Author Topic: Feeling Stupid  (Read 2902 times)

Dennisgb

• Scooter
on: November 13, 2018, 11:18:19 pm
I completed my engine rebuild after it threw a rod.

IMG_0234 by dennisgb, on Flickr

Installed the engine and it fired right up.

IMG_3233 by dennisgb, on Flickr

But...it's leaking oil out of the left hand shift rod at the case :o

I used a right hand shift engine case gasket and didn't see that it was the incorrect gasket.

Feeling very stupid...now I need to tear the engine back down.

Maybe I could blame old age...I need a good reason for such a dumb mistake.

« Last Edit: November 13, 2018, 11:21:48 pm by Dennisgb »
Brakes are Good, Tires are Bare

Dennisgb

• Scooter
Reply #1 on: November 14, 2018, 02:12:20 am
The difference between the gaskets circled in red  ::)

gaskets by dennisgb, on Flickr

ivantheterrible

• Bulleteer
Reply #2 on: November 14, 2018, 02:15:37 am
condolences. That can be very frustrating. I've not done that exactly, but I have reinstalled an engine after a rebuild only to find that something was wrong and it needs to come out.
2007 sportster 883, yamaha vino 125, 2005 Nfield sixty 5 military with Hitchcock 612 kit

Dennisgb

• Scooter
Reply #3 on: November 14, 2018, 02:27:56 am
condolences. That can be very frustrating. I've not done that exactly, but I have reinstalled an engine after a rebuild only to find that something was wrong and it needs to come out.

Thanks, I've rebuilt and built many engines over the years so not a novice mistake...but this was my first Enfield. I find that the parts are difficult to determine proper fit because there are so many iterations of the bike. I purchased the gasket set from a reputable vendor and it was supposed to be the correct set. I should have caught it tho.

I've been following your issues with your Bullet. The video is a bit strange how the shift lever can move that far...looks like it may be a broken shaft or the detents gone.

ivantheterrible

• Bulleteer
Reply #4 on: November 14, 2018, 01:06:18 pm
interesting you should mention all the different iterations....I really struggle with that as well.

Thanks for the comment on the video. Yes, i guess I need to dig into that side of things deeper. unfortunately i have a major house redo underway so my time to work on it is sporadic at best. I'll get there though.
2007 sportster 883, yamaha vino 125, 2005 Nfield sixty 5 military with Hitchcock 612 kit

Adrian II

• Grand Gearhead
  • Sharing my ignorance with anyone who needs it
Reply #5 on: November 14, 2018, 02:22:47 pm
All the while the factory was turning out kick-start iron-barrel 350s with right-foot shift gear boxes life was simple.

Then they brought back the 500.

Then the 350 AVL models.

Then the 500 5 speed models.

Then the 350 5 speed models.

Then the 500 AVL models.

Not sure, but I think that towards the end of the non-UCE/EFI years they had one set of right-hand crankcase castings for all the K/S models and another set for all the E/S models (including 350s in India), machined according to what bits were being fitted.

This is why the later l/h crankcase halves have the metal in place for both k/s and e/s chaincase fixings, and the r/h cases have the alloy blob in place for the different AVL return oilways even on late iron barrel engines.

My big head Bullet engine is built into a set of right-foot shift e/s crankcases from 2001-ish. both crankcase halves have the cast alloy lump inside the oil tank which would have been bored out for the gearchange shaft tunnel on left-foot shift 5 speed bikes, the one which leaked on Dennisgb's engine when fitted with the wrong gasket.

If you haven't got a parts book for your model I thoroughly recommend the on-line parts books on Hitchcocks' web site.

A.

Grumpy Brit still seeking 500 AVL Bullet perfection! Will let you know if I get anywhere near...

Dennisgb

• Scooter
Reply #6 on: November 14, 2018, 02:40:22 pm
I do have the parts manual. I ordered the gasket set from India. It was supposed to be 5 Speed 500 CI...but turned out to not be as advertised. Being new to these bikes I was not in tune with the subtle difference between the gaskets. I feel like I should have noticed the boss on the casting though.

At least I won't need to go through the crankshaft truing process again  ;D

D2988F43-35C6-4263-85A7-9E4AC2D1026C by dennisgb, on Flickr

Unlucky_soul

• Scooter
Reply #7 on: November 14, 2018, 05:21:37 pm
I feel you brother... Happened to me as well.

One day my bike wouldn't start. Checked spark plugs.. they were firing. Checked ignition timing. Cleaned cb points n refitted it. Still not starting.

Jumpstarted the bike. Still nope.

Spent like 30 mins trying to start her till I found out the reason why she wouldn't start.

Frigging fuel tap was closed.

heloego

• A 2x4. My kingdom for a 2x4!
  • Grand Gearhead
  • USA '12 C5, '06 ElectraX
Reply #8 on: November 14, 2018, 05:58:18 pm
More "Feel for You" from here.
Had the Electra all packed up and ready go for a nice long shakedown from Albuquerque to Aurora at 7:00 AM one morning.
 Wouldn't start, and I had to make tracks, so I swapped all my gear over to the C5 and made the trip.
When I got back the first thing I noticed was the Run switch in the Kill position.  :-[
'18 Bonneville T-100, Blue/White
'12 C5 Classic
'06 Electra X AVL w/32mm Mikuni and Gold Star system.

Guaire

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #9 on: November 14, 2018, 08:29:08 pm
More "Feel for You" from here.
Had the Electra all packed up and ready go for a nice long shakedown from Albuquerque to Aurora at 7:00 AM one morning.
 Wouldn't start, and I had to make tracks, so I swapped all my gear over to the C5 and made the trip.
When I got back the first thing I noticed was the Run switch in the Kill position.  :-[

That's bad.
Then there was time on my 2014 GT I kept trying and failing to get the transmission into neutral. I figured out I wasn't on a right hand shifter and stopped stepping on the rear brake.
ACE Motors - sales & administration

Dennisgb

• Scooter
Reply #10 on: November 14, 2018, 10:54:48 pm
I appreciate the responses. It makes me feel a little better. I wish it was something as simple as a switch or a fuel tap.  ;)

I have to take the engine back out and tear it down to fix it though.

Here's the bike in the shop waiting for me...I had to walk away for a bit to regenerate.  ;D

IMG_0256 by dennisgb, on Flickr

heloego

• A 2x4. My kingdom for a 2x4!
  • Grand Gearhead
  • USA '12 C5, '06 ElectraX
Reply #11 on: November 15, 2018, 02:31:16 am
That's a nice IB!
Where'd you get the saddle?
'18 Bonneville T-100, Blue/White
'12 C5 Classic
'06 Electra X AVL w/32mm Mikuni and Gold Star system.

Dennisgb

• Scooter
Reply #12 on: November 15, 2018, 03:24:19 am
The saddle was on the bike when I bought it.

It's actually a hack bike, but the sidecar is off while I rebuild the engine.

I bought the rig with a blown engine.

bike by dennisgb, on Flickr