Author Topic: Found a Dyno nearby!  (Read 2201 times)

9fingers

• Grand Gearhead
  • From the New Hampshire part of New Jersey
on: November 04, 2018, 01:19:20 pm
All this talk about the Powertronic/EJK/PCV units is getting me excited, so I stopped by a local do it all bike/Quad/snowmobile shop run by a 21 year old and asked if he was aware of any Dyno tuning facilities within an hour of us? I live in a rural part of NJ (the New Hampshire part of the state), and figured I would have a long trek to find a place to take my bike, should I go that route. His answer blew me away......"make a left out of my parking lot and take the first left and go down a few houses and the guy there has one" (!). This is 3 miles from my home! How crazy is that? So now I have no excuse. But if I do the Powertronic that Bmadd is testing, do I really need a guy with a dyno? Or does that unit know what it needs to do to set itself up, with the help of a laptop, of course? I have not called the shop yet but if it runs $100 or so for an hour of tuning I would go for it in a heartbeat.
Anyone who has had dyno work done, can you enlighten me to the process? I have a new silencer on order and I would also do the K&N filter before I would go the dyno route. Thanks for input.
9fingers
Currently own:

2016 Classic Chrome Maroon
2020 Moto Guzzi V7III Special
V Strom 650 ABS Adventure
Beta Rev 3 270
Honda TLR200 custom
Honda TL 250 TMI custom frame
Honda TL 125
Yamaha TY350

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #1 on: November 04, 2018, 01:37:30 pm
Bring the unit, software, laptop, and connectors to the shop.
Get it all hooked up and running decently. Bring all the laptop stuff to the dyno guy, and let him get up to speed on it. Have the dyno guy do some pulls and make adjustments.
Home of the Fireball 535 !

Bert Remington

• Grease Monkey
Reply #2 on: November 04, 2018, 03:44:12 pm
$100/hr is an excellent price.  My Dynojet shop in San Diego charges $400 for a tuning run.

My summary (based on vendor description analysis and forum comments):

Open-Loop:

* EJK -- Simple (AFR enrichment only, pushbutton HMI), great value for external-only modifications, SAFR with UEGO [wideband O2] available to rent for closed-loop dyno tuning

* PC V -- Sophisticated (full AFR and ignition control, Windows HMI [Command Center]), proven capability and quality, a bit pricey but good value for accommodating any external or internal modifications; Powerjet-certified dyno shops using Autotune for closed-loop tuning

Closed-Loop:

PT -- Sophisticated if closed-loop* (full AFR and ignition control with stock HEGO [narrowband O2] feedback, Windows HMI [R-Tune]), appears to offer outstanding value for accommodating any external or internal modifications; Powerjet-certified dyno shops can probably support closed-loop tuning using their Autotune

PC V with AT-200 -- Sophisticated if closed-loop (full AFR and ignition control with add-on UEGO [wideband O2] feedback, Windows HMI [Control Center]), proven capability and quality, rather pricey but accommodates any external or internal modifications

* Bmadd34 needs to confirm this

If you are just changing muffler and air filter and want a simple, inexpensive AFR improvement use the EJK.

If you are also changing cams, etc and need a proven device providing full AFR and ignition control without O2 feedback, use the PC V.

If you are also changing cams, etc and need a proven device providing full AFR and ignition control with O2 feedback, use the PC V with AT-200.

Potential gamechanger: PT which provides PC V with AT-200 capabilities at almost EJK price.
2016 RE Classic 500 CA version Fair-Weather Mountain Bike
2014 Can-Am Spyder RT-S SE6 Freeway Commuter Pod

Arschloch

• Grand Gearhead
  • ...all is lost
Reply #3 on: November 04, 2018, 05:27:28 pm
The narrowband O2 is likely to be limiting to the "autotune" capabilities of the PT. Otherwise the specs are great.

