Author Topic: Powertronic  (Read 19501 times)

Bmadd34

• Grand Gearhead
on: October 27, 2018, 08:07:31 pm
Have any members heard of Powertronic? They are an Indian company that makes programmable ECU Piggyback units.
When Life hands you lemons, Squeeze them in his eyes and take his wallet.

hpwaco

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: October 27, 2018, 11:43:54 pm
Do a search for Powertronic.

gizzo

• Grand Gearhead
  • purple people
Reply #2 on: October 27, 2018, 11:45:46 pm
Not heard of them, but is there a good reason to not buy the local product that is known to work and known good quality, with backup, warranty and updates?
Hello, Powercommander.
simon from south Australia
Continental GT
Pantah
DR250
DRZ400SM
C90
GSX250E

wildbill

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: October 27, 2018, 11:54:26 pm
or even the cheaper EJK

dickim

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: October 28, 2018, 12:11:34 am
But bill how do we know how long they last............
2020 RE 650 GT (Mr Clean)
2014 C5
56 MGA
58 Healey 3000 (Resto in Progress)
2001 MX5 
2015 Mitsubishi Ute
2021 Camry Hybrid
Tipo 184 Kit ordered & awaiting delivery for build👍

Jako

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: October 28, 2018, 12:12:18 am
Paul _ 42  From our Continental GT forum was running the powertronic  I believe.
2020 Rav Red Interceptor (wife's bike) ,Interceptor 2019 bakers express ,  2021 Honda cb500X, 2021  euro4 Himalayan (wife's)

wildbill

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #6 on: October 28, 2018, 12:34:36 am
well I cant guarantee that. heres a good story. prior to buying that last bike I thought I will never buy a euro 3 again.
I sold my ejk for $200 and then for some reason I went out and bought another euro 3
so I text the guy I sold the ejk too but he didn't want to sell it back to me...lol
I then got in contact with the distributors and bought another new ejk for $350
well it went with the bike and only was on it 3 days I think...lol
oh the pain.

Bmadd34

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #7 on: October 28, 2018, 12:35:51 am
I am asking as the company is sending me one to highlight on my channel, and I had never heard of them before their correspondence.

gizzo

• Grand Gearhead
  • purple people
Reply #8 on: October 28, 2018, 09:17:01 am
Cool, be good to hear what you think.
Continental GT
Pantah
DR250
DRZ400SM
C90
GSX250E

Bert Remington

• Grease Monkey
Reply #9 on: October 28, 2018, 06:12:56 pm
As Bmadd34 said, PT is based in Bangalore India.  I'd be surprised if the PT engineers didn't have a lunch or two with RE engineers, an opportunity not easily afforded to PC V engineers.

Like the PC V, the PT device is a "piggyback" to the Keihn ECU.  C5 installation requires connection to the TPS, ignition coil, fuel injector, and "Ckp".  Next to last installation step is start the motorcycle with "Stock Coupler" aka "stand by unit" plugged into PT device connection.  If it starts, replace with PT device.  If not, follow their troubleshooting flowchart.

Of course I wondered about their use of the HEGO sensor.  From their http://powertronic.racedynamics.com/faq/ FAQ:

"Does the PowerTRONIC use the lambda sensor?

"The PowerTRONIC will allows overall ignition control in all operating points, and fuel control in the open-loop region of the original vehicle operating characteristics. The original lambda remains, and will help run the bike at optimal AFRs in the cruising region. You would see a much better throttle response and dynamics engine characteristics, along with safer air-fuel ratios at non-cruising conditions."

My reading of that answer is the PT's open-loop AFR map engages when the throttle position is changed or is WOT and the Keihn's closed-loop AFR map engages with steady-state partially-open throttle positions.  The PT device is apparently aware of the Keign HEGO as implied by the map names at http://racedynamics.com/downloads/maps/Royal%20Enfield/.

If I'm correct the PT operation is more subtle than the PC V whose operation apparently bypasses the Keihn ECU with open-loop AFR at all throttle openings and position changes.  The PC V includes a HEGO simulator so the Keihn doesn't light the MIL.  If you want closed-loop AFR then you add the Autotune AT-200.

I'm looking forward to Bmadd34's review.  While electrically less sophisticated than the PC V, functionally the PT seems more sophisticated.

One amusing installation note is this:

"We have often observed that the original relays provided are corroded, worn or of an inferior
quality. This can cause jerks at certain rpms. You might not observe these symptoms
without PowerTRONIC as the stock ECU works only on the preset map and does not look at
signals or injector supply."

