Author Topic: Very good Himalayan review  (Read 5231 times)

9fingers

• Grand Gearhead
  • From the New Hampshire part of New Jersey
on: December 09, 2018, 02:07:44 pm
This review and the comments that follow are worth reading if you are thinking of getting one. I wouldn't mind owning one myself.
9fingers

https://www.bennetts.co.uk/bikesocial/reviews/bikes/royal-enfield/royal-enfield-himalyan-road-test-review
Currently own:

2016 Classic Chrome Maroon
2020 Moto Guzzi V7III Special
V Strom 650 ABS Adventure
Beta Rev 3 270
Honda TLR200 custom
Honda TL 250 TMI custom frame
Honda TL 125
Yamaha TY350

Richard230

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: December 09, 2018, 10:36:55 pm
I saw my first Himalayan in the wild today, parked across from Alice's Restaurant in the Santa Cruz Mountains, south of San Francisco.  Photos attached.
2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM Duke 390, 2002 Yamaha FZ1

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #2 on: December 09, 2018, 11:50:55 pm
I saw my first Himalayan in the wild today, parked across from Alice's Restaurant in the Santa Cruz Mountains, south of San Francisco.  Photos attached.

My goodness, that's clean!

Richard230

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: December 10, 2018, 01:39:20 am
My goodness, that's clean!

It ought to be. It looked brand new.  It didn't have its license plate yet, which means that it was probably bought less than two or three weeks ago.

Bilgemaster

• Just some guy
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • 2005 Bullet 500ES in "Mean Green" Military Trim
Reply #4 on: December 10, 2018, 02:33:34 am
I gotta admit: if I were still living in a place where getting around off-road was a regular fact of life, I'd be giving a lot of thought to getting me one of those Himis. Nothing I've seen or read so far has dissuaded me from that notion.
So badass my Enfield's actually illegal  in India. Yet it squeaks by here in Virginia.

Richard230

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: December 10, 2018, 02:15:19 pm
I gotta admit: if I were still living in a place where getting around off-road was a regular fact of life, I'd be giving a lot of thought to getting me one of those Himis. Nothing I've seen or read so far has dissuaded me from that notion.

That is the problem in the SF Bay Area.  Any dirt roads are either private or controlled by government agencies and reserved for the use of hikers, mountain bike riders or horseback riding.  Powered vehicles of any kind, even electric-boosted bicycles, are not allowed and their riders subject to arrest in public opens paces.  Therefore around here the Himalayan would be stuck on paved roads and would have to travel for over a hundred miles at freeway speeds to get to any interesting and legal dirt roads and would have to travel much further to get to single-track trails.  :(  The Himalayan is just not designed for hours of long freeway travel like that. What it needs is a larger engine with more oomph for the U.S. market, in my opinion.

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
  • Everybody's havin' them dreams
Reply #6 on: December 11, 2018, 12:29:50 pm
Therefore around here the Himalayan would be stuck on paved roads and would have to travel for over a hundred miles at freeway speeds to get to any interesting and legal dirt roads and would have to travel much further to get to single-track trails.  :(  The Himalayan is just not designed for hours of long freeway travel like that. What it needs is a larger engine with more oomph for the U.S. market, in my opinion.

So you pick up a good used Ford F-150 that was only driven to Home Depot twice a month for a bag of mulch, get up real early in the morning and drive to where you need to be.

Plan?

RI USA '08 Black AVL Classic.9.8:1 ACEhead/manifold/canister. TM32/Open bottle/hot tube removed. Pertronix Coil. Fed mandates removed. Gr.TCI. Bobber seat. Battery in right side case. Decomp&all doodads removed. '30s Lucas taillight/7" visored headlight. Much blackout & wire/electrical upgrades.

