Author Topic: Powertronic  (Read 19496 times)

Bmadd34

• Grand Gearhead
on: October 27, 2018, 08:07:31 pm
Have any members heard of Powertronic? They are an Indian company that makes programmable ECU Piggyback units.
When Life hands you lemons, Squeeze them in his eyes and take his wallet.

hpwaco

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: October 27, 2018, 11:43:54 pm
Do a search for Powertronic.

gizzo

• Grand Gearhead
  • purple people
Reply #2 on: October 27, 2018, 11:45:46 pm
Not heard of them, but is there a good reason to not buy the local product that is known to work and known good quality, with backup, warranty and updates?
Hello, Powercommander.
simon from south Australia
Continental GT
Pantah
DR250
DRZ400SM
C90
GSX250E

wildbill

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: October 27, 2018, 11:54:26 pm
or even the cheaper EJK

dickim

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: October 28, 2018, 12:11:34 am
But bill how do we know how long they last............
2020 RE 650 GT (Mr Clean)
2014 C5
56 MGA
58 Healey 3000 (Resto in Progress)
2001 MX5 
2015 Mitsubishi Ute
2021 Camry Hybrid
Tipo 184 Kit ordered & awaiting delivery for build👍

Jako

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: October 28, 2018, 12:12:18 am
Paul _ 42  From our Continental GT forum was running the powertronic  I believe.
2020 Rav Red Interceptor (wife's bike) ,Interceptor 2019 bakers express ,  2021 Honda cb500X, 2021  euro4 Himalayan (wife's)

wildbill

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #6 on: October 28, 2018, 12:34:36 am
well I cant guarantee that. heres a good story. prior to buying that last bike I thought I will never buy a euro 3 again.
I sold my ejk for $200 and then for some reason I went out and bought another euro 3
so I text the guy I sold the ejk too but he didn't want to sell it back to me...lol
I then got in contact with the distributors and bought another new ejk for $350
well it went with the bike and only was on it 3 days I think...lol
oh the pain.

Bmadd34

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #7 on: October 28, 2018, 12:35:51 am
I am asking as the company is sending me one to highlight on my channel, and I had never heard of them before their correspondence.

gizzo

• Grand Gearhead
  • purple people
Reply #8 on: October 28, 2018, 09:17:01 am
Cool, be good to hear what you think.
simon from south Australia
Continental GT
Pantah
DR250
DRZ400SM
C90
GSX250E

Bert Remington

• Grease Monkey
Reply #9 on: October 28, 2018, 06:12:56 pm
As Bmadd34 said, PT is based in Bangalore India.  I'd be surprised if the PT engineers didn't have a lunch or two with RE engineers, an opportunity not easily afforded to PC V engineers.

Like the PC V, the PT device is a "piggyback" to the Keihn ECU.  C5 installation requires connection to the TPS, ignition coil, fuel injector, and "Ckp".  Next to last installation step is start the motorcycle with "Stock Coupler" aka "stand by unit" plugged into PT device connection.  If it starts, replace with PT device.  If not, follow their troubleshooting flowchart.

Of course I wondered about their use of the HEGO sensor.  From their http://powertronic.racedynamics.com/faq/ FAQ:

"Does the PowerTRONIC use the lambda sensor?

"The PowerTRONIC will allows overall ignition control in all operating points, and fuel control in the open-loop region of the original vehicle operating characteristics. The original lambda remains, and will help run the bike at optimal AFRs in the cruising region. You would see a much better throttle response and dynamics engine characteristics, along with safer air-fuel ratios at non-cruising conditions."

My reading of that answer is the PT's open-loop AFR map engages when the throttle position is changed or is WOT and the Keihn's closed-loop AFR map engages with steady-state partially-open throttle positions.  The PT device is apparently aware of the Keign HEGO as implied by the map names at http://racedynamics.com/downloads/maps/Royal%20Enfield/.

If I'm correct the PT operation is more subtle than the PC V whose operation apparently bypasses the Keihn ECU with open-loop AFR at all throttle openings and position changes.  The PC V includes a HEGO simulator so the Keihn doesn't light the MIL.  If you want closed-loop AFR then you add the Autotune AT-200.

I'm looking forward to Bmadd34's review.  While electrically less sophisticated than the PC V, functionally the PT seems more sophisticated.

One amusing installation note is this:

"We have often observed that the original relays provided are corroded, worn or of an inferior
quality. This can cause jerks at certain rpms. You might not observe these symptoms
without PowerTRONIC as the stock ECU works only on the preset map and does not look at
signals or injector supply."

"When the injector supply is faulty and fluctuates, PowerTRONIC would be unable to optimise
fuelling and this leads to jerks/stalling while in motion. Replacing the faulty relays has been
shown to eliminate this issue."

On the C5, the highlighted relays are the two to the left of the flasher relay.
2016 RE Classic 500 CA version Fair-Weather Mountain Bike
2014 Can-Am Spyder RT-S SE6 Freeway Commuter Pod

Bmadd34

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #10 on: October 28, 2018, 10:04:59 pm
I have actually contacted other companies since corresponding with Powertronic to do a head to head comparison. None have contacted me back as of yet.

Bert Remington

• Grease Monkey
Reply #11 on: October 28, 2018, 10:25:08 pm
If someone will loan you a PC V, I will loan you an Autotune AT-200.
2016 RE Classic 500 CA version Fair-Weather Mountain Bike
2014 Can-Am Spyder RT-S SE6 Freeway Commuter Pod

Bmadd34

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #12 on: October 31, 2018, 08:38:54 pm
I received the Powertronic unit today and installation wasn't bad or difficult if you're adept with basic tech. skills. It interacts/connects to the TPS, Fuel Injection, Ignition coil and even has a little jumper to finagle with
the Lambda sensor. It comes with two pre programmed maps that are easy to switch between via plugged or unplugged setup. Map 1 is for stock more or less, with a bit more grunt and a ton more throttle response.
Map 2 is for performance exhaust and/or performance filter giving more fuel and slightly advanced ignition timing. I have not hooked it up to a laptop yet but will tomorrow to play with the mapping. I will try to get a
local shop I am good friends with the owner of and slap it on the dyno to dial it in further. Stay tuned!!

Bmadd34

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #13 on: October 31, 2018, 09:10:43 pm
Pic.

Bmadd34

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #14 on: October 31, 2018, 09:22:14 pm
The Lambda jumper, and the "Stock Coupler"