"When the injector supply is faulty and fluctuates, PowerTRONIC would be unable to optimise
fuelling and this leads to jerks/stalling while in motion. Replacing the faulty relays has been
shown to eliminate this issue."

On the C5, the highlighted relays are the two to the left of the flasher relay.
2016 RE Classic 500 CA version Fair-Weather Mountain Bike
2014 Can-Am Spyder RT-S SE6 Freeway Commuter Pod

Bmadd34

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #10 on: October 28, 2018, 10:04:59 pm
I have actually contacted other companies since corresponding with Powertronic to do a head to head comparison. None have contacted me back as of yet.

Bert Remington

• Grease Monkey
Reply #11 on: October 28, 2018, 10:25:08 pm
If someone will loan you a PC V, I will loan you an Autotune AT-200.

Bmadd34

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #12 on: October 31, 2018, 08:38:54 pm
I received the Powertronic unit today and installation wasn't bad or difficult if you're adept with basic tech. skills. It interacts/connects to the TPS, Fuel Injection, Ignition coil and even has a little jumper to finagle with
the Lambda sensor. It comes with two pre programmed maps that are easy to switch between via plugged or unplugged setup. Map 1 is for stock more or less, with a bit more grunt and a ton more throttle response.
Map 2 is for performance exhaust and/or performance filter giving more fuel and slightly advanced ignition timing. I have not hooked it up to a laptop yet but will tomorrow to play with the mapping. I will try to get a
local shop I am good friends with the owner of and slap it on the dyno to dial it in further. Stay tuned!!

Bmadd34

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #13 on: October 31, 2018, 09:10:43 pm
Pic.

Bmadd34

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #14 on: October 31, 2018, 09:22:14 pm
The Lambda jumper, and the "Stock Coupler"

Bert Remington

• Grease Monkey
Reply #15 on: October 31, 2018, 10:57:57 pm
Well if there were any doubts about RE participation, the Powertronic's execrable, fantasy online documentation proves it.

On the other hand, the device is much better than the documentation.  The undocumented HEGO connection implies closed-loop operation allowing adaptation to a wide range of engine modifications and the undocumented package of relays addresses RE's electrical quality problems.  Impressive, especially for the price.  I'm looking forward to your next post.

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #16 on: November 01, 2018, 02:58:54 pm
I have had one of the programmable units for about 5 years. One of their earliest units. It is still in its original box. I never got to try it.
My GT 535 came from the previous owner with a Power Commander, so I never installed the Racedynamics unit.
Home of the Fireball 535 !

Bmadd34

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #17 on: November 01, 2018, 07:28:03 pm
I have been trying to connect the unit to my computer for the past few hours without success. No matter what I do, I get error 28 from windows. Device driver not found.

Bmadd34

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #18 on: November 01, 2018, 08:10:40 pm
Had to manually install the driver....  >:(

Bmadd34

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #19 on: November 01, 2018, 10:01:28 pm
This is an interesting little unit. Real time readings, Fuel trim adjustment, ignition timing adjustment, fuel deliver adjustment, RPM limiter override, you name it. It even shows what the Lambda is trying to do vs what
is actually doing and a self calibration system. I got Fieldy dialed in pretty close to awesome, took her out and there is a REAL difference there. No hesitation what so ever. None. If you thought deleting the Lambda and
adjusting the TPS closer to .7v-.8v was something, you aint seen nothin'. As for the power commander owners I've spoken with, fuel is all you can really control. For almost half the price you can gain FULL control of pretty
much EVERY system on your bike. I will toy with this rascal for a few more days yet before I record that portion of the video review which will go up next Thursday and will be riding to Virginia this Saturday. I'll let everyone
know exactly what I think after a 12 hour ride.

Bert Remington

• Grease Monkey
Reply #20 on: November 02, 2018, 12:48:38 am
TLI!!!  Step it up!

This device appears to be an outstanding value badly presented.  The website (s?), which you STILL haven't provided a link to, does not even hint at these capabilities.  Nor at the interfaces or the included parts (eg, relays).  And your presentation of these features isn't much better.

So let's have some pictures (4 minimum) of "What's in the box?"  Also some post-install pictures (one per connection minimum plus relays and device).

And if there is a manual, some pictures of each page or double-page.  Even better if there is electronic documentation -- post it.  If you can arrange to send me a manual, I will scan it and send you the PDF.

Remember you are generating traffic for this device. And we like pictures on this forum*.  And you could very well be introducing a game-changing ECU piggyback to the English-speaking RE community supplied by CMW and Hitchcocks.  Move on it with serious data dump, not just my-butt-feels-good riding experience (although that's important too and you are doing well in that regard).

