Author Topic: Wire Diagram  (Read 12123 times)

Kitterat

• Scooter
on: October 21, 2018, 02:28:43 pm
Hello! I'm Brand new to REs but have owned a boatload of bikes....got a '99 Bullet 350 via trade for a vintage honda. Not running (hasn't for years). Looking forward to a long Maine winter together....anyway, the PO (or somebody) badly hacked into the wiring...Does anyone know where I could find an accurate schematic? The one's I have found online identify a "Main Switch", for instance, which I don't appear to have (unless the PO removed it; it's that bad). I bought a replacement wire harness, but none of the wire colours appear to match....help!

symmo

• Scooter
Reply #1 on: October 21, 2018, 07:59:09 pm

Adrian II

• Grand Gearhead
  • Sharing my ignorance with anyone who needs it
Reply #3 on: October 21, 2018, 10:18:58 pm
A '99 Bullet could well have an AC headlamp, neither of those two diagrams cover that.

A.
Grumpy Brit still seeking 500 AVL Bullet perfection! Will let you know if I get anywhere near...

mrunderhill1975a

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: October 22, 2018, 07:27:55 pm
Here are a few wiring diagrams from the Yahoo RE group site.

mrunderhill1975a

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: October 22, 2018, 07:32:18 pm
More, one "99 with 4 wire alternator

Kitterat

• Scooter
Reply #6 on: November 14, 2018, 11:18:23 pm
Thanks...you guys (sorry, figure of speech; hope I didn't offend anyone) have given me a place to start, anyway. I managed to wrestle the beast into my cellar-no heat in the garage; and no garage....
BTW, I didn't mean to be the guy who asks a question and disappears,either. I got gifted a non-running BMW (2006 F650gs...not really my thing) that needed some attention. I am really pinched for space....look forward to working with you guys (sorry, again)!

Adrian II

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #7 on: November 15, 2018, 12:26:10 pm
When you get the time, check to see how many alternator rotor wires you have and what color they are. 1999 was the changeover year to AC headlights as mentioned above, once we know what alternator you have we can guide you to the correct wiring diagram.

A.
Grumpy Brit still seeking 500 AVL Bullet perfection! Will let you know if I get anywhere near...

Kitterat

• Scooter
Reply #8 on: November 17, 2018, 12:57:08 am
3 wires (purple, green and white)....on quite a learning curve; date of production is May 99. the PO had installed Minda controls which kind of threw me off.
I got a bunch of parts with it amongst them is the wrong replacement wire harness. gonna purchase one from Hitchcock....they a pretty good outfit?
I don't think the PO got this running. I believe the guy who owned it before him got murdered....

Adrian II

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #9 on: November 17, 2018, 04:46:31 pm
OK, you have the older-style system with all the lights (and everything else) running on 12V DC, and NOT the later AC-powered headlamp set-up.

Having the Minda switch will complicate things just a little as you will have to work off more than one wiring diagram, but it will be fine for an all-DC set-up, just don't connect the red and yellow wire from the switch to anything! I have wired two Bullets for all-DC using these switches and got caught out both times. It had been a while before I wired the second one and I had forgotten about my first blunder... :-[

A.

Kitterat

• Scooter
Reply #10 on: November 19, 2018, 12:17:42 am
See, you made the mistake twice so I didn't have to, (what is it they say about the second kick of the mule?)....I still have the original magura switches...unless there's some advantage to the mindas, I might as well reinstall those, right? It appears (one of) the PO's just ordered stuff and hung it on the bike, like ornaments...thank's for then heads up...this stuff is gold!

Adrian II

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #11 on: November 19, 2018, 01:47:13 pm
If the Magura switches still work OK keep them, but as they're now virtually unobtainable for replacements, keep the Minda close at hand.

A.

Kitterat

• Scooter
Reply #12 on: January 06, 2019, 02:05:46 am
UPDATE (or what's that smell?):  This are going well, sprung for the correct wire harness and  printed an oversized copy of the wire schematic (thanks, bloke...am I saying that right?) and got down to it...wired around a few things-the bikes gonna be a toggle switch "power on" set up- and ended up using the minda switch, the magura was pretty banged up...
powered it up tonight and got one forlorn wisp of smoke from the left side switch. I had crossed the horn wire with a power wire. easy fix....next up, the directionals...
I would like to get all the electrical stuff working before I try to figure out why it won't got into gear....

Why do we do this?

Adrian II

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #13 on: January 06, 2019, 04:24:43 pm
Why do we do this?

A common though sometimes unspoken question in this field cabbage patch of human endeavor...

Minda switch wire colors - on my fairly recent example the wires are mostly routed into plastic 2.8mm terminal connector blocks:

In the 2 way green connector Blue = dipswitch to headlamp main beam, Green = dipswitch to dipped beam;

In the 4 way black connector Grey = speedo and tail light supply, Grey and Black = pilot/side light supply, Purple = horn to horn (earthing) button, White = supply to indicator switch the from flasher/blinker unit;

In the 4 way green connector unit, Red and White = the power supply to the switch from the ammeter, Blue = main beam warning light. (plain) Yellow would normally be the AC supply to the headlamp. For use in an all DC set-up it needs a 12V feed off the ammeter and can be combined with one to the Red and White wire, Yellow and Red = DO NOT USE OR CONNECT TO ANYTHING on a DC system;

That just leaves the two with the 3.9mm bullet ends. Black and White wire = indicator switch to left-hand indicators and Black and Green wire = indicator switch to right-hand indicators.

Hope this is helpful.

A.

Stogierob

• Bulleteer
Reply #14 on: January 15, 2019, 07:07:07 pm
I hate electrical....

sigh...  and once again, thank you to all who post picts and identify other forums where inept newbies like myself can try to figure this stuff out...

Any of you live near Chicago?

Rob
1977 RE Bullet 350 that is slowly being converted to resemble a WWII era bike...