Author Topic: Why Are Some Postings "Wider" Than Others?  (Read 1818 times)

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
  • Everybody's havin' them dreams
on: November 17, 2018, 01:55:42 pm
       ??? ??? ???

And it seems random; no rhyme or reason.

Is it each person's individual settings?
RI USA '08 Black AVL Classic.9.8:1 ACEhead/manifold/canister. TM32/Open bottle/hot tube removed. Pertronix Coil. Fed mandates removed. Gr.TCI. Bobber seat. Battery in right side case. Decomp&all doodads removed. '30s Lucas taillight/7" visored headlight. Much blackout & wire/electrical upgrades.

heloego

• A 2x4. My kingdom for a 2x4!
  • Grand Gearhead
  • USA '12 C5, '06 ElectraX
Reply #1 on: November 18, 2018, 12:39:30 pm
Good question.
When I post it's a 50/50 chance the message box will be either full-sized or half-sized on the right side of the window.
'18 Bonneville T-100, Blue/White
'12 C5 Classic
'06 Electra X AVL w/32mm Mikuni and Gold Star system.

Richard230

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #2 on: November 18, 2018, 01:36:53 pm
Good question.
When I post it's a 50/50 chance the message box will be either full-sized or half-sized on the right side of the window.

Same here.  Like right now I am typing in the small box.  The other irritation is that I get the error screen if I try to make a post that is too wordy.   :(
2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM Duke 390, 2002 Yamaha FZ1

Bilgemaster

• Just some guy
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • 2005 Bullet 500ES in "Mean Green" Military Trim
Reply #3 on: November 18, 2018, 02:42:08 pm
      ??? ??? ???

And it seems random; no rhyme or reason.

Is it each person's individual settings?

If I understand your question correctly, and you're talking about the width of the margins of an actual forum posting and not the editing window, then it most likely has to do with a large wide inline image in a posting knocking out those margin walls.

However, it appears the forum system admins may have very recently implemented an automatic image resizer function to keep this margin drift from occurring. The following originally 1200 x 1800 image has been automatically and proportionally "system resized" upon posting to "width=512 height=768". So, that whole margins to the horizon  thing may well be a thing of the past.  But if you click the image, and you know you want to, you can see it uncorrected and watch those margins blast outwards. Click it again, and both she and the margins will spring back to "manageable"...

"I am in dire need of proper riding attire"
« Last Edit: November 18, 2018, 03:40:26 pm by Bilgemaster »
So badass my Enfield's actually illegal  in India. Yet it squeaks by here in Virginia.

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
  • Everybody's havin' them dreams
Reply #4 on: November 18, 2018, 03:54:34 pm
If I understand your question correctly, and you're talking about the width of the margins of an actual forum posting and not the editing window, then it most likely has to do with a large wide inline image in a posting knocking out those margin walls.

However, it appears the forum system admins may have very recently implemented an automatic image resizer function to keep this margin drift from occurring. The following originally 1200 x 1800 image has been automatically and proportionally "system resized" upon posting to "width=512 height=768". So, that whole margins to the horizon  thing may well be a thing of the past.  But if you click the image, and you know you want to, you can see it uncorrected and watch those margins blast outwards. Click it again, and both she and the margins will spring back to "manageable"...

She could sit on my, uuhhh, seat any time.

Oh and thanks for the explanation also :) :) :)
RI USA '08 Black AVL Classic.9.8:1 ACEhead/manifold/canister. TM32/Open bottle/hot tube removed. Pertronix Coil. Fed mandates removed. Gr.TCI. Bobber seat. Battery in right side case. Decomp&all doodads removed. '30s Lucas taillight/7" visored headlight. Much blackout & wire/electrical upgrades.

Carlsberg Wordsworth

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: November 18, 2018, 05:26:43 pm
I've had trouble posting full stop.

Always a database error.

*edit*

bloody hell! It worked for once.

Bilgemaster

• Just some guy
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • 2005 Bullet 500ES in "Mean Green" Military Trim
Reply #6 on: November 18, 2018, 10:09:15 pm
I've had trouble posting full stop.

Always a database error.

*edit*

bloody hell! It worked for once.

"full stop"..."bloody hell!"...Ahhh! British keyboard detected. That may be your problem right there.

If you look at even this very webpage's HTML source code (right-click anywhere on page, View Page Source) you'll see near the top that for some reason, instead of some nice versatile flavor of Unicode like "UTF-8" the admins have the default supported character set set to "charset=ISO-8859-1", which is the motive typographical equivalent of Good Olde Fashioned Yankee Buggy Whip Oil. Your keyboard's Imperial pretensions may be giving the Forum database's ultra-primitivo text handling mapping a blighty case of the vapours, even through some otherwise unexotic character.

A Traditional British Keyboard
(for Unicode substitute hedgehogs)
« Last Edit: November 18, 2018, 10:31:25 pm by Bilgemaster »
So badass my Enfield's actually illegal  in India. Yet it squeaks by here in Virginia.

Carlsberg Wordsworth

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #7 on: November 24, 2018, 08:53:54 pm
Ah. Thanks for the explanation Bilgemaster.

I had to do a bit of a Google on it after though :)