I'm too far into to my PC V and AT-200 ECU piggyback to change but, if you haven't noticed, I'm following your Powertronic post closely.

* Yeah YouTube traffic is good for you but CMW is hosting this forum.  Never forget.

Mad4Bullets

• Grease Monkey
  • 2014 Classic 500
Reply #21 on: November 02, 2018, 01:10:16 am
You take your sweet time MaddMan.   All of this is interesting of course, but as best I can tell it's not keeping anyone off the road at the moment. It's your post and as far as I'm concerned you can present it however you like in your own time.  Keep up the good work.  Regards,  Kevin Daly

gizzo

• Grand Gearhead
  • purple people
Reply #22 on: November 02, 2018, 05:40:33 am
FWIW the PC-V for Enfields comes with ignition control too. Still costs twice as much, though.
Continental GT
Pantah
DR250
DRZ400SM
C90
GSX250E

Bmadd34

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #23 on: November 02, 2018, 10:27:05 am
TLI!!!  Step it up!

This device appears to be an outstanding value badly presented.  The website (s?), which you STILL haven't provided a link to, does not even hint at these capabilities.  Nor at the interfaces or the included parts (eg, relays). 
And your presentation of these features isn't much better. So let's have some pictures (4 minimum) of "What's in the box?"  Also some post-install pictures (one per connection minimum plus relays and device).
And if there is a manual, some pictures of each page or double-page.  Even better if there is electronic documentation -- post it.  If you can arrange to send me a manual, I will scan it and send you the PDF.
Remember you are generating traffic for this device. And we like pictures on this forum*.  And you could very well be introducing a game-changing ECU piggyback to the English-speaking RE community supplied by
CMW and Hitchcocks.  Move on it with serious data dump, not just my-butt-feels-good riding experience (although that's important too and you are doing well in that regard).
I'm too far into to my PC V and AT-200 ECU piggyback to change but, if you haven't noticed, I'm following your Powertronic post closely.

* Yeah YouTube traffic is good for you but CMW is hosting this forum.  Never forget.

I do respect and encourage feedback from you guys, here on this forum especially. That is why this is the only site/outlet I am giving this type of preview to. As for pictures, I posted the ones I took for this forum. When
the Sun comes up, I will go grab the manual and scan it to the computer to post here. When I hook it up today, I will try and grab some screen shots for you guys as well. I will tell you that any value entered in the tables
over 0 (which is the base reading for stock) is above stock read out. As mentioned before, the unit comes with 2 pre-loaded maps, but you can also download 3 additional maps from the site
(http://powertronic.racedynamics.com/) as well here: http://powertronic.racedynamics.com/choose-your-bike-2/royal-enfield-2/ . Of course you guys are not aware of this, but I do not have a capable lap top to do this
with, so I have to haul my desk top outside with extension cords in tow when I hook the unit up. I enjoy doing these things, but YouTube started as a hobby so I did not lose my mind sitting at home all day being disabled
and I never expected to grow this fast in such a short period of time. It is kind of overwhelming for me to be contacted by so many companies this early on and I am trying to do the best I can with what I have. I have
sacrificed my own things as well as body (I don't tell you guys the bad stuff) for this cause already. RENA has taken notice of what I am doing (They wouldn't really give me the time of day when I started) and they have told me directly that they appreciate
what I am doing. So, please keep in mind I am only one person with a limited budget (I do not make a single DIME from any of these companies) and no one can please everyone. Thanks.

dickim

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #24 on: November 02, 2018, 11:42:47 am
Agree fully with Kevin - it's your post that we read if we want to - and appreciate it as such,  easy to be critical when your not the one undertaking it, and the forum is individuals with no one speaking on our behalf.
2020 RE 650 GT (Mr Clean)
2014 C5
56 MGA
58 Healey 3000 (Resto in Progress)
2001 MX5 
2015 Mitsubishi Ute
2021 Camry Hybrid
Tipo 184 Kit ordered & awaiting delivery for build👍

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #25 on: November 02, 2018, 12:56:14 pm
TLI!!!  Step it up!

This device appears to be an outstanding value badly presented.  The website (s?), which you STILL haven't provided a link to, does not even hint at these capabilities.  Nor at the interfaces or the included parts (eg, relays).  And your presentation of these features isn't much better.

So let's have some pictures (4 minimum) of "What's in the box?"  Also some post-install pictures (one per connection minimum plus relays and device).

