Author Topic: Powertronic  (Read 19499 times)

Bert Remington

• Grease Monkey
Reply #15 on: October 31, 2018, 10:57:57 pm
Well if there were any doubts about RE participation, the Powertronic's execrable, fantasy online documentation proves it.

On the other hand, the device is much better than the documentation.  The undocumented HEGO connection implies closed-loop operation allowing adaptation to a wide range of engine modifications and the undocumented package of relays addresses RE's electrical quality problems.  Impressive, especially for the price.  I'm looking forward to your next post.
2016 RE Classic 500 CA version Fair-Weather Mountain Bike
2014 Can-Am Spyder RT-S SE6 Freeway Commuter Pod

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #16 on: November 01, 2018, 02:58:54 pm
I have had one of the programmable units for about 5 years. One of their earliest units. It is still in its original box. I never got to try it.
My GT 535 came from the previous owner with a Power Commander, so I never installed the Racedynamics unit.
Home of the Fireball 535 !

Bmadd34

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #17 on: November 01, 2018, 07:28:03 pm
I have been trying to connect the unit to my computer for the past few hours without success. No matter what I do, I get error 28 from windows. Device driver not found.
When Life hands you lemons, Squeeze them in his eyes and take his wallet.

Bmadd34

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #18 on: November 01, 2018, 08:10:40 pm
Had to manually install the driver....  >:(

Bmadd34

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #19 on: November 01, 2018, 10:01:28 pm
This is an interesting little unit. Real time readings, Fuel trim adjustment, ignition timing adjustment, fuel deliver adjustment, RPM limiter override, you name it. It even shows what the Lambda is trying to do vs what
is actually doing and a self calibration system. I got Fieldy dialed in pretty close to awesome, took her out and there is a REAL difference there. No hesitation what so ever. None. If you thought deleting the Lambda and
adjusting the TPS closer to .7v-.8v was something, you aint seen nothin'. As for the power commander owners I've spoken with, fuel is all you can really control. For almost half the price you can gain FULL control of pretty
much EVERY system on your bike. I will toy with this rascal for a few more days yet before I record that portion of the video review which will go up next Thursday and will be riding to Virginia this Saturday. I'll let everyone
know exactly what I think after a 12 hour ride.

Bert Remington

• Grease Monkey
Reply #20 on: November 02, 2018, 12:48:38 am
TLI!!!  Step it up!

This device appears to be an outstanding value badly presented.  The website (s?), which you STILL haven't provided a link to, does not even hint at these capabilities.  Nor at the interfaces or the included parts (eg, relays).  And your presentation of these features isn't much better.

So let's have some pictures (4 minimum) of "What's in the box?"  Also some post-install pictures (one per connection minimum plus relays and device).

And if there is a manual, some pictures of each page or double-page.  Even better if there is electronic documentation -- post it.  If you can arrange to send me a manual, I will scan it and send you the PDF.

Remember you are generating traffic for this device. And we like pictures on this forum*.  And you could very well be introducing a game-changing ECU piggyback to the English-speaking RE community supplied by CMW and Hitchcocks.  Move on it with serious data dump, not just my-butt-feels-good riding experience (although that's important too and you are doing well in that regard).

I'm too far into to my PC V and AT-200 ECU piggyback to change but, if you haven't noticed, I'm following your Powertronic post closely.

* Yeah YouTube traffic is good for you but CMW is hosting this forum.  Never forget.

Mad4Bullets

• Grease Monkey
  • 2014 Classic 500
Reply #21 on: November 02, 2018, 01:10:16 am
You take your sweet time MaddMan.   All of this is interesting of course, but as best I can tell it's not keeping anyone off the road at the moment. It's your post and as far as I'm concerned you can present it however you like in your own time.  Keep up the good work.  Regards,  Kevin Daly

gizzo

• Grand Gearhead
  • purple people
Reply #22 on: November 02, 2018, 05:40:33 am
FWIW the PC-V for Enfields comes with ignition control too. Still costs twice as much, though.
simon from south Australia
Continental GT
Pantah
DR250
DRZ400SM
C90
GSX250E

Bmadd34

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #23 on: November 02, 2018, 10:27:05 am
TLI!!!  Step it up!

