sr=8-1-spons&keywords=savior+heated+gloves+with+rechargeable+li-ion+battery&psc=1
« Last Edit: December 12, 2018, 04:40:31 pm by heloego »
'18 Bonneville T-100, Blue/White
'12 C5 Classic
'06 Electra X AVL w/32mm Mikuni and Gold Star system.

9fingers

• Grand Gearhead
  • From the New Hampshire part of New Jersey
Reply #18 on: December 12, 2018, 03:29:56 pm
Nice! Price not so bad and maybe it will extend my riding season a month or two. Thanks for posting.
9fingers
Currently own:

2016 Classic Chrome Maroon
2020 Moto Guzzi V7III Special
V Strom 650 ABS Adventure
Beta Rev 3 270
Honda TLR200 custom
Honda TL 250 TMI custom frame
Honda TL 125
Yamaha TY350

Bilgemaster

• Just some guy
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • 2005 Bullet 500ES in "Mean Green" Military Trim
Reply #19 on: December 12, 2018, 07:07:35 pm
Thanks Bilgemaster!

I love the old-school thinking!  ::)  Ordered a Zippo chrome 12 hr version on amazon. It has some fancier do-dads like a handy measuring/fill bottle for perfect no-spill refilling, runs on lighter fluid (some Chinese said kerosene), has new and improved tungsten element... also quick shipping time for almost instant gratification!  If this works out, I might just order another one or two later.    :)

No snow in the North West yet. We just had a cold spell with temps from 30's. A little warmer now... Every winter I do freeze my ass off riding into the mountains, (I'm too stubborn to buy electric gear, seems like a crutch to me, and how do you stay warm if you break down?) so the pocket warmer will be handy!  8)

Seems I recall hearing something about Zippo buying out Aladdin, the Minneapolis-based company that made the old Jon-E handwarmers a while back. Jon-E was pretty much the gold standard for these gizmos, and the older platinum mesh burner element ones still fetch a premium on eBay. Back in the '90s I brought an unseemly amount of them to Russia as gifts along with an armful of little umbrellas with flashlights in their handles. It's considered good form yonder to bring a little gift when visiting someone in their home. Both always were big hits. I'm sure your new Zippo will do the trick. Those cheapo Peacock brand Chinese ones I linked to are also more than "good enough."

Here's a little cost-saving tip if you wind up using yours a lot: Forget that "special" shamelessly overpriced so-called "hand warmer fuel" sold to the gullible for over a buck an ounce. It's just naptha (better known as lighter fluid). Just grab yourself a quart of VM&P Naptha for less than eight bucks (that's 25c an ounce) at your local home improvement joint, and you'll be all set for the next ice age. I've been using it for years in handwarmers of various makes with no ill effect. From time to time I just refill an old plastic Ronsonol Lighter Fluid bottle I have. Just pry off its little flip-spigot top with a screwdriver, pop in the wee funnel, glurp-glurp, click the top back on, and all my handwarmers and lighters are fueled for maybe a year or more. I don't use a little measuring cup any more. I can see when they're full.
So badass my Enfield's actually illegal  in India. Yet it squeaks by here in Virginia.

hpwaco

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #20 on: December 14, 2018, 01:05:56 am
65 f here in Waco today.    Wintery weather alert for tomorrow! 

Bilgemaster

• Just some guy
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #21 on: December 14, 2018, 04:50:00 pm
My problem has always been my hands.
Picked up some heated gloves shortly after I got my C5, but the big fail was not warming the backs of my hands on even short rides.
Found a pair from Savior that do the trick nicely. Battery powered, and even on Low setting keep my fingers warm.
https://www.amazon.com/Savior-Rechargeable-Touchscreen-Waterproof-Mountaineering/dp/B072N2BSGD/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?ie=UTF8&qid=1544620860&sr=8-1-spons&keywords=savior+heated+gloves+with+rechargeable+li-ion+battery&psc=1

Although when need be I've always been a grit-your-teeth-and-bear-it kinda winter rider, as those AARP Newsletters start piling up I'm wondering if maybe it isn't time to treat my gnarly geezing mitts to a pair of heated gloves too, instead of prying my fingers off the handlebars with a screwdriver when I arrive at those wintertime Bikes & Breakfast get togethers.

