Author Topic: New to royal enfield  (Read 18214 times)

cyrusb

• Kept man
  • Grand Gearhead
  • There's a last time for everything
Reply #15 on: November 05, 2018, 10:54:59 pm
is your 5 speed shifting on the left or right?
2005E Fixed and or Replaced: ignition, fenders,chainguard,wires,carb,headlight,seat,tailight,sprockets,chain,shock springs,fork springs, exhaust system, horn,shifter,clutch arm, trafficators,crankcase vent.

ivantheterrible

• Bulleteer
Reply #16 on: November 05, 2018, 11:24:51 pm
It was converted to the right, I'm going to convert it back to the left unless I get a lot of folks advising me against it.
2007 sportster 883, yamaha vino 125, 2005 Nfield sixty 5 military with Hitchcock 612 kit

ivantheterrible

• Bulleteer
Reply #17 on: November 05, 2018, 11:34:47 pm
picked up the bike tonight. too dark for pictures, but looking through the maintenance records I found the following....

.rebuild engine with customer provided performance parts-replace crankshaft and bearings, piston cylinder,head, carburetor, exhaust, install electronic ignition.
convert transmission to left-side shift, convert primary to belt drive, replace drive chain.

the invoice is from rising sun cycles LLC in Harriman TN. work was done in 2013.

2007 sportster 883, yamaha vino 125, 2005 Nfield sixty 5 military with Hitchcock 612 kit

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #18 on: November 05, 2018, 11:47:27 pm
It was converted to the right, I'm going to convert it back to the left unless I get a lot of folks advising me against it.

Right side shift is much better. Shifts more positive, and the rear brake actuation is much more positive. Plus, the potentially dangerous underslung rear brake pedal that is required with left side shifting is deleted. Much better.
Besides, with the belt drive primary(which is really good and very expensive), you can't have left side shift.

Those should be enough reasons to keep right side shifting.
 :)
Home of the Fireball 535 !

ivantheterrible

• Bulleteer
Reply #19 on: November 06, 2018, 12:52:29 am
sounds pretty definitive. I guess I'll see if I can switch back and forth.

ivantheterrible

• Bulleteer
Reply #20 on: November 07, 2018, 02:37:21 am
Had a spare minute to mess with the bike. Trying to get the gearbox cover off. Remove the gear selector (right shift bike) removed the kick arm and the 6 allen screws, tap with a mallet and it starts to come off but not quite. Am I missing something?I don't want to force it.

ivantheterrible

• Bulleteer
Reply #21 on: November 08, 2018, 01:49:54 am
I got the gearbox cover off, and the primary cover off. I was kinda hoping there would be something obvious, broke spring, cracked part, but everything looked good, at least as far as I could see. I still believe the sprag clutch is busted, and everything I've read says that it's a week link and should be deleted anyway, so I'll take that out. Any chance taking out the sprag and associated gears for the ES will solve the slack gear shift pedal problem? Or do I need to dig into the gearbox farther? I don't even know what I'm looking for.

Adrian II

• Grand Gearhead
  • Sharing my ignorance with anyone who needs it
Reply #22 on: November 08, 2018, 12:52:28 pm
The 5 speed gearbox is usually very good, though it can fail occasionally.

While you have the primary cover off, is the clutch fitted properly and working/adjusted OK? You'll have to refit the out gearbox cover to check. The clutch actuator is hooked up to the cable in the outer cover, When you pull the clutch lever it rides up over three steel balls to move the clutch pushrod via an adfjustable screw pad, make sure they're all still in place.

As Ace says the electric start can't be used with the belt drive conversion, so if the belt drive has already been fitted, the conflicting parts of the electric start mechanism should already have been removed to allow the engine drive pulley to be fitted.

Normally a failed sprag clutch would not affect gear shfiting except when the debris manages to lock up the entire primary side.

+1 on keeping it right-foot shift, you want that belt drive!

A.
Grumpy Brit still seeking 500 AVL Bullet perfection! Will let you know if I get anywhere near...

ivantheterrible

• Bulleteer
Reply #23 on: November 08, 2018, 01:15:20 pm
I'm a little confused. Like i said in an earlier post, I have an invoice that clearly says 'converted primary to belt drive' but now that I've got the cover off, I see that it's a chain. The invoice is from 2013, so maybe it was switched back? Maybe i'm taking 'belt' too literally? Anyone got an opinion about this?

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #24 on: November 08, 2018, 02:16:02 pm
I'm a little confused. Like i said in an earlier post, I have an invoice that clearly says 'converted primary to belt drive' but now that I've got the cover off, I see that it's a chain. The invoice is from 2013, so maybe it was switched back? Maybe i'm taking 'belt' too literally? Anyone got an opinion about this?
They make a chain driven clutch that is like the belt drive clutch, minus the belt. Maybe it is that.

Or maybe they removed the belt system before selling the bike.

Also, the 5 speed gearbox needs to have the cover gasket in place to work right.
If it has no gasket, get one.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2018, 02:19:26 pm by ace.cafe »
Home of the Fireball 535 !

ivantheterrible

• Bulleteer
Reply #25 on: November 08, 2018, 03:24:27 pm
thanks.
I assume the 'cover gasket' is simply the gasket that goes around the edge of the gearbox cover? Is that because it needs to have oil in the gear box? Also, how can I tell if I've got the chain drive that's like the belt drive clutch?

ivantheterrible

• Bulleteer
Reply #26 on: November 08, 2018, 06:23:49 pm
The 5 speed gearbox is usually very good, though it can fail occasionally.

