Author Topic: Did anyone notice the $5 donation flyby page?  (Read 5599 times)

Bert Remington

• Grease Monkey
on: November 12, 2018, 01:33:27 am
I made a suggestion in Forum Improvements to add a link at the top of every page (same line as Home, Search, etc) for a Donation page.  Our hosts did provide such a link but its hidden in a flyby page you only see when you logout or go to the Home page.  And you're limited to $5 because the amount field seems to be locked.  Anyway I made my donation but took the opportunity to basically repeat my suggestion.  I recommend you do the same (donate and suggest putting the Donation link on every page).
2016 RE Classic 500 CA version Fair-Weather Mountain Bike
2014 Can-Am Spyder RT-S SE6 Freeway Commuter Pod

Guaire

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: November 12, 2018, 01:39:24 am
I found it.
ACE Motors - sales & administration

Grant Borden

• It's Time to Ride!
  • Grease Monkey
  • It's Time To Ride!!!
Reply #2 on: November 12, 2018, 02:14:38 am
I also found it, had it been a snake it could have bit me.

Grant
2016 Royal Enfield Continental GT
2014 Royal Enfield C5 With Cozy Euro Sidecar

Bilgemaster

• Just some guy
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • 2005 Bullet 500ES in "Mean Green" Military Trim
Reply #3 on: November 12, 2018, 03:21:09 pm
Thanks for the tip! Abe's on his way to save the day!

Hopefully they'll use it to hire a practiced SMF code monkey to sort out some of the nagging issues of this "New and Improved" forum system.

I, for one, would like to be able to post using symbols again without the whole plot seizing up, and not have my earlier postings with symbols made through the old system now resemble Romulan street signs.
So badass my Enfield's actually illegal  in India. Yet it squeaks by here in Virginia.

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #4 on: November 12, 2018, 03:24:18 pm
Donate to whom?
Home of the Fireball 535 !

Bert Remington

• Grease Monkey
Reply #5 on: November 12, 2018, 04:07:58 pm
To: MJ Sales.  Purpose: Royal Enfield Form [sic]

wildbill

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #6 on: November 12, 2018, 10:55:28 pm
as a breeder on the bird forum I donated $100 to help keep it running as I make  pretty good $$$$ per year. now if this forum ran like it use to in the old days I would be happy to make a good donation ...but unfortunately not so!

Bilgemaster

• Just some guy
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #7 on: November 13, 2018, 12:29:39 am
To: MJ Sales.  Purpose: Royal Enfield Form [sic]

To clarify, "M.J. Sales" appears to be an arm of Baker Motorsports, our Forum hosts. See: http://www.mjsalescycles.com/. According to its About Us   page, "Baker Motorsport Co., previously known as MJ Sales, and Royal Enfield are the same company, merged in 2011".

So, I'm pretty confident my fiver will find its way towards this Forum.
So badass my Enfield's actually illegal  in India. Yet it squeaks by here in Virginia.

Bert Remington

• Grease Monkey
Reply #8 on: November 13, 2018, 01:04:08 am
Ahhh yes wildbill you've touched on the basic conundrum: fix or fail.  As an engineer who was brought in several times to assess project status and future, I had to make this recommendation.  Some factors. Is this project worthwhile to its audience?  Is there a possible path to improvement within available resources?  My evaluations resulted in changes resulting in deployed projects and, in one case, the termination of a major project with the loss of hundreds of engineering-related jobs in the VA area.

I'm fairly new here but I've searched the archives for information and I've been rewarded accordingly.  But something has changed in Ft Worth.  Kevin seems to be standing back.  Tim is recovering from injuries.  Etc etc.  I can only see shadows -- I don't want to inquire more closely.

Is this forum worth money to me?  Yes!  That's why I suggested the addition of a Donate button, albeit CMW implemented it in a less obvious manner than I suggested.  I won't say how much money but you and I are in the same donation category.

What would I do if this forum disappeared?  First of all, I would kick myself for not printing out more articles (I have plenty of paper and ink so this is on me).  Secondly, I would re-examine my MG decision.  Same weight as RE with classic looks and modern (Gen III) engine.  Thirdly, I'd probably switch from IPAs to something Irish for a few days.  It would be that serious of a loss to me.

So is this project (ie forum) worthwhile to it's audience?  Very much so for many members.

Can this project be improved within available resources?  Hard to say from my distance but my sense is CMW has downsized their organization responsible for their line-of-business website as well as this forum, albeit at a lower priority.

As we look at the indicators for a 2019 recession, what should be our course of action?  I think inexpensive urban motorcycles like RE's will hold their own especially if fuel prices stay high.  So therefore my recommendations are to continue suggesting forum improvements and to make your donations at the amount this forum is worth to you personally.

Bilgemaster

• Just some guy
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #9 on: November 13, 2018, 04:15:15 am
I concur with my man Bert Remington. Currently I regularly participate in two other forums besides this, and both have also recently had "issues" of one sort or another. It just comes with the territory...and those weren't even "system migration cramps" like we're suffering. Moving to any new system architecture always  hikes the likelihood of problems to a whole new level.

Before I lunged for that early retirement brass ring about a year ago, I also had a hand in several large database migrations over nearly a quarter century--catalog style databases mostly, of both the "flat-file" and "relational" type, with frequent integrations of both styles. I know firsthand what a fogbound snark hunt moving one's data to a new "home" can be. And with a working active forum like this, I imagine it's like building an airplane next to the one you're flying and then leaping aboard the new one and hoping for the best.