I dunno if I'm ready to splurge on a pair of those Savior brand gloves for $140. I'm not thinking of making a dash for the Arctic Circle...just want to be a little more comfortable thumping around Virginia backroads when the mercury's maybe in the 30s or low 40s for an hour or three. Rummaging around out there on the Interwebs, I came across these "WarmSpace" branded ones on FleaBay for about 23 bucks delivered. I realize that for the price they can't be all that superb, but then they've got  to be better than my trusty supple leather fair weather riding gloves, unless I'm challenging some miscreant to a duel. I also like the fact that with its USB ports, I should be able to charge these mitts' batteries directly from the bike's little onboard outlet.

Has anyone had any experience with this specific "WarmSpace" brand, I wonder? So far, the most helpful thing I've found is this YouTube video.

I get it that you usually get what you pay for, but often enough that cheapo gear from the Far East can be surprisingly "good enough". Once that slow boat gets here, I'll be sure to let you all know if they're actually rubbish and if I've just flushed Mr. Jackson & Co. down the crapper.

« Last Edit: December 14, 2018, 04:52:18 pm by Bilgemaster »
So badass my Enfield's actually illegal  in India. Yet it squeaks by here in Virginia.

Bmadd34

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #22 on: December 14, 2018, 05:39:31 pm
Although when need be I've always been a grit-your-teeth-and-bear-it kinda winter rider, as those AARP Newsletters start piling up I'm wondering if maybe it isn't time to treat my gnarly geezing mitts to a pair of heated gloves too, instead of prying my fingers off the handlebars with a screwdriver when I arrive at those wintertime Bikes & Breakfast get togethers.

I dunno if I'm ready to splurge on a pair of those Savior brand gloves for $140. I'm not thinking of making a dash for the Arctic Circle...just want to be a little more comfortable thumping around Virginia backroads when the mercury's maybe in the 30s or low 40s for an hour or three. Rummaging around out there on the Interwebs, I came across these "WarmSpace" branded ones on FleaBay for about 23 bucks delivered. I realize that for the price they can't be all that superb, but then they've got  to be better than my trusty supple leather fair weather riding gloves, unless I'm challenging some miscreant to a duel. I also like the fact that with its USB ports, I should be able to charge these mitts' batteries directly from the bike's little onboard outlet.

Has anyone had any experience with this specific "WarmSpace" brand, I wonder? So far, the most helpful thing I've found is this YouTube video.

I get it that you usually get what you pay for, but often enough that cheapo gear from the Far East can be surprisingly "good enough". Once that slow boat gets here, I'll be sure to let you all know if they're actually rubbish and if I've just flushed Mr. Jackson & Co. down the crapper.

Please do let us know as I was contemplating getting heated gloves as well. For those that can, I'm sure these $140 gloves are the bee's knees, but the price coupled with the fact that the name reminds me too
much of liberal "Safe Space" was more than enough to veer me away with a grimace.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2018, 05:42:10 pm by Bmadd34 »
When Life hands you lemons, Squeeze them in his eyes and take his wallet.

Richard230

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #23 on: December 14, 2018, 10:35:15 pm
I bought a set of heated gloves like those "WarmSpace" gloves. While they worked OK, the problem that I had was finding good batteries.  I had to request a battery replacement when one of the batteries wouldn't charge. The second battery that I was sent, also wouldn't hold a charge. However, the third replacement battery turned out to be OK and now I can use them when winter arrives - if it ever does around here.  ::)  I might add that the vendor didn't want the old batteries back, so I guess that tells you something.  ;)
2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM Duke 390, 2002 Yamaha FZ1

heloego

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #24 on: December 14, 2018, 11:18:03 pm
"For those that can, I'm sure these $140 gloves are the bee's knees, but the price coupled with the fact that the name reminds me too."
   I paid $175 for a brand that only warms the palm and inside of the fingers.   At $140, the Savior gloves have kept my WHOLE hand warm in below-freezing temps so far. NO complaints.  :)