Remember you are generating traffic for this device. And we like pictures on this forum*.  And you could very well be introducing a game-changing ECU piggyback to the English-speaking RE community supplied by CMW and Hitchcocks.  Move on it with serious data dump, not just my-butt-feels-good riding experience (although that's important too and you are doing well in that regard).

I wish I could, but my bike was stolen last Christmas, and I have no bike now.
Home of the Fireball 535 !

Bmadd34

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #26 on: November 02, 2018, 06:15:13 pm
Here are a couple of pictures.

9fingers

• Grand Gearhead
  • From the New Hampshire part of New Jersey
Reply #27 on: November 03, 2018, 12:34:13 pm
Hey Bmadd, thanks for doing this! Super cool! I am put off by the cost of the PCV so this thing might be right up my alley. Though, as an older guy my PC skills are more limited, so I would get my engineer son to help with that part. Keep up the good work, but at your own pace.
9fingers

http://powertronic.racedynamics.com/
« Last Edit: November 03, 2018, 12:40:10 pm by 9fingers »
Currently own:

2016 Classic Chrome Maroon
2020 Moto Guzzi V7III Special
V Strom 650 ABS Adventure
Beta Rev 3 270
Honda TLR200 custom
Honda TL 250 TMI custom frame
Honda TL 125
Yamaha TY350

Bert Remington

• Grease Monkey
Reply #28 on: November 03, 2018, 05:49:39 pm
This is fun. :)  But slow.

PT Installation below. RTune manual here: http://powertronic.racedynamics.com/download/r-tune/

I can't speak to RTune but the Installation manual bears little relationship to the pictures Bmadd34 provided.

US C5 owners purchase the PT here: https://powertronicusa.myshopify.com/products/powertronic-royal-enfield-classic-500

Hmmm picture not the same as Bmadd34's is it (purchase picture carbon-fiber, Bmadd34 orange)?

These information lacks and conflicts make Bmadd34's efforts so valuable.  We're looking at a $280 device supporting closed loop operation with existing HEGO vice Dynojet's Power Commander and Autotune AT-200 combination at $600 (est) requiring new 18mm exhaust bung for the UEGO.  Half the price and a tenth the installation effort.  Plus you get better power, pump, etc replacement relays.  And Xmas is coming soon...

Bmadd34 and I have exchanged PMs in the past.  And if you haven't realized from the personal initiative and hard work he's demonstrated at this site, I can tell you he's a smart, tough SOB.  I didn't even singe him.  I just provided a bit of encouragement and focus. ;D

PS I just happen to have a couple of Toshiba WinXP laptops I haven't been able to toss...  I'm charging one now and if its still working, Bmadd34 will be getting an early Xmas present.

Bert Remington

• Grease Monkey
Reply #29 on: November 04, 2018, 12:29:16 am
Continuing my research of this device.

Expectations: this device will change a conservative lean-burn UCE into an aggressive rich-burn UCE.  Throttle response will be faster but at best 5hp (at crankshaft) increase depending on external intake and exhaust modifications (internal modifications are a different matter, 20+hp possible).

Here's what they have to say at www.powersutra.com in Dallas, TX:

-----

PowerTRONIC is an Electronic Fuel and Ignition Controller.

Fuel Control

Fuel injection quantity modulation is relatively simple and many aftermarket options exist to increase fuel quantity alone. PowerTRONIC has the ability to increase or decrease fuel quantity, along with the ability to identify acceleration transient conditions and adjust accordingly.

Ignition Control

PowerTRONIC is currently the only Piggyback ECU available that can modify Ignition timing without using a crankshaft or camshaft reference signal. Our complex algorithms predict the dynamics of engine operation and manage the ignition timing to a great degree of accuracy while allowing for Ignition to be both Advanced or Retarded.

What makes it special?

Simplified Installation and ease of use

The flexibility of the PowerTRONIC piggyback system allows the OE ECU to seamlessly manage functions such as cold starts, hot starts, diagnostics, temperature/altitude compensations, ignition knock limits, etc. with PowerTRONIC taking over control only at desired RPMs as a function of user programmed corrective over the OE ECU parameters.

Advanced prediction system for Injector and Ignition control

PowerTRONIC's state of the art hardware and software algorithms give it unmatched potential. It is presently the only piggyback ECU in existence to deliver accurate ignition control on-board with the capability to advance and retard by just using injection and ignition signals. Fuel injection too can be increased or decreased by the user.

