Author Topic: Using decompressor to stop.  (Read 2742 times)

Seipgam

• BTSCA
  • Bulleteer
on: December 18, 2018, 09:19:36 am
I read somewhere (not sure if it was on this forum) that it is better to stall the engine using the decompressor rather than the kill or ignition switch.
Is this correct?  If so why?

Geoff.
1954 Francis Barnett, Kestrel 66 122cc
1995 Royal Enfield Bullet 500
1988 Jawa 638, 350cc

heloego

• A 2x4. My kingdom for a 2x4!
  • Grand Gearhead
  • USA '12 C5, '06 ElectraX
Reply #1 on: December 18, 2018, 12:03:24 pm
It is best to use the decomp.
Using the kill switch or key will allow kickback which will shortly destroy your sprag.
'18 Bonneville T-100, Blue/White
'12 C5 Classic
'06 Electra X AVL w/32mm Mikuni and Gold Star system.

Adrian II

• Grand Gearhead
  • Sharing my ignorance with anyone who needs it
Reply #2 on: December 18, 2018, 12:11:18 pm
I think this bike is kick start only, no sprag to destroy!

Stopping on the valve lifter is a good idea, though. The bounce back on against compression otherwise, which is generally considered to be a war of attrition against the sprag clutch on E/S Bullets, is still not nice for the oil pump spindle.

A.
Grumpy Brit still seeking 500 AVL Bullet perfection! Will let you know if I get anywhere near...

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #3 on: December 18, 2018, 03:15:55 pm
I like applying the kill and decomp simultaneously.
Home of the Fireball 535 !

Seipgam

• BTSCA
  • Bulleteer
Reply #4 on: December 18, 2018, 11:06:03 pm
Yes, kick start only.
But that clears it up thanks.

Geoff.
1954 Francis Barnett, Kestrel 66 122cc
1995 Royal Enfield Bullet 500
1988 Jawa 638, 350cc

cyrusb

• Kept man
  • Grand Gearhead
  • There's a last time for everything
Reply #5 on: December 19, 2018, 01:10:53 pm
Does RE recommend this? After all, this mill has been in production forever, and you would think the maker would have figured this out by now. Has anyone seen this in RE's manuals? What effect does bounce back have on the worm drive of the oil pump? Anybody? Edit: Also, if I had a Sprague to protect I would probably just let the clutch out, foot on brake,idling in gear . (hasn't everyone removed these hand grenades by now?).
« Last Edit: December 19, 2018, 03:07:48 pm by cyrusb »
2005E Fixed and or Replaced: ignition, fenders,chainguard,wires,carb,headlight,seat,tailight,sprockets,chain,shock springs,fork springs, exhaust system, horn,shifter,clutch arm, trafficators,crankcase vent.

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #6 on: December 19, 2018, 03:05:18 pm
Does RE recommend this? After all, this mill has been in production forever, and you would think the maker would have figured this out by now. Has anyone seen this in RE's manuals? What effect does bounce back have on the worm drive of the oil pump? Anybody?

I will refrain from commenting about the maker.

Regarding the pump drive, the engine kickback can damage the worm and/or spindle. There is some lash in the drive which can permit some shock on kickback. It might not, but it might. If one wishes to be extra careful about that, the decompressor shut-down method can be used.

cyrusb

• Kept man
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #7 on: December 19, 2018, 03:25:44 pm
The last time I checked worm drives can operate in both directions, regardless of backlash. That said, It is a shit way pumping oil in either direction ;D Wiggling, piston pumps, classic British "Model Engineering". Why I warn against Decostopping is that you are using it as an exhaust valve. I don't think the sealing surfaces were designed to see fire. Do they have 3 angles? Is Stellite involved? If the seats stop sealing it is tough to know since it would leak into the exhaust system making it impossible to detect while running. Also the using the decompressor is this manner has it open during one or more intake cycles as well. Im referring to the Originals, I think the lean burn bullets use the exhaust valve, maybe they learned something? My 2c, stop it as you like
2005E Fixed and or Replaced: ignition, fenders,chainguard,wires,carb,headlight,seat,tailight,sprockets,chain,shock springs,fork springs, exhaust system, horn,shifter,clutch arm, trafficators,crankcase vent.

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #8 on: December 19, 2018, 04:05:58 pm
The last time I checked worm drives can operate in both directions, regardless of backlash. That said, It is a shit way pumping oil in either direction ;D Wiggling, piston pumps, classic British "Model Engineering". Why I warn against Decostopping is that you are using it as an exhaust valve. I don't think the sealing surfaces were designed to see fire. Do they have 3 angles? Is Stellite involved? If the seats stop sealing it is tough to know since it would leak into the exhaust system making it impossible to detect while running. Also the using the decompressor is this manner has it open during one or more intake cycles as well. Im referring to the Originals, I think the lean burn bullets use the exhaust valve, maybe they learned something? My 2c, stop it as you like

That is why I recommended in my earlier post to use kill switch and decompressor simultaneously. No fire out the decomp.

cyrusb

• Kept man
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #9 on: December 19, 2018, 11:14:07 pm
That is why I recommended in my earlier post to use kill switch and decompressor simultaneously. No fire out the decomp.
Sounds like the least destructive way to stop in this manner.