I also realize some of the Chinese stuf is a GREAT value for the money! Dog knows I order enough of the stuff.  ::)
   Hoping for the best for all!  ;D

'12 C5 Classic

Bilgemaster

• Just some guy
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #25 on: December 15, 2018, 02:07:24 am
    Please do let us know as I was contemplating getting heated gloves as well. For those that can, I'm sure these $140 gloves are the bee's knees, but the price coupled with the fact that the name reminds me too
much of liberal "Safe Space" was more than enough to veer me away with a grimace.

Will do. As for the brandname "WarmSpace", it triggers me with a whole 'nother vibe, and it ain't political. 'Scuse me now. I'll be in my bunk.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2018, 03:10:55 am by Bilgemaster »

Bert Remington

• Grease Monkey
Reply #26 on: December 15, 2018, 03:43:57 am
All this winter riding talk gave me chills and Bilgemaster's AARP observation reminded me my hands need more TLC these days.  So with that in mind I looked for self-heated (vice motorcycle-heated gloves).  I chose $170 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07995MJFM/ref=psdc_404826011_t1_B076921XHQ because:

(1) for my mountain roads I like leather on my hands.  Synthetics with armor are great for my clothed body but I want animal skins for my exposed skins.

(2) the heating elements are on the back of the hands and fingers which is a good match for my heated handgrips (https://www.amazon.com/Koso-AM111030-Apollo-Heated-Grips/dp/B00T6IX42S).

(3) not only are they made by Milwaukee Leather but they are sold by LeatherUp which just sends tingles through my tender parts. :)  YMMV

BTW if you haven't looked at the Bilgemaster's Bikes & Breakfast photo gallery, do so.  Awesome variety of impressive rides.  Almost...but not quite enough for me to move back to DC and its surrounds.  I did it for a decade and that was enough.  Yes DC is different.  And I didn't have a dog.
2016 RE Classic 500 CA version Fair-Weather Mountain Bike
2014 Can-Am Spyder RT-S SE6 Freeway Commuter Pod

Bilgemaster

• Just some guy
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #27 on: December 15, 2018, 06:08:52 am

[...Snip!]

BTW if you haven't looked at the Bilgemaster's Bikes & Breakfast photo gallery, do so.  Awesome variety of impressive rides.  Almost...but not quite enough for me to move back to DC and its surrounds.  I did it for a decade and that was enough.  Yes DC is different.  And I didn't have a dog.

I can't take credit for that photo gallery, but if you're in Virginia's DC suburbs and find yourself with an open dance.card some 2nd Sunday of the month, you could do worse than hop on your bike and thump on down to Clifton. Even in the dead of winter LOTS of folks show up on some fairly eclectic iron. I mean, how often do you see four Urals in the same place? Bring the wife or girlfriend. Sure, she'll have a Mimosa. She'll want to come back every  month. Clifton is adorable. It sort of reminds me of Woodstock, NY or Yellow Springs, Ohio.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2018, 06:33:53 am by Bilgemaster »

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #28 on: December 15, 2018, 10:49:04 am
You make a good point, Bert - those "Warmspace" gloves look like they might be just the thing for sitting in the stands watching your high school football team duke it out in their old homecoming rivalry, but I'm not sure I'd want to be relying on them for protection if my hands ever met the tarmac at any kind of speed...  but warmer is probably safer, so who am I to judge?

heloego

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #29 on: December 15, 2018, 12:25:12 pm
   I'd ordered the Warmspace gloves from LeatherUp.com but after two weeks I contacted them to ask why my account was charged immediately but they hadn't shipped yet.
   LeatherUp did contact me quickly to say there were none in stock so I got a refund and did my all-to-frequent Amazon thing. Saved $30, so they did me a favor.  ;D
   Doesn't keep me from going back to LeatherUp, though. Good folks!
'12 C5 Classic