-----

First, the CPS fluff.  RE uses a variable reluctance CPS which as with all engineered devices has tradeoffs and RE made the correct choice for the UCE.  But it isn't digital which is kinda old school so, unlike the PC V which has a CPS tap, the PT uses processing power rather than analog electronics to predict crankshaft position (since the RE fires fuel and ignition on every revolution, camshaft position isn't needed).  Contrary to the PT fluff, this ain't hard especially for a slow-revving engine with heavy crankshaft (which I think weighs more than my track Mustang's flywheel) but for today's "supercomputer in your hand" it's cheap and easy.

Second, when does the PT take over from the Keihn ECU?  This isn't clear but appears to be just during the warm-engine, throttle-moved part of the ride regime leaving all other parts (eg, cold start, warm start, etc) and the MAP and HEGO sensors to the Keihn ECU just like the PC V does (the Autotune AT-200 replaces the HEGO with a UEGO for warm-engine closed-loop operation).

Third, it all comes down to Bmadd34's "Lambda Jumper" picture.  If the jumper leads back to the PT then I'm pretty sure we have a closed-loop device here.  If the jumper is just a bigger version of the PC V's "O2 Optimizer" then we have an intelligent, programmable open-loop device like the PC V.

Recommendation (based on analysis only): if this is a closed-loop device (ie, HEGO feedback) as Bmadd34's description implies, it is an excellent $280 investment for active UCE owners.

PS A Toshiba WinXP laptop with built-in WiFi and RW DVD will be on its way to Bmadd34 Monday.

Bmadd34

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #30 on: November 04, 2018, 06:03:15 pm
Hey guys. I am just getting back to this forum after returning home from Motorcycles of Dulles. Let me start by saying this was an adventure (Not the good kind) to get there. I headed from home at 4am to be there at
9-9:30. It was in the low 50s when I left, and the forecast was for highs in the upper 50s-low 60s later in the afternoon so I wore the RE leather jacket and the RE long sleeve. A little chilly, but not bad. when the sun
came up it was better, as I expected. Now, when I got to Reidsville Va. the bike shut off on me. I checked, and sure enough, the negative terminal broke. Again. "That's okay, I've got an extra in the saddle bag" I thought.
Nope, I left it in the other saddle bags. So I walked 2 miles to a truck stop, purchased a connector and walked 2 miles back. Oh, I walk with a cane for those of you who did not know. I got the connector installed, and now
I am running 2 hours or so behind schedule. I continue on, and call the dealership at 9am to explain I would be late and apologize. While pulled over for the call, I take a smoke break. Virginia's finest pull behind me and
turn on the blue lights. Great. He runs my tags, and says "Your tag number is coming back as a New York number, can you explain that?". I said WTF are you talking about? He asks me for my I.D. So, as I normally do, I
handed him my VA I.D. first, (As most police officers change their demeanor when they realize I am a Veteran) then my Driver's License. He runs my information and tells me to "Stay right there and don't move!" I started
to explain that I was headed to Dulles to shoot a video, but was told to Shut my mouth. Turns out, it was a mix up in the DOT system, and he still wanted to check my bike and my person. I was treated like a criminal for
NOTHING.
    I arrive at the dealership around 1pm. Four hours late. I walk in, and speak with one of the owners, John. He directed me to Carl, the Media guy. After a tour, etc. I started shooting the video. I had to wait for the other
owner to interview until he had time to do it. 2 hours or so. While I was reshooting a part of the video I wasn't satisfied with, I was aproached by a gentleman who actually recognised me from my YouTube channel, and
wanted to speak with me. A really cool guy actaully. He rides a Ural ad is thinking of getting an RE. I belive his name was Ezekial. I apologies if not. I have attached a picture of us. I get the interview, say my goodbyes
and leave with a dealership hat gifted to me by John at 4pm. I decide to stop for fuel, as the fuel light is coming on and off with brake use. I get to the station and realize I do not have my debit card. Now I am stuck.
My wife was out of town and not answering, My kids are 11 and 12 so no help there either. I had no choice but to panhandle to get fuel. Now that is depressing. It is now getting darker.... and COLDER. Forcast says 37!!!!
I am wearing a thin leather jacket and a long sleeve T. I have to keep stopping to warm up. On a motorcycle as you all know, in those temperatures at 65-70mph the wind chill is in the negative degrees. I got home at
around 1am with hypothermia. I would warm up, and immediately be cold again. I was cramping everywhere, and i hurt today.