I just hope they use my donation and others' to bring in an SMF pro familiar with its quirks and not just throw it into the office coffee jar. In the meantime, whoever the hell's minding the shop in Ft. Worth might do well to pipe up here now and then with a word or two of encouragement or an appeal for patience.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2018, 04:33:05 am by Bilgemaster »

wildbill

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #10 on: November 13, 2018, 04:19:44 am
you would probably say that the material from previous years was better reading too  ;) lately when I have tried to entered a longer than normal run of text with photos and tried to post ...I've got an error message and lost the frigg'in lot. not so with the old format days.
now that $5 option could be the beginning to opening a locked bagged for some members. for example those who threw out the coin could/should be entitled to enter a section which houses a buy/swap/sell section not available to the non-payers...LOL
I would ban them from entry including myself till he/she shells out the fees...LOL
there may be other benefits too. have not thought of then yet but for the annual fee of whatever and if it could improve the running of a great forum BUT first it has to improve it!...LOL
I could say make em all pay or let them move on BUT there are always cheapskates who will not pay. even I can't cover them...LOL

wildbill

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #11 on: November 13, 2018, 04:20:50 am
sorry BM almost ran over you

Bilgemaster

• Just some guy
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #12 on: November 13, 2018, 05:16:02 pm
you would probably say that the material from previous years was better reading too  ;) lately when I have tried to entered a longer than normal run of text with photos and tried to post ...I've got an error message and lost the frigg'in lot. not so with the old format days.
now that $5 option could be the beginning to opening a locked bagged for some members. for example those who threw out the coin could/should be entitled to enter a section which houses a buy/swap/sell section not available to the non-payers...LOL
I would ban them from entry including myself till he/she shells out the fees...LOL
there may be other benefits too. have not thought of then yet but for the annual fee of whatever and if it could improve the running of a great forum BUT first it has to improve it!...LOL
I could say make em all pay or let them move on BUT there are always cheapskates who will not pay. even I can't cover them...LOL

There's a lot to unpack there, Wildbill:

• To avoid having one's long and finely-crafted forum post (some old guys whittle, I fuss like Rain Man over my random verbose forum posts) blasted irretrievably into the aether by some glitch, get into the habit of copying the lot before hitting that <Post> button. In Windows, a simple <Ctrl><A> ("Select All") followed by a <Ctrl><C> ("Copy") will salvage the lot if it all goes tits up. Until you copy something else, <Ctrl><V> ("Paste") will salvage it--or, simply open Notepad and save it permanently, BBcode links and all. It takes just seconds, and puts the brakes on the seething frustration of time truly wasted (as opposed to "merely wasted", when one's 1,000 word essay on The Virtues of Supple Grommets  actually gets through just fine). If you can't be bothered to remember those Control hotkeys, you can also use the mouse's right-click to call up those same Copy, Select All, and Paste functions

• I'm pretty sure "pay for play" is not the way to go for this Forum. I'm happy to toss a few bucks into a kitty to help make it better, but making that a requirement for full access? I expect it would just have a chilling effect. What little I can bring to the table here I do not do for the greater glory of Baker Motorsports. I'm grateful they're hosting this great tool, and I express this by making a special point of ordering my needful Enfield items from Ft. Worth, but the freely-given knowledge of Forum members should remain free.

• As for "Members Only Ads," it seems this might often be a case of closing that barn door when the horse is already on its way to some other meadow. I imagine that many of those selling an Enfield may be giving up on the breed entirely. Perhaps it's unsuitable for their needs. Fair enough. Why make them pay to pass that thumper on before moving along and no longer caring half a hoot about that clever new grommet fix of yours? I'd rather see what bargains are out there. Besides, there's already David Blasco's superb blog. Mind you, if Baker Motorsports wanted to pass along an occasional limited stock closeout bargain or some special coupon or maybe some swaggy little doodads like pins, patches or stickers to donors as little perks, how could one object to that? So long as they don't commence basically spamming the goodwilled with ads for the humdrum.

Anyhow, keep it free is what I say. And for all my whining about the fact that I can no longer display symbols like umlauts, degree signs, the proper currency glyph of Remulak, or other fare from the deepest recesses of Character Map, be grateful it's not the Official  Royal Enfield Community Forum hosted by the folks in Chennai, 'cause that digital gurken hasn't worked at all in well over a year. And when it still did, it had devolved chiefly into a venue for subcontinental spamshites flogging their Golden Scrotum Beauty Cream.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2018, 05:56:19 pm by Bilgemaster »

Bert Remington

• Grease Monkey
Reply #13 on: November 13, 2018, 06:06:27 pm
Full concurrence with our Poet Laureate Bilgemaster.

But its gonna take some time to erase that Supple Grommets image from my mind. ;D

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #14 on: November 14, 2018, 09:24:35 am
As for "Members Only Ads," it seems this might often be a case of closing that barn door when the horse is already on its way to some other meadow. I imagine that many of those selling an Enfield may be giving up on the breed entirely. Perhaps it's unsuitable for their needs. Fair enough. Why make them pay to pass that thumper on before moving along and no longer caring half a hoot about that clever new grommet fix of yours?

Interesting point.  I wonder how many members here have given up, either temporarily or permanently, on RE yet remain active on the forum?

...And when it still did, it had devolved chiefly into a venue for subcontinental spamshites flogging their Golden Scrotum Beauty Cream.

I tried some of that - I thought I noticed a mild improvement, but my wife says no...