This device appears to be an outstanding value badly presented.  The website (s?), which you STILL haven't provided a link to, does not even hint at these capabilities.  Nor at the interfaces or the included parts (eg, relays). 
And your presentation of these features isn't much better. So let's have some pictures (4 minimum) of "What's in the box?"  Also some post-install pictures (one per connection minimum plus relays and device).
And if there is a manual, some pictures of each page or double-page.  Even better if there is electronic documentation -- post it.  If you can arrange to send me a manual, I will scan it and send you the PDF.
Remember you are generating traffic for this device. And we like pictures on this forum*.  And you could very well be introducing a game-changing ECU piggyback to the English-speaking RE community supplied by
CMW and Hitchcocks.  Move on it with serious data dump, not just my-butt-feels-good riding experience (although that's important too and you are doing well in that regard).
I'm too far into to my PC V and AT-200 ECU piggyback to change but, if you haven't noticed, I'm following your Powertronic post closely.

* Yeah YouTube traffic is good for you but CMW is hosting this forum.  Never forget.

I do respect and encourage feedback from you guys, here on this forum especially. That is why this is the only site/outlet I am giving this type of preview to. As for pictures, I posted the ones I took for this forum. When
the Sun comes up, I will go grab the manual and scan it to the computer to post here. When I hook it up today, I will try and grab some screen shots for you guys as well. I will tell you that any value entered in the tables
over 0 (which is the base reading for stock) is above stock read out. As mentioned before, the unit comes with 2 pre-loaded maps, but you can also download 3 additional maps from the site
(http://powertronic.racedynamics.com/) as well here: http://powertronic.racedynamics.com/choose-your-bike-2/royal-enfield-2/ . Of course you guys are not aware of this, but I do not have a capable lap top to do this
with, so I have to haul my desk top outside with extension cords in tow when I hook the unit up. I enjoy doing these things, but YouTube started as a hobby so I did not lose my mind sitting at home all day being disabled
and I never expected to grow this fast in such a short period of time. It is kind of overwhelming for me to be contacted by so many companies this early on and I am trying to do the best I can with what I have. I have
sacrificed my own things as well as body (I don't tell you guys the bad stuff) for this cause already. RENA has taken notice of what I am doing (They wouldn't really give me the time of day when I started) and they have told me directly that they appreciate
what I am doing. So, please keep in mind I am only one person with a limited budget (I do not make a single DIME from any of these companies) and no one can please everyone. Thanks.

dickim

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #24 on: November 02, 2018, 11:42:47 am
Agree fully with Kevin - it's your post that we read if we want to - and appreciate it as such,  easy to be critical when your not the one undertaking it, and the forum is individuals with no one speaking on our behalf.
2020 RE 650 GT (Mr Clean)
2014 C5
56 MGA
58 Healey 3000 (Resto in Progress)
2001 MX5 
2015 Mitsubishi Ute
2021 Camry Hybrid
Tipo 184 Kit ordered & awaiting delivery for build👍

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #25 on: November 02, 2018, 12:56:14 pm
TLI!!!  Step it up!

This device appears to be an outstanding value badly presented.  The website (s?), which you STILL haven't provided a link to, does not even hint at these capabilities.  Nor at the interfaces or the included parts (eg, relays).  And your presentation of these features isn't much better.

So let's have some pictures (4 minimum) of "What's in the box?"  Also some post-install pictures (one per connection minimum plus relays and device).

Remember you are generating traffic for this device. And we like pictures on this forum*.  And you could very well be introducing a game-changing ECU piggyback to the English-speaking RE community supplied by CMW and Hitchcocks.  Move on it with serious data dump, not just my-butt-feels-good riding experience (although that's important too and you are doing well in that regard).

I wish I could, but my bike was stolen last Christmas, and I have no bike now.
Home of the Fireball 535 !

Bmadd34

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #26 on: November 02, 2018, 06:15:13 pm
Here are a couple of pictures.

9fingers

• Grand Gearhead
  • From the New Hampshire part of New Jersey
Reply #27 on: November 03, 2018, 12:34:13 pm
Hey Bmadd, thanks for doing this! Super cool! I am put off by the cost of the PCV so this thing might be right up my alley. Though, as an older guy my PC skills are more limited, so I would get my engineer son to help with that part. Keep up the good work, but at your own pace.
9fingers

http://powertronic.racedynamics.com/
« Last Edit: November 03, 2018, 12:40:10 pm by 9fingers »
Currently own:

2016 Classic Chrome Maroon
2020 Moto Guzzi V7III Special
V Strom 650 ABS Adventure
Beta Rev 3 270
Honda TLR200 custom
Honda TL 250 TMI custom frame
Honda TL 125
Yamaha TY350

Bert Remington

• Grease Monkey
Reply #28 on: November 03, 2018, 05:49:39 pm
This is fun. :)  But slow.

