Author Topic: Up for Auction: 2009 AVL "Military" in a Naval Baby Blue  (Read 4446 times)

Bilgemaster

• Just some guy
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • 2005 Bullet 500ES in "Mean Green" Military Trim
Please forgive me if this is not the most appropriate sub-forum to give folks this "heads up," but I thought those in or near the Ft. Lauderdale, Florida area might be interested in this 2009 AVL-engined Bullet 500 "Military" with those metal panniers and all the trimmings in a fetchingly oddball light baby blue currently up for local auction (i.e., not eBay), ending in about a week:

Lots more pix on the auction page, and there's even a YouTube video of it going through its paces in a parking lot, which is how I heard of it. Rest assured, I have no personal interest, stake or even knowledge concerning this particular bike.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2018, 04:03:37 am by Bilgemaster »
So badass my Enfield's actually illegal  in India. Yet it squeaks by here in Virginia.

Superchuck

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: October 30, 2018, 11:37:22 am
Dang that's a pretty bike.

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
  • Everybody's havin' them dreams
Reply #2 on: October 30, 2018, 12:30:51 pm
Please forgive me if this is not the most appropriate sub-forum to give folks this "heads up," but I thought those in or near the Ft. Lauderdale, Florida area might be interested in this 2009 AVL-engined Bullet 500 "Military" with those metal panniers and all the trimmings in a fetchingly oddball light baby blue

Not my color, but that's a real purty bike  :)

I'd be curious to know what kind of prep and paint was used. Looks like a professional job, but you never know.

Things that bother me are that they say it's a "replica" '50s model, has "spark ignition" and "electronic transmission". Just simple mistakes, I suppose.

I wonder why they didn't do the battery box?

I know, I know. I'm too critical and cynical  :) It's a nice bike.

RI USA '08 Black AVL Classic.9.8:1 ACEhead/manifold/canister. TM32/Open bottle/hot tube removed. Pertronix Coil. Fed mandates removed. Gr.TCI. Bobber seat. Battery in right side case. Decomp&all doodads removed. '30s Lucas taillight/7" visored headlight. Much blackout & wire/electrical upgrades.

REpozer

• Grand Gearhead
  • Royal Enfield , Let the good times roll.
Reply #3 on: October 31, 2018, 06:41:47 pm
Sorry to see you go .
2008 ( AVL) Classic Bullet in British Racing Green
REA member # 84  (inactive)

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: October 31, 2018, 07:05:44 pm
Sorry to see you go .

Who go  ??? ???

RI USA '08 Black AVL Classic.9.8:1 ACEhead/manifold/canister. TM32/Open bottle/hot tube removed. Pertronix Coil. Fed mandates removed. Gr.TCI. Bobber seat. Battery in right side case. Decomp&all doodads removed. '30s Lucas taillight/7" visored headlight. Much blackout & wire/electrical upgrades.

Bilgemaster

• Just some guy
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: November 01, 2018, 02:24:17 pm
         Who go  ??? ???

No...No...Yugo.

« Last Edit: November 01, 2018, 02:27:37 pm by Bilgemaster »
So badass my Enfield's actually illegal  in India. Yet it squeaks by here in Virginia.

Bilgemaster

• Just some guy
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #6 on: November 02, 2018, 12:01:48 am

[...Snip!] I wonder why they didn't do the battery box? [Snip!...]

Actually, my 2005 "Military" in its original factory "Battle Green" also has the black plastic locking battery cover. What stands out for me is the fact that they DID paint the primary drive case's fill hole bolt. Still, otherwise whoever sprayed it seems to have done a pretty fair job of at least taping off or removing what ought to be taped off or removed, like the side panel locks. By comparison, my '57 Zuendapp Bella scooter's recent two-tone rattlecan touch up looks like it was maybe done by volunteers from the Columbia Lighthouse for the Blind.

With four and a half days to go it's just up to $1,100. If I were in Florida, I have a feeling I know where I might be on Tuesday.

On the one hand, it's an AVL-engined "Military" with all the trimmings, which, even its unique color aside, must make it pretty damned rare. On the other hand, AVLs are  rare enough and were made so briefly as to have begun posing an extra level of difficulty where parts supplies are concerned.

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #7 on: November 02, 2018, 12:48:08 am
Actually, my 2005 "Military" in its original factory "Battle Green" also has the black plastic locking battery cover.

The battery cover on my 2008, with its horrible locking mechanism that never wanted to engage easily, was steel. It, the frame and the battery are long gone and not missed.

Bilgemaster

• Just some guy
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #8 on: November 12, 2018, 12:26:34 am
Well, for those who may be curious, when the hammer finally came down it went for just $1,600.

With a bit of luck someone just got themselves a fine little bargain backroads tourer there. If they chance to wisely stumble into these Forums, I do hope they'll give us the whole lowdown.