Author Topic: Any Canadian horologists on board?  (Read 1195 times)

longstrokeclassic

• Grand Gearhead
on: November 28, 2018, 03:31:29 pm
Because I'm in need of a little help :)

I am trying to find an approximate year of manufacture (or rather assembly) of an open case BIRKS pocket watch I have been gifted which has been in my family for several generations. It has a Zenith 15 Jewels movement inside an Empress A.W.C.CO case.

The movement serial number has seven digits  2940xxx
The case serial number has 5 digits  64xxx
although the screw on back is numbered 4064xxx

https://imgur.com/a/2C4oJv8

Thanks in anticipation.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2018, 12:29:41 pm by portisheadric »
Never underestimate the value of improved combustion efficiency and reducing parasitic engine and rolling chassis losses.

hpwaco

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: November 28, 2018, 07:04:38 pm
Try checking with the National  Association of Watch and Clock Collectors in Columbia, Pennsylvania  at:  nawcc.org.   They have several local chapters in Canada.

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #2 on: November 29, 2018, 12:47:24 am
portisheadric

It's a good idea to go back into your post and replace the last digit or the last two digits of those serial numbers/part numbers with lower case X's.

You can change your posts at any time so now is the time to do it.

I mention this because there are low life people who read internet posts and in the past, some of these people have turned a "Stolen" report to the police complete with serial numbers.
If one of these cruds do that, your watch will be listed on the police stolen property lists which are shared throughout the nation.

Just saying.....
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

longstrokeclassic

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: November 29, 2018, 12:37:30 pm
Thanks for the help and advice.  I deliberately left the last digit missing (having similar crime related thoughts) but have now removed another two which should leave sufficient information remaining to help pin down a year. 
I've bookmarked NAWCC and will check their site later. 

edit.  have discovered the movement would appear to have been manufactured late 1929  :)
« Last Edit: November 29, 2018, 02:20:35 pm by portisheadric »
Never underestimate the value of improved combustion efficiency and reducing parasitic engine and rolling chassis losses.