PT Installation below. RTune manual here: http://powertronic.racedynamics.com/download/r-tune/

I can't speak to RTune but the Installation manual bears little relationship to the pictures Bmadd34 provided.

US C5 owners purchase the PT here: https://powertronicusa.myshopify.com/products/powertronic-royal-enfield-classic-500

Hmmm picture not the same as Bmadd34's is it (purchase picture carbon-fiber, Bmadd34 orange)?

These information lacks and conflicts make Bmadd34's efforts so valuable.  We're looking at a $280 device supporting closed loop operation with existing HEGO vice Dynojet's Power Commander and Autotune AT-200 combination at $600 (est) requiring new 18mm exhaust bung for the UEGO.  Half the price and a tenth the installation effort.  Plus you get better power, pump, etc replacement relays.  And Xmas is coming soon...

Bmadd34 and I have exchanged PMs in the past.  And if you haven't realized from the personal initiative and hard work he's demonstrated at this site, I can tell you he's a smart, tough SOB.  I didn't even singe him.  I just provided a bit of encouragement and focus. ;D

PS I just happen to have a couple of Toshiba WinXP laptops I haven't been able to toss...  I'm charging one now and if its still working, Bmadd34 will be getting an early Xmas present.

Bert Remington

• Grease Monkey
Reply #29 on: November 04, 2018, 12:29:16 am
Continuing my research of this device.

Expectations: this device will change a conservative lean-burn UCE into an aggressive rich-burn UCE.  Throttle response will be faster but at best 5hp (at crankshaft) increase depending on external intake and exhaust modifications (internal modifications are a different matter, 20+hp possible).

Here's what they have to say at www.powersutra.com in Dallas, TX:

-----

PowerTRONIC is an Electronic Fuel and Ignition Controller.

Fuel Control

Fuel injection quantity modulation is relatively simple and many aftermarket options exist to increase fuel quantity alone. PowerTRONIC has the ability to increase or decrease fuel quantity, along with the ability to identify acceleration transient conditions and adjust accordingly.

Ignition Control

PowerTRONIC is currently the only Piggyback ECU available that can modify Ignition timing without using a crankshaft or camshaft reference signal. Our complex algorithms predict the dynamics of engine operation and manage the ignition timing to a great degree of accuracy while allowing for Ignition to be both Advanced or Retarded.

What makes it special?

Simplified Installation and ease of use

The flexibility of the PowerTRONIC piggyback system allows the OE ECU to seamlessly manage functions such as cold starts, hot starts, diagnostics, temperature/altitude compensations, ignition knock limits, etc. with PowerTRONIC taking over control only at desired RPMs as a function of user programmed corrective over the OE ECU parameters.

Advanced prediction system for Injector and Ignition control

PowerTRONIC's state of the art hardware and software algorithms give it unmatched potential. It is presently the only piggyback ECU in existence to deliver accurate ignition control on-board with the capability to advance and retard by just using injection and ignition signals. Fuel injection too can be increased or decreased by the user.

-----

First, the CPS fluff.  RE uses a variable reluctance CPS which as with all engineered devices has tradeoffs and RE made the correct choice for the UCE.  But it isn't digital which is kinda old school so, unlike the PC V which has a CPS tap, the PT uses processing power rather than analog electronics to predict crankshaft position (since the RE fires fuel and ignition on every revolution, camshaft position isn't needed).  Contrary to the PT fluff, this ain't hard especially for a slow-revving engine with heavy crankshaft (which I think weighs more than my track Mustang's flywheel) but for today's "supercomputer in your hand" it's cheap and easy.

Second, when does the PT take over from the Keihn ECU?  This isn't clear but appears to be just during the warm-engine, throttle-moved part of the ride regime leaving all other parts (eg, cold start, warm start, etc) and the MAP and HEGO sensors to the Keihn ECU just like the PC V does (the Autotune AT-200 replaces the HEGO with a UEGO for warm-engine closed-loop operation).

Third, it all comes down to Bmadd34's "Lambda Jumper" picture.  If the jumper leads back to the PT then I'm pretty sure we have a closed-loop device here.  If the jumper is just a bigger version of the PC V's "O2 Optimizer" then we have an intelligent, programmable open-loop device like the PC V.

Recommendation (based on analysis only): if this is a closed-loop device (ie, HEGO feedback) as Bmadd34's description implies, it is an excellent $280 investment for active UCE owners.

PS A Toshiba WinXP laptop with built-in WiFi and RW DVD will be on its way to Bmadd34 Monday.