Author Topic: Taillight choice  (Read 3782 times)

The Garbone

• Shade Tree
  • Grand Gearhead
  • User Complaints: 22
Reply #15 on: October 06, 2008, 11:54:35 pm
I actually sold a 98 Tacoma  in 2006 and  bought my F-150 Lariat used and still had $500 cash and cheaper insurance, and now I have three times the truck.  I love everything but the 14mpg it gets.
Gary
57' RE Crusader 250
67' Ford Mustang
74' Catalina 27 "Knot a Clew"
95 RE Ace Clubman 535
01 HD 1200 Custom
07 RE 5spd HaCK

* all actions described in this post are fictional *

northshore_paul

• Bulleteer
  • Remember...all roads come to an end mon ami.
Reply #16 on: October 07, 2008, 02:45:00 am
Gary,that taillight looks sweet,so that seals the deal it is the one I will get. I see your bullet turn signal indicators and I have a question. I saw one up close and the way it mounts on the fender carrier with that metal base, it looks like it will tear into the paint and I guess it needs to for some electrical contact since there is no ground wire. Did you find it messes up your paint? And thanks again for the photos it really helps in making a decision.
'01 Kawasaki W650
'06 Suzuki Burgman 400
'03 Bullet Classic gone to a new home
'84 BMW R100 gone to a new home
'94 Honda PC800 gone to a new home

The Garbone

• Shade Tree
  • Grand Gearhead
  • User Complaints: 22
Reply #17 on: October 07, 2008, 03:09:59 am
On the rears signals I just bolted them on and the grounding was fine, probably because the stock seat bolts had already damaged the coating.  I imagine I will have a little corrosion but since I am inland and we have no road salt/snow I am not all that concerned.

For the turn signals the fronts were the ones I had to work at to get a good ground,  had to pull the brackets and file things to get a good ground.
Gary
57' RE Crusader 250
67' Ford Mustang
74' Catalina 27 "Knot a Clew"
95 RE Ace Clubman 535
01 HD 1200 Custom
07 RE 5spd HaCK

* all actions described in this post are fictional *

Slider

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #18 on: October 07, 2008, 05:39:56 pm
I have to amend my earlier post about the tombstone light not being flush with the fender. It didn't appear to be flush when the bike was delivered to my house, but it turns out that it is. When I took it apart, I didn't consider how the dealer had stuffed the wiring into it when he installed it. But after trying to re-install it myself, I see now that the trick is to get the wiring stuffed into the hollows inside the housing so it can be pulled all the way against the fender when you tighten the bolts. If you can do that, it's a good fit, and with the rubber gasket in place, it seals just fine.

I don't think the dealer worried about that too much when he put it on, but now I see the difference it makes.

I must retreat to my place of Zen and meditate on this.