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: November 04, 2018, 06:37:23 pm
All this talk about the Powertronic/EJK/PCV units is getting me excited, so I stopped by a local do it all bike/Quad/snowmobile shop run by a 21 year old and asked if he was aware of any Dyno tuning facilities within an hour of us? I live in a rural part of NJ (the New Hampshire part of the state), and figured I would have a long trek to find a place to take my bike, should I go that route. His answer blew me away......"make a left out of my parking lot and take the first left and go down a few houses and the guy there has one" (!). This is 3 miles from my home! How crazy is that? So now I have no excuse. But if I do the Powertronic that Bmadd is testing, do I really need a guy with a dyno? Or does that unit know what it needs to do to set itself up, with the help of a laptop, of course? I have not called the shop yet but if it runs $100 or so for an hour of tuning I would go for it in a heartbeat.
Anyone who has had dyno work done, can you enlighten me to the process? I have a new silencer on order and I would also do the K&N filter before I would go the dyno route. Thanks for input.
9fingers

Where is this Guy In Jersey  9fingers ?   I'm Not in the new Hamshire part of the state ... Hahaha !    If it's a shop ... they usually charge a flat rate of between  300-400 bucks for a tune, not matter how long it takes them .   To just pull the bike on the dyno ... that's just doing 3-5 pulls  or runs on the dyno,  to the point where the bike is not  making anymore power... or up to operating temperature.     After that, the motor gets heat soaked and power starts to fall a bit.     And it DOES usually take more then 3 pulls to get these motors up to operating temp from being dead cold.    But anyway... to just pull the bike without a tune , and to see where you are power wise and fuel wise.   That should be around 100 bucks...  it don't take THAT long.

To tune it with a PC-V.... most tuners around here are VERY familiar with the PC-V BTW ...... should take about and hour or so.   If you bring him something obscure , or something he has to figure out or download into HIS computer on his  , most likely  Dynojet dyno ?   He may charge you more  ?  OR ...he may be into learning it ?      But if that powertronic thing  only relies on the stock NARROW band o2 sensor ? ... That may give him fits !  Hahaha !     Or at least he may not be able to dial it in as close as he wants to....
An thaibhsí atá rattling ag an doras agus tá sé an diabhal sa chathaoir.

9fingers

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: November 05, 2018, 03:31:11 am
He apparently has a dyno at his residence! I have not spoken to him and may not go that route, depending on what Bmadd finds. I don't know what he charges and I will figure out if it is worth taking that step. Perhaps the Powertronic software is all that is really needed. I am not trying to make my bike into something it isn't. If it pulls the hills just a little better that will be fine with me. If I want a faster bike I will get the new 650 or maybe a Guzzi. I went for a 70 mile ride today, the weather was spectacular, about 50 degrees, and the bike was a joy to ride. The New Hampshire part? If you check temperature maps, most of them show my area of the state as the same temp zone as the extreme southern tip of New Hampshire, so I make a joke of it. But I will attach a pic of the view of my front yard, the view from my office, and you can tell me if it looks like New Hampshire or New Jersey.
9fingers
Currently own:

Beta Rev 3 270
Honda TLR200 custom
Honda TL 125
Yamaha TY350

gizzo

• Grand Gearhead
  • purple people
Reply #6 on: November 05, 2018, 10:40:41 am
Too bad about those powerlines or your view would make a fine jigsaw puzzle.
simon from south Australia
Continental GT
Pantah
DR250
DRZ400SM
C90
GSX250E

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #7 on: November 05, 2018, 11:09:23 pm
   Beautiful  9fingers !  ;)    I think I see the Kittatinny  mountains out there ....

9fingers

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #8 on: November 06, 2018, 12:17:39 am
   Beautiful  9fingers !  ;)    I think I see the Kittatinny  mountains out there ....

Very good Gashouse! Sent you a PM.
9fingers
Currently own:

Beta Rev 3 270
Honda TLR200 custom
Honda TL 125
Yamaha TY350

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #9 on: November 06, 2018, 02:01:24 am
  Ahhh.... wild guess .  ;) 

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #10 on: November 06, 2018, 10:07:58 am
Ah yes... that looks quite like the armpit of America I grew up in!  One of the best-kept secrets out there...

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #11 on: November 07, 2018, 01:03:27 am
Ah yes... that looks quite like the armpit of America I grew up in!  One of the best-kept secrets out there...

YUP !   ;)