While you have the primary cover off, is the clutch fitted properly and working/adjusted OK? You'll have to refit the out gearbox cover to check. The clutch actuator is hooked up to the cable in the outer cover, When you pull the clutch lever it rides up over three steel balls to move the clutch pushrod via an adfjustable screw pad, make sure they're all still in place.

As Ace says the electric start can't be used with the belt drive conversion, so if the belt drive has already been fitted, the conflicting parts of the electric start mechanism should already have been removed to allow the engine drive pulley to be fitted.

Normally a failed sprag clutch would not affect gear shfiting except when the debris manages to lock up the entire primary side.

+1 on keeping it right-foot shift, you want that belt drive!

A.

this is interesting, because I know the es was used up until a week or so ago. The PO never used the kS. When I went to see it for the first time, the seller reviled to me that the ES was no longer working (sounded like the starter motor just spun) and we both assumed that it was the sprage clutch, since it's a common failure with these bikes.

So I guess there is no way I have the belt primary, huh?

Adrian II

• Grand Gearhead
  • Sharing my ignorance with anyone who needs it
Reply #27 on: November 08, 2018, 09:34:38 pm
No, stock transmission uses a duplex chain, if that's what you have you might want to ask the vendor "Where's my belt drive?"

THIS

http://www.bobnewbyracing.com/

Yes, there is a chain driven version of the Bob Newby clutch as well as the belt version (Hitchcock sells both), but belt is belt, chain is chain.

For what it's worth the sprag clutch tended to fail more on the Electra-X AVL models than the Sixty-5, but with a 612 conversion the starter has a lot more to do, and the sprag clutch clutch is more at risk from bigger bangs when the engine back-fires, especially with a higher compression piston. Using the decompressor valve when starting (AND stopping) gives the starter mechanism as much easier time.

A.
Grumpy Brit still seeking 500 AVL Bullet perfection! Will let you know if I get anywhere near...

ivantheterrible

• Bulleteer
Reply #28 on: November 08, 2018, 11:51:44 pm
i feel stuck as what to do next. I started taking the primary side apart (magnet out, clutch basket out) with the intention of getting the sprag clutch out. should I carry on?

Bilgemaster

• Just some guy
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • 2005 Bullet 500ES in "Mean Green" Military Trim
Reply #29 on: November 09, 2018, 05:11:27 am
i feel stuck as what to do next. I started taking the primary side apart (magnet out, clutch basket out) with the intention of getting the sprag clutch out. should I carry on?

I've never been so deeply into the guts of mine, but it seems to me you might do well to press on and attend to that starter. Either repair or replace it, or remove it altogether. In either case, a proper examination seems in order, if only for safety's sake. Last thing you need is bits of random starter jetsam knocking around in there. Our hosts in Ft. Worth can provide you with whatever you may need, however you may decide. I'm happy to have a working starter, even though I have not used it in months--Now that I'm used to the beast I just don't stall out that much at lights anymore. If you do repair it, there are a few things you can do to try to keep that wonky sprague doodad happy:

• Instead of the 420 ml of 15W40 oil specified in the Owner's Manual (up to the level hole), pour in about 800 ml to a full quart or liter of Type F Automatic Transmission Fluid. This is said to better bathe that wonky sprague with just the stuff it likes, and won't do the clutch or alternator any harm. I am led to understand that a Factory Service Bulletin advising this added lubricant amount went out to dealers several years ago. I also add a dash (just about 2 ounces or roughly 50 ml) of Marvel Mystery Oil to the primary case, but then I also add it to my fuel, engine oil and use it as a desert topping and after shave. I just can't help myself. Incidentally, Type F ATF will also serve quite well as fork oil, which is just so blessedly easy to drain and change in our old "iron belly" Enfields that it makes me wonder why ALL bikes aren't so thoughtfully designed.

• If it has not already been removed, take that lighting "dogbone" connector out that I've already mentioned in an earlier posting. It just overrides the lighting switch on the handlebars, keeping them always-on. The problem with this is that one of the most frequent alleged causes for sprague clutch failure is said to be low battery power at startup, which will only be exacerbated by the drain from all those lamps. Whether I'm kicking or (rarely) electro-starting the beast, I always try to do so with lights off. That they're always so when I'm ready to start is actually thanks to my whole little shutdown routine: stop engine with decompressor, key off, lights off, kick start to top dead center (TDC) then decompress just a tad beyond that, fuel off, up on the stand, key out and into the left pocket. Then into the store to get another jug of Marvel Mystery Oil...

• When starting from cold, it's always a good idea to first free up the clutch plates by just pulling in the clutch and kicking it through a couple-few times. This is especially the case if you do use the electric start. In that case, you would still also do well to use the decompressor and kickstart to get the piston just a tad beyond TDC as if you're going to kick it, then pull in the clutch and hold it while you hit the starter button until she burbles to life...Less stress on the whole flakey rig that way.

So, just get what you have running well as she can on her own present terms and layout is my advice. Since all my other bikes have always had a right hand shift, I might have preferred that on the Enfield too. But you know what? I got used to the lefty pretty quickly, as you will with your righty, I'm sure. I certainly have no complaint whatsoever with my 5-Speed gearbox. It's as pleasant and precise as any Burman gearbox I've ever had on my Nortons. As for whether it has a belt or chain primary drive, I certainly wouldn't let that keep you up nights...Bit of a "nothingburger," if you ask me.

I do hope you get her squared away soon and with minimal fuss or expense. One thing to remember is one thing at a time! Nothing will bugger up a ride quicker and make it harder to sort out than making a whole bunch of mods or changes all at once, until when the inevitable problem does occur you just don't know where the real gremlin may be lurking.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2018, 06:15:50 am by Bilgemaster »
So badass my Enfield's actually illegal  in India. Yet it squeaks by here in Virginia.