Author Topic: New to royal enfield  (Read 18640 times)

Bilgemaster

• Just some guy
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • 2005 Bullet 500ES in "Mean Green" Military Trim
Reply #75 on: December 22, 2018, 04:27:54 pm
I too just acquired an iron-barrel Bullet 500 ('08 Classic ES Chrome) just after Thanksgiving and am working on reviving it after a long slumber. This is a great thread for going over the bike and seeing what needs attention!

Welcome to the Iron Bellied Horde of The Riders of the Archaic! You are welcome to fire up a new thread introducing yourself and your new ride. Those Chrome ones are some of the prettiest of the breed, so pictures are most welcome. That might be a good place to spell out any issues or questions you may have as you get to know each other. I believe you will also find that searching the Forum Archives will often help you solve whatever issues may come up. It was certainly crucial in helping me sort out my own 2005 "Military" Bullet 500ES, which I've now had for just about a year and 5,000 miles.

Where are you?
« Last Edit: December 22, 2018, 04:31:13 pm by Bilgemaster »
So badass my Enfield's actually illegal  in India. Yet it squeaks by here in Virginia.

Gunpowder

• Scooter
Reply #76 on: December 24, 2018, 01:30:58 pm
Thanks for the welcome, Bilgemaster. I drafted a nice intro thread but now it won't let me post it (Database Error). This is my bike. Current priorities are getting it started (I think the carb needs cleaning), sorting the left-hand turn signals and the taillamp, re-installing the fork shroud, painting the shocks and primary case gloss black, and figuring out if a UCE rear wheel will fit so I can buy inexpensive powdercoated rims to replace my chrome ones.

Gunpowder

• Scooter
Reply #77 on: December 24, 2018, 01:34:00 pm
I neglected to mention that I also want to fit knobby tires and that I'm in Southwest Vermont (North Pownal).

Bilgemaster

• Just some guy
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #78 on: December 24, 2018, 08:44:17 pm
Thanks for the welcome, Bilgemaster. I drafted a nice intro thread but now it won't let me post it (Database Error). This is my bike. Current priorities are getting it started (I think the carb needs cleaning), sorting the left-hand turn signals and the taillamp, re-installing the fork shroud, painting the shocks and primary case gloss black, and figuring out if a UCE rear wheel will fit so I can buy inexpensive powdercoated rims to replace my chrome ones.

Pretty ride! And I see that a previous owner did you the favor of upgrading to a punchier "short bottle" exhaust. One presumes they also attended to the necessary rejetting of the carbs, but then we don't know that for sure, right? Accordingly, if you're pulling off the carb for cleaning anyhow, you might do well to note the sizes of the jets presently fitted. That's the first thing folks here who really know how to dial these old gals in will be asking, followed by your average ambient temperatures, location above Sea Level, and recent Pap Smear results.

As for that "Database Error" business, the story there is that they recently "upgraded" to a new forum system here, and are still working out some of the bugs. One of the most prevalent and annoying digital gremlins is the inability of the system to now digest many common symbols and other characters--even not particularly exotic ones. If you use any symbols beyond what you would see on a U.S.-English Windows keyboard ca. 1999 (and even a couple of those, like the tilde), then when you go to <Post> the system's character mapping will just shrug and fart out a "Database Error" message. For the time being, I'd suggest copying and saving any messages you draft into Notepad prior to hitting that <Post> button, just in case you have to salvage it. And resist that urge to "Interrobang" everything, OK?

« Last Edit: December 24, 2018, 10:01:34 pm by Bilgemaster »
So badass my Enfield's actually illegal  in India. Yet it squeaks by here in Virginia.

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #79 on: December 25, 2018, 11:33:04 am
Welcome Gunpowder...

...and figuring out if a UCE rear wheel will fit so I can buy inexpensive powdercoated rims to replace my chrome ones.

It may fit, but the UCE drive chain being on the opposite side may give you a few extra headaches...

Adrian II

• Grand Gearhead
  • Sharing my ignorance with anyone who needs it
Reply #80 on: December 25, 2018, 12:35:27 pm
And resist that urge to "Interrobang" everything, OK?

"Tis a .gif to be simple..."

A.
Grumpy Brit still seeking 500 AVL Bullet perfection! Will let you know if I get anywhere near...

Bilgemaster

• Just some guy
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #81 on: December 25, 2018, 05:39:44 pm
Welcome Gunpowder...

It may fit, but the UCE drive chain being on the opposite side may give you a few extra headaches...

Just a thought: My 2005 Iron Cylinder "Military" has painted green rims and its drive sprocket's on the left. I suppose the likelihood that they're powder coated is about the same as my spokes being coated in platinum, but at least a couple of these Mean Green rides have been chopped into cafe racers and otherwise molested or blinged out with chromy fripperies. That means a few unwanted easily-paintable wheels that may be a direct swap for yours may be out there waiting for you somewhere. It's also possible our hosts in Ft. Worth might be able to square you away with a pair, or refer you to someone who can.

Gunpowder

• Scooter
Reply #82 on: December 26, 2018, 09:52:07 pm
Just a thought: My 2005 Iron Cylinder "Military" has painted green rims and its drive sprocket's on the left. I suppose the likelihood that they're powder coated is about the same as my spokes being coated in platinum, but at least a couple of these Mean Green rides have been chopped into cafe racers and otherwise molested or blinged out with chromy fripperies. That means a few unwanted easily-paintable wheels that may be a direct swap for yours may be out there waiting for you somewhere. It's also possible our hosts in Ft. Worth might be able to square you away with a pair, or refer you to someone who can.

I actually was searching for Military-model takeoffs when I found the UCE wheels that piqued my interest. I haven't found a set yet, unfortunately.

adclassified

• Vehicles & Vehicles Parts
  • Scooter
Reply #83 on: January 15, 2019, 05:50:47 pm
i have seen a latest model of royal enfield but i liked old model more than new one.

Narada

• Grand Gearhead
  • Riding the Madrass Missile!
Reply #84 on: January 19, 2019, 04:44:55 pm
That's a nice Iron Barrel, Gunpowder.  I think I'd be pretty happy with that!  8) I have a UCE that is a keeper, but an IB would be a nice addition to the family.  Looks like a clean old Dodge truck behind you in that picture too.   :)
Realize your Self on a Royal Enfield.

2015 Classic Chrome/Maroon; "Bholenath", Ported head by GHG, AVL Pistons, Hitchcocks H.P. Cams, PC-V, A/T,  Kenda-761's, Koso TNT, Premium EFI Silencer.

2015 Triumph T-100 Orange/Black, TTP Stage-2 induction
2012 Triumph Scrambler / Dauntless M-72D Sidecar.