Author Topic: Haynes manual  (Read 8783 times)

Carlsberg Wordsworth

• Grand Gearhead
on: November 28, 2018, 05:50:34 pm
Always a handy thing to have. Just ordered a copy.

Now available :)

What's covered:

Bullet/Classic 499cc (09 - 18)

Continental GT 535cc (13 - 18)

Thanks to Hitchcocks for the heads up.

https://haynes.com/en-gb/royal-enfield/bullet-classic/2009-2018

hpwaco

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: November 28, 2018, 07:12:49 pm
Site says not available until 30 December.   Online manual says " 1 year subscription".   Presumably its printable.

Carlsberg Wordsworth

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #2 on: November 28, 2018, 08:04:40 pm
I'll keep you posted as I ordered it from Hitchcocks so will see when it actually ships.

Boxerman

• Grease Monkey
  • Lancashire UK
Reply #3 on: November 28, 2018, 08:57:30 pm
I pre-ordered one direct from Haynes a couple of weeks ago. Due to be released at the end of December, but Hitchcocks are saying they have them in stock?

Frank

Carlsberg Wordsworth

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: November 30, 2018, 03:53:00 pm
Well it came today  8)

hpwaco

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: November 30, 2018, 04:28:58 pm
Tried to order from Hitchcock's website but wouldn't go thru.  Have to try again.

Grant Borden

• It's Time to Ride!
  • Grease Monkey
  • It's Time To Ride!!!
Reply #6 on: December 01, 2018, 12:02:06 am
Hpwaco,

Try bookdepository.com for the book.

Grant
2016 Royal Enfield Continental GT
2014 Royal Enfield C5 With Cozy Euro Sidecar

Bilgemaster

• Just some guy
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • 2005 Bullet 500ES in "Mean Green" Military Trim
Reply #7 on: December 05, 2018, 05:11:44 pm
Shame there never appears to have been a Haynes Manual  published for us geezing "Iron Bellied" Bulleteers. A Haynes Norton Commando Service Manual  was my first guide into the dark arts of wrenching and bleeding knuckles. Chilton's offerings are generally OK, I guess. However, I tend to view Clymer's as potentially good firm landfill. I adore Snidal's Bullet Manual. In fact, I'll often read random chapters just 'cause I enjoy his banter. But when getting into the innards of any vehicle I still can't help but think in Haynes terms of "anti-clockwise" and "spanner" and "gudgeon pins held fast by circlips." For those unfamiliar with interpreting Haynesian English, this explanation of commonly used terms thoughtfully provided by 'The Old Coot' to these Forums a couple of years back may be helpful. Until then, as they often advise in the Haynes manuals, in all things remember to "observe effect on performance."

« Last Edit: December 05, 2018, 05:19:55 pm by Bilgemaster »
So badass my Enfield's actually illegal  in India. Yet it squeaks by here in Virginia.

Stanley

• Grease Monkey
Reply #8 on: December 05, 2018, 09:27:27 pm
Prise the circlip, offer the gearbox to its mountings, and scotch the flywheel.

Almost expect to fly wing on wing or luff up and drop the drogue.
Lurker on a Vespa

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #9 on: December 06, 2018, 12:59:55 am
Shame there never appears to have been a Haynes Manual  published for us geezing "Iron Bellied" Bulleteers. A Haynes Norton Commando Service Manual  was my first guide into the dark arts of wrenching and bleeding knuckles. Chilton's offerings are generally OK, I guess. However, I tend to view Clymer's as potentially good firm landfill.

The Clymer manual I just bought is published by the Haynes Publishing Group - I guess they like 'em...

Bilgemaster

• Just some guy
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • 2005 Bullet 500ES in "Mean Green" Military Trim
Reply #10 on: December 06, 2018, 05:43:04 am
The Clymer manual I just bought is published by the Haynes Publishing Group - I guess they like 'em...

Turns out Clymer was jettisoned by its former parent company, the now deceased Penton Media, as non-essential baggage (in Corporate Speak: "to better focus on core concerns and competencies") as its own boat was circling the drain. Clymer was picked up by Haynes at a fire sale price in a bid for broader market share.
So badass my Enfield's actually illegal  in India. Yet it squeaks by here in Virginia.

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #11 on: December 06, 2018, 11:13:04 am
Turns out Clymer was jettisoned by its former parent company, the now deceased Penton Media, as non-essential baggage (in Corporate Speak: "to better focus on core concerns and competencies") as its own boat was circling the drain. Clymer was picked up by Haynes at a fire sale price in a bid for broader market share.

I figured it was something like that... why sell just one mediocre maintenance manual for a specific motorcycle model (or range of models), when you can sell two?

Full disclosure - I'm new to the Haynes/Clymer world; when asking for advice from long time owners of a certain model of 40-year-old Honda four, everyone with an opinion has said that the Haynes and Clymer manuals in question are equally disappointing.  I ended up with a copy of the Clymer, and after reading it cover-to-cover, I'm inclined to agree.  Sketchy details, incorrect (or sometimes multiple) names for the same part, mislabeled diagrams and photos (pretty easily sorted), and outright wrong data, like some clearance and torque specs (not so easily sorted!).

Kind of like the official RE UCE service manual, now that you mention it... must be a long-held tradition in the world of motorcycle maintenance publishing!

Adrian II

• Grand Gearhead
  • Sharing my ignorance with anyone who needs it
Reply #12 on: December 06, 2018, 12:38:24 pm
Commonly known as the Haynes Book of Lies back in the day, hopefully accuracy has much improved.

A.
Grumpy Brit still seeking 500 AVL Bullet perfection! Will let you know if I get anywhere near...

hpwaco

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #13 on: December 06, 2018, 07:13:34 pm
Didn't Clymer have something to do with the AMA and also publish a magazine?    His early Japanese bike manuals were pretty much rubbish.    Had Haynes CX500 and H1 manuals and they were OK.

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #14 on: December 06, 2018, 09:05:12 pm
...His early Japanese bike manuals were pretty much rubbish...

Hmm... as in, mid-70's CB fours?

BTW, I lied earlier about being new to the Haynes/Clymer world... my BMW R60/6 came with a Clymer manual - but I can't remember if it was any good or not.  I never really used it for maintenance; the only major maintenance I did on the bike was alongside other guys who had experience with them, so I didn't use the book!  Then I sold the bike on after a short while, a decision I properly regret...  :(