Bmadd34

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #31 on: November 04, 2018, 08:53:58 pm
My apologies, I just realized I gave no information on the Powertronic. Well, It seemed to operate great. The good: No hesitation, no stalling, small increase in power, in low to mid range. Bad: Top end/WOT fuel needs to be
adjusted as it seems to slightly bog (too rich) and spark advance needs to be dialed back a bit because I think the engine may be running a little hot. I will wait for the laptop that Bert has been so gracious to offer before
making the adjustments, and that should also give me time to recoup from the ride. I will update all of you once I get the numbers right, and share what numbers I have set, with what changes I've made to the bike (exhaust
etc.) I apreciate your patience guys.

gizzo

• Grand Gearhead
  • purple people
Reply #32 on: November 04, 2018, 09:01:11 pm
What a day! Bet you're happy that one is over.
Continental GT
Pantah
DR250
DRZ400SM
C90
GSX250E

Bmadd34

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #33 on: November 04, 2018, 09:25:14 pm
What a day! Bet you're happy that one is over.
    You are correct. That was not a good day, lol.

Bmadd34

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #34 on: November 04, 2018, 09:35:33 pm
Forgot to mention one thing. While I was adjusting the GoPro to get a better look at the mountains coming into Virginia, The handlebar mount broke and I almost lost it. Bad day.

hpwaco

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #35 on: November 04, 2018, 11:52:57 pm
Powertronic listed on eBay ( under Royal Enfield Continental GT ) by a vendor/authorized dealer in Garland, TX For $255.

johno

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2012 B5 on the original Portland Dorset UK
Reply #36 on: November 05, 2018, 10:00:50 am
Sorry to hear of your bad day.
as the temps are dropping it might be worth keeping over-trousers and jacket and maybe over- gloves in the panniers.
Although not pretty, they are cheap and at least they keep the wind off. (saved me last winter in snow and no where to get shelter!)
On my B5 when the fuel light flashes on hills or braking, there is still at least 50 miles in the tank just wondering if one of those portable fuel cans that off roaders use might be of use for your long distance stuff... might make a good review too....
2012 B5 Bullet
 K&N, sport muffler, 18tooth fr sprocket, Avon style fairing, 1958 pattern British army haversacks. Mitas tyres DiD chain. Carberry plate.

9fingers

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #37 on: November 05, 2018, 12:40:49 pm
Agree with Johnno Bmadd and very sorry for your miserable day. That was a whole lotta crap heaped on one day. Did the cop apologize in any way after being such a jerk?
I wear a backpack, vintage looking of course, and carry overpants, warm gloves, water and any other things I want that day.
When I used to backpack I used to carry a mini stove and one of those aluminum cylinder cans full of stove gas, and carried the same can when trials riding whenever distance was involved since the tanks usually hold only around 1 gallon.
Carrying a quart of gas would get you an extra 15 miles plus and not weigh much.
Of course, also keep $5 or $10 in your bag for emergencies. But you know all this after what you went through. Thanks for testing the stuff and reporting on it.
9fingers
« Last Edit: November 06, 2018, 12:08:07 pm by 9fingers »
Currently own:

Beta Rev 3 270
Honda TLR200 custom
Honda TL 125
Yamaha TY350

Bmadd34

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #38 on: November 06, 2018, 10:21:13 am
I just heard back from Powertronic concerning open/closed loop operation:
PowerTRONIC operates in closed loop at part throttle conditions versus open loop in full throttle conditions.
Part throttle range spans from 30% - 70%
Full throttle spans >70%.
Ignition control is possible at all throttle conditions but AFR is possible to post 70% of throttling region.

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #39 on: November 06, 2018, 03:14:26 pm
Now, when I got to Reidsville Va. the bike shut off on me. I checked, and sure enough, the negative terminal broke. Again. "That's okay, I've got an extra in the saddle bag" I thought.
Nope, I left it in the other saddle bags. So I walked 2 miles to a truck stop, purchased a connector and walked 2 miles back. Oh, I walk with a cane for those of you who did not know.

Next time (there may very well be one!), save yourself the walk -  just cut the broken connector off and clamp the wire directly to the battery terminal.  When you do your re-wire using sensible wire gauges, leave the battery cable a bit long so you can ease the tension on the connector and maybe give it a longer life...

Bert Remington

• Grease Monkey
Reply #40 on: November 07, 2018, 12:59:18 am
What PT described was how all ECUs using narrowband HEGOs work.  It doesn't answer the question how the PT device works.

This is simple.  Does the PT device have at least one pair of wires connected to the RE's HEGO (eg, vice PC V's dead-ended jumper)?

If it does, then even without asking any questions of PT, we can be 90% sure how the PT device works based on the description provided by PowerSutra (thank you) plus R-Tune's Lambda display as Bmadd34 described.  There are too many factors (eg, the replacement relays, Bmadd24's connector picture, PowerSutra description) implying the superior capabilities of this device.