9fingers

• Grand Gearhead
  • From the New Hampshire part of New Jersey
Reply #7 on: December 11, 2018, 12:54:04 pm
That is the problem in the SF Bay Area.  Any dirt roads are either private or controlled by government agencies and reserved for the use of hikers, mountain bike riders or horseback riding.  Powered vehicles of any kind, even electric-boosted bicycles, are not allowed and their riders subject to arrest in public opens paces.  Therefore around here the Himalayan would be stuck on paved roads and would have to travel for over a hundred miles at freeway speeds to get to any interesting and legal dirt roads and would have to travel much further to get to single-track trails.  :(  The Himalayan is just not designed for hours of long freeway travel like that. What it needs is a larger engine with more oomph for the U.S. market, in my opinion.
I did read somewhere, about a 650 twin version of the Himalayan........not sure if it was wishful thinking, but it would not be hard for RE to do.
9fingers
Currently own:

2016 Classic Chrome Maroon
2020 Moto Guzzi V7III Special
V Strom 650 ABS Adventure
Beta Rev 3 270
Honda TLR200 custom
Honda TL 250 TMI custom frame
Honda TL 125
Yamaha TY350

Richard230

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #8 on: December 11, 2018, 02:00:14 pm

So you pick up a good used Ford F-150 that was only driven to Home Depot twice a month for a bag of mulch, get up real early in the morning and drive to where you need to be.

Plan?

That would mean that I would have to drive a car and I just can't stand to be enclosed in a cage.  :o  Besides, everyone around here who drives a pickup is typically a jerk that cuts off other drivers, drives over curbs and lawns to illustrate their off-road driving abilities and takes up two spaces in a parking lot.  Or is driven by a Mexican landscaper with a bed carrying an old Honda lawnmower and a leaf blower powered by a war surplus jet engine that goes into afterburner when someone in the neighborhood is trying to sleep.  ::)  I much prefer drivers of the Smart for Two, as they keep their distance from my motorcycle for fear of being knocked over during a collision.  ;D

Bilgemaster

• Just some guy
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #9 on: December 22, 2018, 07:58:23 pm

This isn't the first time I've heard talk of upping the Himi to a twin, maybe slotting in some version of the new 650 engine. Still, I imagine its present thumpy little single has its very own virtues, like a Bullet, with more than enough all-'round talent to get a fellow with his tent and beans from Pacifica smartly on down around the trails-rich San Jose or Hollister areas to catch some "ridin' dirty" of a weekend. Google Maps' "Avoid Highways" option will get you most pleasantly to your happy places in no time.

As for me, I can't really make a virtue of necessity. The little "off-road riding" I've done wasn't ever really by choice. Having once lived in a Scottish farmhouse more than a mile from the nearest road and later grid-searching the boonies of the Texas Hill Country for dwellings for the U.S. Census, my knocking around the rocks wasn't ever really a "recreational goal".  But fair play to those who do seek out the mud and slime. The Himi should get you there and home again on a tight budget. Why, in no time at all the wife will be hosing you down out back by the petunias before letting you set foot back inside.

"There are my headphones! Sweet!"

« Last Edit: December 22, 2018, 08:18:31 pm by Bilgemaster »
So badass my Enfield's actually illegal  in India. Yet it squeaks by here in Virginia.

Jako

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #10 on: December 26, 2018, 01:44:19 am
10,000_km service  https://youtu.be/W6n0Gq8juzo
2020 Rav Red Interceptor (wife's bike) ,Interceptor 2019 bakers express ,  2021 Honda cb500X, 2021  euro4 Himalayan (wife's)

adclassified

• Vehicles & Vehicles Parts
  • Scooter
Reply #11 on: January 15, 2019, 05:44:29 pm
its amazing

Bilgemaster

• Just some guy
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #12 on: February 07, 2019, 05:46:19 pm
10,000_km service  https://youtu.be/W6n0Gq8juzo

I like that it was in French, but with English subtitles. Listening to it I just feel a bit more civilized already, though oddly enough the intro and other incidental music kind of made me want to put on a big horned helmet, grab my battle-ax, and invade some small coastal fishing village.

I have to admit, I'm really taking a liking to those Himis. They have a marvelous torquey snort pulling up a hill, don't they? I spotted the first used one on eBay a few weeks ago, so maybe there's some real hope I'll get one some day for the kind of fun money I can manage for a new toy.