Author Topic: New to royal enfield  (Read 18236 times)

ivantheterrible

• Bulleteer
Reply #45 on: November 16, 2018, 06:25:12 pm
got the workshop manual. Got the Peter Snidal on order.

yes, gearbox cover off.
2007 sportster 883, yamaha vino 125, 2005 Nfield sixty 5 military with Hitchcock 612 kit

cyrusb

• Kept man
  • Grand Gearhead
  • There's a last time for everything
Reply #46 on: November 16, 2018, 08:35:39 pm
O.K so where is the disconnect?
2005E Fixed and or Replaced: ignition, fenders,chainguard,wires,carb,headlight,seat,tailight,sprockets,chain,shock springs,fork springs, exhaust system, horn,shifter,clutch arm, trafficators,crankcase vent.

ivantheterrible

• Bulleteer
Reply #47 on: November 16, 2018, 10:41:59 pm
I don't mean this in a smart ass way, I'm sure you're trying to help and judging by your posts in other threads I've read that you've posted in, you're quite knowledgeable but....have you read anything I've posted? The cover has been off for some time. i'm not sure what you mean by 'disconnect'. The gear shift spins when pressure is applied ( I posted a video), the rocker and associated parts seem to be fine and in place, so the next step as I see it is to remove the carrier plate so I can see if the cam plate and pawl are functioning. To get the carrier plate off I need to remove the rocker shaft (correct?) to remove the rocker shaft I need special tool ST 25153-4 'Extractor for 5-speed gearbox pipe' Clear as mud? ;)
Seriously though, if any of this is wrong, I'd be happy to be informed of it.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2018, 02:55:27 am by ivantheterrible »
2007 sportster 883, yamaha vino 125, 2005 Nfield sixty 5 military with Hitchcock 612 kit

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #48 on: November 16, 2018, 11:55:03 pm
If it were mine, I would try to disassemble the carrier plate without using the special tool.

Over the years I've found that there are only a few cases where a special tool is required and most of those cases involved something that was press fit and the only way to pull it off was with some sort of tool.

Chances are, the tool they are suggesting would end up being one of those, "that was nice" tools that didn't contribute anything to the task at hand.
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

ivantheterrible

• Bulleteer
Reply #49 on: November 17, 2018, 02:57:57 am
I don't see how the carrier plate can be removed without the rocker shaft coming out. I'd really like to be wrong about this.

Bilgemaster

• Just some guy
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • 2005 Bullet 500ES in "Mean Green" Military Trim
Reply #50 on: November 17, 2018, 03:36:44 am
If it were mine, I would try to disassemble the carrier plate without using the special tool.

Over the years I've found that there are only a few cases where a special tool is required and most of those cases involved something that was press fit and the only way to pull it off was with some sort of tool.

Chances are, the tool they are suggesting would end up being one of those, "that was nice" tools that didn't contribute anything to the task at hand.

My hunch is Arizoni's probably right, and you might well make do without, but one great thing about Enfields is that these kind of "special tools" and other gear so often seem like they're priced with that decimal point mistakenly shoved to the left when compared with the asking prices for similar doodads for other marques.  Sometimes you need to wait a bit for that slow boat from "Enfield County" in India, but they get here eventually. At least, I've always been perfectly satisfied by that vendor yonder with the few orders for oddball items I've given them, with a couple-few weeks being the average time to delivery.

In the case of that special tool ST 25153-4 'Extractor for 5-speed gearbox pipe'  you describe, it appears that one can be had for the princely sum of $8.78 with free shipping. That's like lunch money...a light lunch...no coffee.

« Last Edit: November 17, 2018, 03:41:29 am by Bilgemaster »
So badass my Enfield's actually illegal  in India. Yet it squeaks by here in Virginia.

ivantheterrible

• Bulleteer
Reply #51 on: November 17, 2018, 12:40:29 pm
That is the tool, but isn't it just a bolt through a dowel? I assume it threads in and you turn it using the dowel. Could you just thread in a bolt and turn it with a wrench/vice grips?

cyrusb

• Kept man
  • Grand Gearhead
  • There's a last time for everything
Reply #52 on: November 20, 2018, 07:03:53 pm
I don't mean this in a smart ass way, I'm sure you're trying to help and judging by your posts in other threads I've read that you've posted in, you're quite knowledgeable but....have you read anything I've posted? The cover has been off for some time. i'm not sure what you mean by 'disconnect'. The gear shift spins when pressure is applied ( I posted a video), the rocker and associated parts seem to be fine and in place, so the next step as I see it is to remove the carrier plate so I can see if the cam plate and pawl are functioning. To get the carrier plate off I need to remove the rocker shaft (correct?) to remove the rocker shaft I need special tool ST 25153-4 'Extractor for 5-speed gearbox pipe' Clear as mud? ;)
Seriously though, if any of this is wrong, I'd be happy to be informed of it.
I must have missed some details. It looked to me in the video that the connecting link must have fell off to have that much motion at the lever.
2005E Fixed and or Replaced: ignition, fenders,chainguard,wires,carb,headlight,seat,tailight,sprockets,chain,shock springs,fork springs, exhaust system, horn,shifter,clutch arm, trafficators,crankcase vent.