HOWEVER, we are still in a TLI situation.  What we need is pre-installation information as follows:

(1) What's in the Box?
(2) all the connectors interfacing to the RE, preferably with pictures
(3) an electronic or scanned copy of all documentation

I sent Bmadd34 a Panasonic ZS30 so we should be getting some great pictures of the above soon.

I'm assuming post-installation information will be on Bmadd34's YouTube channel.

-----------

If my assumptions and analysis are correct, we have a game-changing AFR device here: programmable AFR with closed-loop regime for half the cost of Dynojet's PC V with AT-200 solution, albeit narrow-band vice wide-band but close enough for an RE.

My recommendation: in anticipation of Bmadd34's confirming information, put the PT device at the top of your Xmas wish list (unless you have a birthday in November like I do but its too late for me I already have the PC V with AT-200).

My second recommendation (for Bmadd34): tell PT to improve their sucky documentation.  Apparently their technical writer previously wrote RE service manuals.  Improvements are possible and needed.  I'd be flattered to review those improvements before they publish them.

PS I have an extra (same reason I have an extra 2010 C5) new AT-200 (http://www.powercommander.com/powercommander/products/AutoTune/powercommander_autotune.aspx) so PM me if you would like to add this to your PC V.

Bmadd34

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #41 on: November 07, 2018, 04:21:55 am
Page 1

Bmadd34

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #42 on: November 07, 2018, 04:47:31 am
Page 1

Bmadd34

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #43 on: November 07, 2018, 04:51:43 am
Page 2

Bmadd34

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #44 on: November 07, 2018, 04:55:59 am
Page 3

Bmadd34

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #45 on: November 07, 2018, 05:02:46 am
Page 4

Bmadd34

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #46 on: November 07, 2018, 05:04:20 am
Sorry about the crappy images. I scanned the manual in, but was unable to post the pages here, so I just took a quick pic of the pages.

Bert Remington

• Grease Monkey
Reply #47 on: November 07, 2018, 03:54:10 pm
This is the same shoddy documentation thrown together by a moonlighting RE technical writer and posted on the Race Dynamics site in Bengaluru, India.  It doesn't show the O2 connectors in Bmadd34's picture at (https://forum.classicmotorworks.com/index.php/topic,26702.msg305750.html#msg305750) nor the gray and blue replacement relays nor the other cables, etc.  It doesn't even show a picture of the device controller itself!

Good on you Bmadd34 for figuring out the installation because except for Step 6 the documentation is useless.

So we still need this:

(1) What's in the Box? *
(2) all the connectors interfacing to the RE, preferably with pictures

* this is shorthand for a list of single item that is packed in the PT box.  For example:

(1) Control Unit
(2) Stock Coupler (Standby Unit)
(3) qty 2 Blue relays
(4) qty 2 Gray relays
(5) and so on and so forth...

I'm going to contact PowerSutra in Dallas and see if they can provide the information needed to make an informed purchase decision.

Bmadd34

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #48 on: November 08, 2018, 01:30:05 am

9fingers

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #49 on: November 08, 2018, 02:27:06 am
Awesome, this looks easy enough that even I could do it. But I will have help just in case............
Thanks Bmadd
9fingers
Currently own:

Beta Rev 3 270
Honda TLR200 custom
Honda TL 125
Yamaha TY350

Bmadd34

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #50 on: November 08, 2018, 02:43:09 am
Okay, to go off Bert's list, here is what the package comes with.

(1) Control Unit
(2) Stock Coupler (Standby Unit)
(3) qty 2 Blue relays
(4) qty 2 Gray relays
(5) Wiring harness (Connects to TPS, Coil, Fuel injector, and Lambda sensor (via a jumper). All connections are labeled.)
(6) USB cable for tuning.
(7) Instructions.
(8) Key chains and stickers.

That's it.

9fingers

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #51 on: November 08, 2018, 12:57:28 pm
I am ordering one....after I fix the leak in my roof and the damage it caused.
9fingers
Currently own:

Beta Rev 3 270
Honda TLR200 custom
Honda TL 125
Yamaha TY350

Bmadd34

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #52 on: November 14, 2018, 06:25:59 pm
The video is uploading now.

