aboard

Author Topic: Battery cover lock...  (Read 255 times)

General_Apathy

• Neophyte
on: November 27, 2018, 04:38:47 pm
So I went to put the bike on trickle charge this morning and when I came to take the battery cover off found that my key would hardly go into the lock. After a morning of squirting WD40 and a fair bit of waggling I am still no further on. Hoping that the WD will work its magic over night but I was wondering if anyone else has encountered this issue?

Guaire

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: November 27, 2018, 06:34:55 pm
Try pushing in on the side cover and wiggle the whole cover back and forth. There is a long latch lever attached to the lock cylinder. It might be pressing on the lock cylinder.

Cheers,
Bill
ACE Motors - sales & administration

Bert Remington

• Grease Monkey
Reply #2 on: November 27, 2018, 06:40:30 pm
On my C5 I had a problem with aftermarket (non-RE) key blanks.  They worked in the ignition lock but not in the other locks.
2016 RE Classic 500 CA version
2012 MG Norge 1200GT 8V roller lifters
2000 BMW R1100RT

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
  • There Are No Truths Outside The Gates Of Eden
Reply #3 on: November 27, 2018, 08:22:58 pm
So I went to put the bike on trickle charge this morning and when I came to take the battery cover off found that my key would hardly go into the lock. After a morning of squirting WD40 and a fair bit of waggling I am still no further on. Hoping that the WD will work its magic over night but I was wondering if anyone else has encountered this issue?

I wonder if it's actually your KEY that's binding up.

If it's at all similar to the one on my '08 AVL it isn't a WD-40 problem. It's a push-pull wiggle-waggle problem that drove me nuts, hurt my fingers and wrists and generally pissed me off.

Sometime very early in the bike's life I got rid of the whole shootin' match; bracket, cover and battery. I found a Motobatt that would just neatly fit into the right hand case. Lightened the load by about 8 pounds and gave me the perfect place (and bolt hole) to mount my Pertronix coil. Win win  :)
« Last Edit: November 27, 2018, 08:25:22 pm by tooseevee »
2008 AVL Classic.Extensive head work by Ace.Ace canister/TM32/Ace manifold.Small open bottle/hot tube removed.Pertronix Coil.Bobber seat.Fed mandates removed.Battery in right side case.Decomp&all doodads removed.'30s Lucas taillight/7" headlight.

General_Apathy

• Neophyte
Reply #4 on: November 28, 2018, 01:23:25 am
Thanks for the tips. Will update once battle has resumed!

dickim

• Grease Monkey
Reply #5 on: November 28, 2018, 06:49:52 am
been reading this thread & thinkingI had better checkmy C5 - then the bloody thing fell off today! my fault for not checking it was fully latched!! few chips & dented corner so not to bad but pissed off - moral, check don't think about...

GlennF

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #6 on: November 28, 2018, 08:04:43 pm
Slightly offtopic - but do not use WD40 on locks, particularly if you ride on gravel. It has a tendency to attract dirt and gunk and clog the lock.

Powdered graphite or light machine oil (but not both in the same lock!) are better options.

General_Apathy

• Neophyte
Reply #7 on: November 29, 2018, 06:16:38 am
Slightly offtopic - but do not use WD40 on locks, particularly if you ride on gravel. It has a tendency to attract dirt and gunk and clog the lock.

Powdered graphite or light machine oil (but not both in the same lock!) are better options.

Thanks for the heads up 👍

So got the cover off, finally. It was either one of two things, or maybe a combination. Having a look behind the cover I could see the tool bag and figured maybe that was getting in the way. Moved it around but still no joy. 5 minutes more of fanangaling the key and lock and it's off. May have been the tools but would have expected the latch to move a little bit at least. Looking at the latch it was quite badly corroded and stiff. Interesting there was a fair bit of moisture in there which was odd and then I noticed the battery was slightly leaking. On further investigation after getting the battery out there was crystals in the tray so it's been going on for a bit. Cleaned everything up and lubed the latch and we are golden. Think I will swap the battery out for a lighter one 👌

hpwaco

• Grease Monkey
Reply #8 on: November 29, 2018, 06:36:10 pm
What kind of battery do you have in your GT that its leaking?   Dealer had put a sealed one in my 14GT.   Finally replaced it with a Duracell agm from Batteries Plus this year.   Tool box is wide open.  Found many of my cheap factoy  tools rusty early on.

General_Apathy

• Neophyte
Reply #9 on: November 29, 2018, 08:04:52 pm
What kind of battery do you have in your GT that its leaking?   Dealer had put a sealed one in my 14GT.   Finally replaced it with a Duracell agm from Batteries Plus this year.   Tool box is wide open.  Found many of my cheap factoy  tools rusty early on.
It's the standard GT battery as far as I know?