Author Topic: New to royal enfield  (Read 18612 times)

ivantheterrible

• Bulleteer
Reply #30 on: November 09, 2018, 01:33:51 pm
thank you bilgemaster. Your posts are both informative and entertaining/funny. Loved the mystery oil riff.
2007 sportster 883, yamaha vino 125, 2005 Nfield sixty 5 military with Hitchcock 612 kit

ivantheterrible

• Bulleteer
Reply #31 on: November 11, 2018, 09:45:13 pm
got the primary side apart and all related starter gears removed. Nothing noticeable out of place. It's all fine on that side near as I can tell. Not a waste of time, I wanted to make it kick only, so I've removed all the related gears.

I'll put it back together and adjust the clutch and see what happens. I'm sure I'll have to dig into the gearbox.

super easy bike to work on, so far
2007 sportster 883, yamaha vino 125, 2005 Nfield sixty 5 military with Hitchcock 612 kit

ivantheterrible

• Bulleteer
Reply #32 on: November 12, 2018, 07:18:46 pm
Previous owner sent this video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tZ7sNugqa9Y&feature=youtu.be
I don't know if it's helpful to my quest or not, but if you see something worth commenting on, please do

cyrusb

• Kept man
  • Grand Gearhead
  • There's a last time for everything
Reply #33 on: November 14, 2018, 08:39:25 pm
Pop the cover off and lets see
2005E Fixed and or Replaced: ignition, fenders,chainguard,wires,carb,headlight,seat,tailight,sprockets,chain,shock springs,fork springs, exhaust system, horn,shifter,clutch arm, trafficators,crankcase vent.

ivantheterrible

• Bulleteer
Reply #34 on: November 15, 2018, 12:08:06 am
Is a right shift convert 1 up and 4 down? I've read conflicting things. Seems I really need to know the answer to this. The guy I bought the bike off of said it's 1 down and 4 up, but he said the guy who sold it to him said it's 1 up and 4 down...The guy I bought it from was very new to motorcycles (this was his first bike) so I take his word with a grain of salt or 5.

Chuck D

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #35 on: November 15, 2018, 12:48:45 pm
Is a right shift convert 1 up and 4 down? I've read conflicting things. Seems I really need to know the answer to this. The guy I bought the bike off of said it's 1 down and 4 up, but he said the guy who sold it to him said it's 1 up and 4 down...The guy I bought it from was very new to motorcycles (this was his first bike) so I take his word with a grain of salt or 5.
The right side shift is 1 down and 4 up like modern bikes so nothing to re learn there.
I'm pretty sure that the 5 speed gearbox was actually designed to be right side shift and what the factory then did was run a long shaft in the same plane from right to left through the cases and out the other side. But the gear box itself is clearly more comfortable as a right side shift. I suppose it was a way to hold on to their antiquated engine lay out just a bit longer. The real benefit from switching it back to the right isn't so much better shifting; you won't see dramatic improvements there as it was pretty good to begin with, but MUCH better rear braking from having the brake lever now directly in line with the brake cam actuator.
And of course the whole thing will look 100% better.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2018, 12:53:58 pm by Chuck D »
Ace "Fireball"#10 (Beefy the Bullet to her friends.)
 "Featherbed" frame by Rofomoto.

2017 Triumph T120

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #36 on: November 15, 2018, 01:38:11 pm
The kits were available with either 1down or 1 up, depending on source.
You should look to see what you have.

If you install rearset controls, you can set the linkage to give whichever you want.
Home of the Fireball 535 !

ivantheterrible

• Bulleteer
Reply #37 on: November 15, 2018, 02:39:35 pm
The kits were available with either 1down or 1 up, depending on source.
You should look to see what you have.

If you install rearset controls, you can set the linkage to give whichever you want.
how would I determine what I have? Right now the gear shifter is inoperable. Is there another way?

