Author Topic: Want a 1941 BSA "Winter Project"?  (Read 3276 times)

Bilgemaster

• Just some guy
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • 2005 Bullet 500ES in "Mean Green" Military Trim
on: November 11, 2018, 03:26:56 pm
I need yet another vehicle "project" like a pair of gills, but I have to admit I paused just a bit when I spotted what looks like it could be a promising candidate for a little TLC on craigslist this morning at https://frederick.craigslist.org/mcy/d/1941-bsa/6745092895.html asking $1,800 in Frederick, Maryland. If it had been a Norton 16H or Model 18 in similar shape at that asking price, needed or not, I might be on my way to Frederick right now instead of writing this. But that just speaks to my own odd predilection for that breed.

Judging from the pix alone, it appears to be a 1941 BSA M20 500cc wartime thumper that's more or less all there, and actually doesn't  look like it's been stored in the hold of the Titanic these many years. Definitely a bit of surface rust, but I've seen far worse come back from the brink.

If one of you is looking for something to keep you from resorting to talking to the snowman over the next few frigid months, maybe tinkering with this authentic old girder-forked wartime thumper will keep you from checking into the Cabin Fever Motel.

Non-Standard Disclaimer: I have no personal knowledge of either the bike or its seller, so caveat emptor, baby.

« Last Edit: November 11, 2018, 03:46:10 pm by Bilgemaster »
So badass my Enfield's actually illegal  in India. Yet it squeaks by here in Virginia.

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #1 on: November 11, 2018, 05:07:13 pm
Oh, no... this is your project, Bilgemaster!  I can think of no better way to keep from resorting to talking to the snowman over the next few frigid months than to follow your detailed restoration report.  Hell, if I had a spare $2k sitting around, I'd buy it for you - a wise investment in entertainment value alone...

Stanley

• Grease Monkey
Reply #2 on: November 11, 2018, 06:35:08 pm
I was seeking this very bike when I bought my IB!
Luckily it's on the East coast, far from me and SWMBO!
...but if I hadn't just bought that Suzuki.... ::)
Lurker on a Vespa