Author Topic: New to royal enfield  (Read 18232 times)

ivantheterrible

• Bulleteer
Reply #60 on: November 21, 2018, 12:59:26 pm
that's what i was thinking and I'm happy that the experts agree. I'll start with welding the two pieces together and see where that gets me. I emailed Hitchcock's about purchasing just that piece from their kit, but haven't heard back yet.
2007 sportster 883, yamaha vino 125, 2005 Nfield sixty 5 military with Hitchcock 612 kit

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #61 on: November 21, 2018, 04:40:10 pm
In other words, you have confirmed that the piece is broken off and it needs to be re-welded?

Just looking at the exploded drawing of the shifting links provided in your Hitchcock link caused me to think, If one of those pivot pins (find # 23) was not in place, the gearchange link (find # 24) would not transmit the movement of the gear lever shaft (find # 25) and it (find 25) would just rotate and do nothing.

It does puzzle me that the gearshift does rotate upward about 60+ degrees on its own though.
The only spring that moves the shift lever is find #20 and it only moves it a short distance back to a "centered" position making it ready for the next up or down movement of the foot lever.
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

ivantheterrible

• Bulleteer
Reply #62 on: November 21, 2018, 06:06:58 pm
The piece in the plastic bag from the picture adrian provided (the ebay one) is the piece I'm talking about. If you look closely, there's a splined end (the shift pedal attaches there) and a tear dropped piece intersecting the shaft. The tear dropped piece attaches to the shift linkage (no.24) via a pin(no.23) but before the tear dropped piece can transmit force to the shift linkage, it spins on the shaft. the tear dropped piece isn't welded to the shaft. As ace said, it's just a press fit. I think that the previous owner(in experienced guy) tried to ride it, got confused thinking it was 1 down 4 up instead of the correct 4 down, one up, got frustrated and cocked it up. Clear as mud? ;D :o

Sorry i'm not a better writer and more knowledgeable about the names of the parts (tear dropped piece?  :) ) but I'm doing my best, and I think we're on to something. I don't see how something that must transmit force can spin and still work.
2007 sportster 883, yamaha vino 125, 2005 Nfield sixty 5 military with Hitchcock 612 kit

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #63 on: November 21, 2018, 11:11:40 pm
If the teardrop shaped piece is free to rotate on the shaft, that would sure do it.  Or should I have said, "that sure wouldn't do it"?

A tack weld with an electric welder would fix it in no time.
I suppose its radial position wouldn't be too important but if it wasn't in the right place, your shift lever could end up a bit higher or lower than you would like.  Of course, the spline teeth will allow you to get the lever close to the right place by just indexing the lever up or down 1 tooth but it might end up a bit higher or lower than a properly made one from the factory.

If you can figure out where the piece goes, finding a welding shop to tack weld it should be fairly easy.  If you use the "sad hound dog eyes" approach, they might even do it for free. :)
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe

ivantheterrible

• Bulleteer
Reply #64 on: November 22, 2018, 02:05:35 am
I happen to know a good welder, and he has all the tools and works for free.....ME! ;D

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #65 on: November 22, 2018, 12:15:00 pm
I happen to know a good welder, and he has all the tools and works for free.....

Awesome!  I know that guy, he always makes the best cup of coffee in town...

ivantheterrible

• Bulleteer
Reply #66 on: November 22, 2018, 02:41:09 pm
if it works, the really hard part begins.....learning to shift with my right foot and a different shift pattern! :o

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #67 on: November 23, 2018, 12:35:33 am
Just plan on riding 75 miles on some back streets around your house with lots of starts and go's.
By the time you've finished that, shifting will become natural. :)
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #68 on: November 23, 2018, 12:00:43 pm
I test-rode a 70's Triumph with a right-hand, one-up-the-rest-down shift pattern - I was surprised how natural it felt, no drama at all.  Then again, I thought the same of driving in the UK for two months on the "wrong" side of the road, which I took to readily, but when I got home again it was at least that long before I reliably kept to the right after pulling out of my own driveway...  :-[

Warwick

• Grease Monkey
Reply #69 on: November 23, 2018, 09:59:30 pm
I rode my bullet and lightning for two years as my only form of transport. Gearing is on different sides but both had 5 speed gearboxes (changed the gearbox on the lightning from 4 to 5 speed). Strangely enough the hardest part was which foot to put down at stop. Never seemed to get it right unless on the same bike for a while.
Made for some awkward stops. Also relied a little bit more on the front brake.
fun and games  :)
Warwick
2007 Bullet, 1999 Lightning, 2010 Honda VFR1200f, 2019 Interceptor, 2007 Kwaka GPX250R

ivantheterrible

• Bulleteer
Reply #70 on: November 24, 2018, 12:24:00 am
well, it SEEMS to have worked. still feels a little strange. Doesn't really pop/snap/ nor clunk into gear like other bikes I've owned, but something is happening. I got it into neutral and first and second, near as I can tell, but definitely got it into neutral.

Bilgemaster

• Just some guy
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • 2005 Bullet 500ES in "Mean Green" Military Trim
Reply #71 on: November 24, 2018, 02:09:37 am
I rode my bullet and lightning for two years as my only form of transport. Gearing is on different sides but both had 5 speed gearboxes (changed the gearbox on the lightning from 4 to 5 speed). Strangely enough the hardest part was which foot to put down at stop. Never seemed to get it right unless on the same bike for a while.
Made for some awkward stops. Also relied a little bit more on the front brake.
fun and games  :)
Warwick

Yup! Jamming down on the gear shift for the first few rides expecting the rear brake was this old longtime "righty's" experience when first astride my Enfield. But one quickly overcomes that old muscle memory, and now I certainly wouldn't go through the bother of swapping it. In fact, I kinda like the "down and out" to first, now that I'm used to it, and "higher up" works for me too. I further suspect that some fine day, sooner than I'd like to think, when I'm scanning the Interwebs for those sweet adult diaper deals, and can no longer ride without the kids bringing it up at those involuntary committal hearings, the "retro-youngsters", weary of their Danish zero-impact scootlets, might seek out something more "visceral" like my internal combustion single...but yet not so arcane as a righthand shifter. Most riders are used to the left. 

Now that I dwell on it, I can't help but wonder if the cause of our Ivan Grozny's fancy righthand gear selector doodad failure might not have been one or more emergency stop stomps to starboard, when port would have been advised.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2018, 08:33:41 am by Bilgemaster »
So badass my Enfield's actually illegal  in India. Yet it squeaks by here in Virginia.

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #72 on: November 24, 2018, 02:14:47 pm
It could easily have happened if the previous owner was not accustomed to right-shift, and stomped the shifter thinking it was the rear brake.
Home of the Fireball 535 !

ivantheterrible

• Bulleteer
Reply #73 on: November 25, 2018, 09:36:10 pm
yeh, I got ten bucks that say the guy before me wrecked it. Very nice guy, but the wrong bike for him.

Gunpowder

• Scooter
Reply #74 on: December 21, 2018, 10:15:13 pm
I too just acquired an iron-barrel Bullet 500 ('08 Classic ES Chrome) just after Thanksgiving and am working on reviving it after a long slumber. This is a great thread for going over the bike and seeing what needs attention!