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
  • Everybody's havin' them dreams
Reply #38 on: November 15, 2018, 02:47:07 pm
Seems I really need to know the answer to this. The guy I bought the bike off of said it's 1 down and 4 up, but he said the guy who sold it to him said it's 1 up and 4 down...The guy I bought it from was very new to motorcycles (this was his first bike) so I take his word with a grain of salt or 5.

It sounds like he never rode it. If he rode it, would he not know the shift pattern of the bike?

« Last Edit: November 15, 2018, 02:50:59 pm by tooseevee »
RI USA '08 Black AVL Classic.9.8:1 ACEhead/manifold/canister. TM32/Open bottle/hot tube removed. Pertronix Coil. Fed mandates removed. Gr.TCI. Bobber seat. Battery in right side case. Decomp&all doodads removed. '30s Lucas taillight/7" visored headlight. Much blackout & wire/electrical upgrades.

ivantheterrible

• Bulleteer
Reply #39 on: November 15, 2018, 06:13:47 pm
I agree,,,,,seems strange that he wouldn't know.

Tarnand

• Andrew
  • Grease Monkey
Reply #40 on: November 15, 2018, 06:59:13 pm
Reading thread "Feeling Stupid"  I get impression that sometimes we all make really stupid mistakes.  Happened to me too but whatever.  Fact that the shifter does not work may be the very reason he did not have a chance to drive it.  I cannot imagine how he would be able to do it.  It seems to me that it may very well be a simple assembly error.  I definitely would start with taking the cover off to inspect it.  This mechanism is so simple it is hard to imagine what possibly could go wrong but you never know.
As far as the shifting order ... you are going to find it out immediately once the shifter works.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2018, 07:01:51 pm by Tarnand »
2005 KS (ex ES) Bullet 500cc
1994 FLSTC
1983 FXRS

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
  • Everybody's havin' them dreams
Reply #41 on: November 15, 2018, 08:46:43 pm
  Fact that the shifter does not work may be the very reason he did not have a chance to drive it.  I cannot imagine how he would be able to do it.

Damn  :) I was thinking of saying that also in my Reply #39 and I fergot  ???
RI USA '08 Black AVL Classic.9.8:1 ACEhead/manifold/canister. TM32/Open bottle/hot tube removed. Pertronix Coil. Fed mandates removed. Gr.TCI. Bobber seat. Battery in right side case. Decomp&all doodads removed. '30s Lucas taillight/7" visored headlight. Much blackout & wire/electrical upgrades.

ivantheterrible

• Bulleteer
Reply #42 on: November 15, 2018, 11:09:48 pm
I had a hot minute to start to dig into it, and discovered that the manual shows that I need a special tool to take the rocker shaft out, so I can take the carrier plate off. the 'special' tool appears to be a simple bolt through a dowel. Any feedback on this is appreciated.

Also, the shaft that the shifter peddle connects to (the part with the splines, sorry, I'm using the parts diagram from Hitchcocks and for whatever reason, they don't have that part . maybe because mine is a converted 5 speed?) spins in it's housing. Sorry so vague, I'll see if I can post a picture when my IT guy (13 year old son) gets home

Adrian II

• Grand Gearhead
  • Sharing my ignorance with anyone who needs it
Reply #43 on: November 16, 2018, 02:25:32 pm
If you have not already acted on the earlier recommendation to get the Pete Snidal workshop manual for the Bullet, available in CD or paper form, I would get hold of one NOW  ;)

http://www.enfield.20m.com/buynowb3.htm

as well as an official workshop manual.

A.
Grumpy Brit still seeking 500 AVL Bullet perfection! Will let you know if I get anywhere near...

cyrusb

• Kept man
  • Grand Gearhead
  • There's a last time for everything
Reply #44 on: November 16, 2018, 05:11:49 pm
You do not need any special tools to simply remove the tranny cover. Have you done that yet?
2005E Fixed and or Replaced: ignition, fenders,chainguard,wires,carb,headlight,seat,tailight,sprockets,chain,shock springs,fork springs, exhaust system, horn,shifter,clutch arm, trafficators,crankcase vent.