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
  • Everybody's havin' them dreams
Reply #53 on: November 20, 2018, 10:55:46 pm
I must have missed some details. It looked to me in the video that the connecting link must have fell off to have that much motion at the lever.

It was certainly clear from the beginning to me that "something" must have fell (sic) off the way that shifter lever was acting. That and the fact that he didn't know the shift pattern yet said he had ridden the bike.
RI USA '08 Black AVL Classic.9.8:1 ACEhead/manifold/canister. TM32/Open bottle/hot tube removed. Pertronix Coil. Fed mandates removed. Gr.TCI. Bobber seat. Battery in right side case. Decomp&all doodads removed. '30s Lucas taillight/7" visored headlight. Much blackout & wire/electrical upgrades.

ivantheterrible

• Bulleteer
Reply #54 on: November 20, 2018, 11:38:29 pm
Ok y'all, a bit of an update. I'm in contact with the original owner. The guy I bought it off of is a nice sincere fellow, but doesn't know motorcycles (this was his first motorcycle)

the belt drive was installed, but then removed before selling. He's offered to sell it to me for $350. worth doing?

The bike is in fact right shift, 4 down, one up, Hitchcock kit. That's why the parts diagram for my model didn't make sense.

I'm determined to figure this out. What can I do so you guys can help me help myself? Video of the gearbox with the cover off? Simple photo?

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #55 on: November 21, 2018, 12:10:29 am
If it is a Hitchcock kit, the first thing I would do is to send Hitchcock an E-Mail that explains exactly what is happening with the shift lever.  That is, something like,
I have a Royal Enfield 65......

The shift lever does not shift the gears when it is moved.
The lever seems to be spring loaded and it returns upward rotating at least 60 degrees from a horizontal position.  It seems like it is not connected to anything except for the spring.

Can you give me an idea of what could be wrong and what I would need to do to fix it?
Also, attach the short video you posted earlier.
(This one)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tZ7sNugqa9Y&feature=youtu.be

If anyone knows how to fix it, it would be Hitchcock and from what I've heard, they are very good about answering E-Mails and answering questions.

IMO, that lever should have some sort of positive engagement with the shift plate which has the milled irregular shaped slot cut into it. 

There should be a cam follower that goes thru that shift plate's slot and the cam follower should move the yokes that move the gears from side to side.
As the gears move from side to side, dogs on the sides of the gears engage or disengage from the dogs on the side of the adjacent gear.  That's how the gears transmit power thru the gearbox.

(Maybe you already know all of this but I thought it was worth mentioning.
Now that it is, it looks to me like the shift lever is not engaged with the shift plate.  If it was, it could not move to a position that is over 60 degrees upward when the lever is released.)
« Last Edit: November 21, 2018, 12:12:37 am by Arizoni »
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

ivantheterrible

• Bulleteer
Reply #56 on: November 21, 2018, 02:48:51 am
thanks, Jim. i think I need to post a video. the splined piece that the gear shift pedal attaches to is spinning in the teardrop piece that attaches to the gear shift linkage. There are no welds in this piece, and it's two pieces, but I can't believe it's meant to spin. https://www.hitchcocksmotorcycles.com/partsbooks/pages/1613/Carrier_Plate_and_Gear_Lever_Shaft_-_5_Speed
part no. 25, except mine is different because it's the Hitchcock kit, but it's basically the same part.

ivantheterrible

• Bulleteer
Reply #57 on: November 21, 2018, 02:52:42 am
the piece that I'm talking about is the piece in the lower left.
http://accessories.hitchcocksmotorcycles.com/accessory-shop/5-Speed-Right-Shift-Conversion/18965

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #58 on: November 21, 2018, 03:27:53 am
It is not meant to spin. The spines are probably stripped out on one or both pieces of the joint.
Home of the Fireball 535 !

Adrian II

• Grand Gearhead
  • Sharing my ignorance with anyone who needs it
Reply #59 on: November 21, 2018, 10:45:34 am
OK, part #25 in the diagram is the original left-foot shift item, yours will be a much truncated piece with the spines pointing the other way, rather like the part in the plastic bag in the attached photo (from ebay).

Not some right-foot shift conversions use a longer gear-shift stub which pivots on both the inner and outer gearbox casing (more support), some have a shorter piece which pivots in the outer cover only.

Ace is correct in saying that the tear drop-shaped bit should NOT be spinning on the splined piece. Normally they're welded on when they're adapted from the stock part, but this might have been held on only by an interference fit which worked loose. There are no splines to hold this particular bit in place though, the only splines are on the end where the gear-shift lever sits.

Get the tear-drop piece welded back onto the stub of the gear-shift shaft where it belongs, and there's a distinct possibility you will have a working gear shift.

Hope that makes sense.

A.

Grumpy Brit still seeking 500 AVL Bullet perfection! Will let you know if I get anywhere near...