Author Topic: Winter  (Read 11924 times)

Bmadd34

• Grand Gearhead
on: December 10, 2018, 02:25:31 pm
Looks like I won't be riding for a bit.... Who else has this affliction?
When Life hands you lemons, Squeeze them in his eyes and take his wallet.

heloego

• A 2x4. My kingdom for a 2x4!
  • Grand Gearhead
  • USA '12 C5, '06 ElectraX
Reply #1 on: December 10, 2018, 03:00:04 pm
Sort of here. Weather's just fine, if somewhat cold (35-45F) days, but re-wiring the sidecar is the current priority.
'18 Bonneville T-100, Blue/White
'12 C5 Classic
'06 Electra X AVL w/32mm Mikuni and Gold Star system.

johno

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2012 B5 on the original Portland Dorset UK
Reply #2 on: December 10, 2018, 04:15:13 pm
I keep riding until it gets to around -5degC (23 deg F) which is quite rare on the south coast of the UK
2012 B5 Bullet
 K&N, sport muffler, 18tooth fr sprocket, Avon style fairing, 1958 pattern British army haversacks. Mitas tyres DiD chain. Carberry plate.

Bmadd34

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: December 10, 2018, 06:08:17 pm
We have about 12'' of snow and temp. in the low teens Fahrenheit here in NC.

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #4 on: December 10, 2018, 07:39:21 pm
We have about 12'' of snow and temp. in the low teens Fahrenheit here in NC.

Just another day, chum!  ;)

Desi Bike

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: December 11, 2018, 12:00:37 am
Minus 9 Celsius (19f) today on the way to work, the weather guy is saying minus 11 tomorrow.  Great day for riding in the cooler air.  The bike runs great with the cooler dense air,  just have to keep in mind that the tire rubber is not very grippy on the cold road surfaces.
Bonus is .... no bugs.
میں نہیں چاہتا کہ ایک اچار
میں صرف اپنی موٹر سائیکل پر سوار کرنا چاہتے ہیں

Bilgemaster

• Just some guy
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • 2005 Bullet 500ES in "Mean Green" Military Trim
Reply #6 on: December 11, 2018, 04:48:39 am
Never fear Madmann! Despite the freak clobbering of that fluffy stuff you got just south of here, which gave North Carolina the dubious distinction of having had more snow this year than Anchorage, Alaska, in about a week or so you'll be back in the balmy mid-50s.

In the meantime, you may contemplate that photo of the outlook from "mattsz's" garage and gratefully imagine a world where that's "normal".
« Last Edit: December 11, 2018, 04:53:09 am by Bilgemaster »
So badass my Enfield's actually illegal  in India. Yet it squeaks by here in Virginia.

Bmadd34

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #7 on: December 11, 2018, 05:34:44 am
Never fear Madmann! Despite the freak clobbering of that fluffy stuff you got just south of here, which gave North Carolina the dubious distinction of having had more snow this year than Anchorage, Alaska, in about a week or so you'll be back in the balmy mid-50s.

In the meantime, you may contemplate that photo of the outlook from "mattsz's" garage and gratefully imagine a world where that's "normal".

That's the plus side of NC, as the snow only lasts about a week, Max. As for a place where that amount of snow fall is normal; I will never live on the other side of the Mason Dixon.

Bilgemaster

• Just some guy
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #8 on: December 11, 2018, 06:37:37 am
So badass my Enfield's actually illegal  in India. Yet it squeaks by here in Virginia.

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #9 on: December 11, 2018, 09:24:21 am
To be fair - that pic I posted wasn't a "normal" snowfall.  It was the result of a New England storm that made the national news just like your one did (and still is), Bmadd.  I can't see the pic in your first post (link says it's 0 kb), but I imagine there was snow in it.  And probably no cows or bikinis...

Bmadd34

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #10 on: December 11, 2018, 12:50:13 pm
I realize the original posts image is not working.

heloego

• A 2x4. My kingdom for a 2x4!
  • Grand Gearhead
  • USA '12 C5, '06 ElectraX
Reply #11 on: December 11, 2018, 01:54:03 pm
Wouldn't mind some kind of ( ANY kind of) moisture here in Albuquerque.  :(
50 miles North in Santa Fe they get all the stuff that once was rain in San Diego two days previous.
'18 Bonneville T-100, Blue/White
'12 C5 Classic
'06 Electra X AVL w/32mm Mikuni and Gold Star system.

Gizmo

• Scooter
Reply #12 on: December 11, 2018, 02:41:05 pm
Tad bit cold to ride for me,  i'm waiting for the temp to hit at least close to 50 Deg F. but first chance its clear i'm out there on the road mark my word.
2018 RE C5 EFI (Gray)

That was Intense, really intense. Well, not Really intense, but pretty intense. ~ Chris Pontius

Bilgemaster

• Just some guy
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #13 on: December 11, 2018, 03:20:51 pm
I've mentioned them before on these forums, but back when I had to  ride in all weathers, a pair of these naptha-powered handwarmers in the jacket's inside breast pockets really helped kept me happy all those long cold grey miles. Why not try one for just $4.98?

Hell, even if you're not scooting around like a human popsicle, hand one of these piping hot to any gal on a cold day at a bus stop, getting in a cold car, or wherever breath is seen, and witness something like real joy...Be a fuckin' gentleman!

« Last Edit: December 12, 2018, 02:39:21 am by Bilgemaster »

Narada

• Grand Gearhead
  • Riding the Madrass Missile!
Reply #14 on: December 11, 2018, 07:35:47 pm
Thanks Bilgemaster!

I love the old-school thinking!  ::)  Ordered a Zippo chrome 12 hr version on amazon. It has some fancier do-dads like a handy measuring/fill bottle for perfect no-spill refilling, runs on lighter fluid (some Chinese said kerosene), has new and improved tungsten element... also quick shipping time for almost instant gratification!  If this works out, I might just order another one or two later.    :)

No snow in the North West yet. We just had a cold spell with temps from 30's. A little warmer now... Every winter I do freeze my ass off riding into the mountains, (I'm too stubborn to buy electric gear, seems like a crutch to me, and how do you stay warm if you break down?) so the pocket warmer will be handy!  8)
Realize your Self on a Royal Enfield.

2015 Classic Chrome/Maroon; "Bholenath", Ported head by GHG, AVL Pistons, Hitchcocks H.P. Cams, PC-V, A/T,  Kenda-761's, Koso TNT, Premium EFI Silencer.

2015 Triumph T-100 Orange/Black, TTP Stage-2 induction
2012 Triumph Scrambler / Dauntless M-72D Sidecar.