Bmadd34

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #53 on: November 15, 2018, 10:25:52 am
Here is the video review for the Powertronic. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8RVtF8buGUA

9fingers

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #54 on: November 15, 2018, 01:04:09 pm
Excellent video! Thanks!
9fingers
Currently own:

Beta Rev 3 270
Honda TLR200 custom
Honda TL 125
Yamaha TY350

Bmadd34

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #55 on: November 15, 2018, 01:48:47 pm
Excellent video! Thanks!
9fingers

You are quite welcome and thank you for watching.  :)

Dalmatian man

• Bulleteer
Reply #56 on: November 15, 2018, 07:53:13 pm
Very  informative video, many thanks for all your time and effort.
33cc cyclemaster
James Cadet
James Comodore
Honda C50
Suzuki Gn250
BMW 650
Honda Hornet 600
BMW R1100RS
Royal Enfield C5 2014
BMW G310R

Bmadd34

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #57 on: November 15, 2018, 08:38:24 pm
Very  informative video, many thanks for all your time and effort.
    You are very welcome.

heloego

• A 2x4. My kingdom for a 2x4!
  • Grand Gearhead
  • USA '12 C5, '06 ElectraX
Reply #58 on: November 15, 2018, 11:58:14 pm
Excellent review!You've sold me on the advantages of the system, fer sure.Only problem is I already shelld out $250 for an EJK a few years back and planning to sell the bike. Otherwise I would order one ASAP.
Maybe for the Bonnie.  ???
'18 Bonneville T-100, Blue/White
'12 C5 Classic
'06 Electra X AVL w/32mm Mikuni and Gold Star system.

Jako

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #59 on: November 16, 2018, 11:46:36 am
Positive review for the Himalayan version https://www.facebook.com/PowertronicECU/posts/1014263145412030
2020 Rav Red Interceptor (wife's bike) ,Interceptor 2019 bakers express ,  2021 Honda cb500X, 2021  euro4 Himalayan (wife's)

johno

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2012 B5 on the original Portland Dorset UK
Reply #60 on: November 16, 2018, 10:00:25 pm
great review, thanks ;)
2012 B5 Bullet
 K&N, sport muffler, 18tooth fr sprocket, Avon style fairing, 1958 pattern British army haversacks. Mitas tyres DiD chain. Carberry plate.

Roshiba777

• Grease Monkey
Reply #61 on: November 17, 2018, 08:07:13 am
Good Review
Royal Enfield CI 500 (2000)
Royal Enfield STD UCE 500 (2010)
Royal Enfield Classic 500 (2011)
Royal Enfield Classic Chrome 500 (2011)
Yamaha RD350 (1988)
Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 (2019)

wildbill

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #62 on: November 20, 2018, 01:00:59 am
great review and if you missed it at all i'd say if only you could have got on the bike belted it down the rode and got off and said...shit that's money well spent!
that way you get a good feel for the upgrade.
although you did get a camera knocked off but did film with one. it was raining so I understand...even I wont ride in wet weather...rarely have
apart from that its a very good job and you should be pretty happy

Bmadd34

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #63 on: November 20, 2018, 10:08:24 am
great review and if you missed it at all i'd say if only you could have got on the bike belted it down the rode and got off and said...shit that's money well spent!
that way you get a good feel for the upgrade.
although you did get a camera knocked off but did film with one. it was raining so I understand...even I wont ride in wet weather...rarely have
apart from that its a very good job and you should be pretty happy

Thank you. Your appreciation is very important.

Bmadd34

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #64 on: November 30, 2018, 03:17:44 am
Hitchcocks is now carrying the Powertronic.

Flannelmeister

• Neophyte
Reply #65 on: November 28, 2019, 05:49:12 pm
I see this is quite an old thread but I hope someone will see this. Have just fitted the Powertronic to my 2018 Stealth Black classic 500. A couple of issues. When trying to use the supplied replacement relays, the bike runs fine in neutral but cuts out the moment you put it into gear. I have had to put the standard ones back in. Secondly, since fitting the unit, the ABS light does not go out. Any ideas guys?

Bmadd34

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #66 on: November 28, 2019, 05:56:53 pm
I see this is quite an old thread but I hope someone will see this. Have just fitted the Powertronic to my 2018 Stealth Black classic 500. A couple of issues. When trying to use the supplied replacement relays, the bike runs fine in neutral but cuts out the moment you put it into gear. I have had to put the standard ones back in. Secondly, since fitting the unit, the ABS light does not go out. Any ideas guys?

There is a short in the wiring somewhere. Contact customer support and ask for Prashanth

gizzo

• Grand Gearhead
  • purple people
Reply #67 on: November 28, 2019, 09:09:18 pm
Is this the three relays for fuel pump, efi etc?  I think I remember that two are NO, one NC or vise versa. If you put the wrong relay in the wrong socket, it won't work. My experience with continental gt anyway. Hope it's as easy as swapping them around.
Continental GT
Pantah
DR250
DRZ400SM
C90
GSX250E