Author Topic: Clutch  (Read 1467 times)

Seipgam

• BTSCA
  • Bulleteer
on: November 10, 2018, 07:38:45 am
I'm out of adjustment at the lever, cable and push rod end play, with no freeplay at the lever and the clutch just releasing before the lever touches the hand grip.
Does this indicate that the friction plates probably need replacing?  I haven't removed them to inspect as yet, just wanted to get the heads up first.

Thanks, Geoff.
1954 Francis Barnett, Kestrel 66 122cc
1995 Royal Enfield Bullet 500
1988 Jawa 638, 350cc

Chasfield

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: November 11, 2018, 11:49:51 am
As the clutch plates wear, the the clutch pack effectively shrinks in depth. The pressure plate moves inboard under clutch spring load, pushing the release push-rod further through the gear-box main shaft. You end up with more push rod than you need, which you accommodate with the various adjustments.

Assuming a four speed box like mine:

The primary adjustment to get right is the screw and lock nut under the gearbox inspection plate. This should be set to leave minimal free play between the screw end and the push-rod it bears upon. The other inspection plate gives access so you can waggle the actuator arm to check for free play. If there is no free play here, the push-rod is always under load which fights the clutch springs and would be a cause of clutch slip. If there is too much free play here, then you are throwing away some of the available clutch release travel and the problem will then be clutch drag. If you cannot wind out the push-rod adjuster screw to allow a little free play because you are running out of thread then that would indicate severe friction plate wear.

Once the actuator arm is set up, with minimum free play and a full range of useful movement against the push-rod, you can use the cable adjusters to set a minimum of free play at the handle bar lever.

The whole set up is a bit marginal and is not helped by gearbox cover flex, which wastes precious clutch lift. Look down at your gear box as you pull in the handlebar lever and you will be able to see unwanted cover displacement.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2018, 11:55:04 am by Chasfield »
2001 500 Bullet Deluxe

Adrian II

• Grand Gearhead
  • Sharing my ignorance with anyone who needs it
Reply #2 on: November 11, 2018, 08:48:37 pm
The whole set up is a bit marginal and is not helped by gearbox cover flex, which wastes precious clutch lift

This might help if your cover does flex.

http://accessories.hitchcocksmotorcycles.com/accessory-shop/4-speed/22879

A.
Grumpy Brit still seeking 500 AVL Bullet perfection! Will let you know if I get anywhere near...

Seipgam

• BTSCA
  • Bulleteer
Reply #3 on: November 12, 2018, 12:21:49 am
Thanks, all adjusted up as mentioned above so I'm presuming the friction plates are knackered.
I'll pull it apart when I get the chance and have a look.

Geoff.
1954 Francis Barnett, Kestrel 66 122cc
1995 Royal Enfield Bullet 500
1988 Jawa 638, 350cc