Author Topic: Scratched Tank  (Read 4643 times)

Ergyd

• Scooter
on: October 18, 2018, 10:24:14 pm
... and it wasn't my fault  >:(

Parked up at a lovely farm shop for a coffee, enormous car park, loads of room.

Walked out an hour later, and felt that something wasn't right. Looked over the whole bike, and found a big old scratch and scuff on the tank, right where my left knee rests. Furiously started berating myself, and checked my jeans... Only to look down and notice that there was a second side stand mark on the floor.

Upon further inspection, I could see the tyre mark leading up to where I'd left the bike initially...

Now accidents happen, I accept that. But to knock a bike over, lift it back up, and drive away without coming to find me (the only biker in the place), or leaving a note is just a shitty thing to do. >:( >:( >:(

No CCTV unfortunately, so no-one to hunt down. So now, I have to sort it myself...

Is this a DIY-able job, or better to let the professionals handle it? If so, any estimates for cost?

Thank God for paniers full of clothes taking the impact of the initial hit, and probably cushioning the drop...

Mad4Bullets

• Grease Monkey
  • 2014 Classic 500
Reply #1 on: October 18, 2018, 11:10:34 pm
By the photo it looks like it might be primarily the clear coat.  A polishing compound on a soft cloth would be a good place to start.  It certainly wouldn't make it any worse.

wildbill

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #2 on: October 19, 2018, 12:23:20 am
over the years ive done many full re-sprays on various cars. if your not talking  about any dents involved in the incident and just those 2 scuff marks over the gold striping then - a light cutting compound followed by a good polish should remove it very easily.

Bmadd34

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: October 19, 2018, 06:47:20 am
Mother's rubbing compound should do it.
When Life hands you lemons, Squeeze them in his eyes and take his wallet.

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
  • Everybody's havin' them dreams
Reply #4 on: October 19, 2018, 01:18:48 pm
    Those scratches may be a little rougher to remove than with a little Mother's rubbing compound.

I removed the doghouse tail light assembly very early in the life of my 2008 AVL. Ever since then I've been working on the marks left by the plastic edge trim that pressed against the fender with various rubbing compounds including Mother's.

Those marks are still there. I've thought of using a compound rough enough to just remove the clearcoat totally, but then what? I'm sure I could never match the clear coat in the garage. I'd have to strip and prep the whole fender (Eastwood's has some excellent rattle can clear coats).

PS: I'm actually pretty impressed with the quality of the paint job and clearcoat on my '08.

Good luck with those scratches. You almost can't leave anything out of your sight and that's been true for many years now.

« Last Edit: October 19, 2018, 01:22:27 pm by tooseevee »
RI USA '08 Black AVL Classic.9.8:1 ACEhead/manifold/canister. TM32/Open bottle/hot tube removed. Pertronix Coil. Fed mandates removed. Gr.TCI. Bobber seat. Battery in right side case. Decomp&all doodads removed. '30s Lucas taillight/7" visored headlight. Much blackout & wire/electrical upgrades.

wildbill

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: October 19, 2018, 02:48:42 pm
then again you could leave them as added character to a fine ride!

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
  • Everybody's havin' them dreams
Reply #6 on: October 19, 2018, 02:59:22 pm
then again you could leave them as added character to a fine ride!

I guess that's essentially what I've done  :) but not being able to fix something to my liking pisses me off  >:( >:( I'm a stubborn bastard.

PS: I'm incredibly happy with this damn bike, but it's been a long, strange, at times very frustrating, trip getting there.
RI USA '08 Black AVL Classic.9.8:1 ACEhead/manifold/canister. TM32/Open bottle/hot tube removed. Pertronix Coil. Fed mandates removed. Gr.TCI. Bobber seat. Battery in right side case. Decomp&all doodads removed. '30s Lucas taillight/7" visored headlight. Much blackout & wire/electrical upgrades.

wildbill

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #7 on: October 20, 2018, 12:52:18 am
i was pretty happy with my bike too but - sold it a couple of days ago. pretty good bike too but after 1000 miles - I need a change ;D
next idea to occupy my mind will be to buy a metal detector as I am close to 'gold country'....LOL
while I wait for news on the pre-ordered 650 interceptor

9fingers

• Grand Gearhead
  • From the New Hampshire part of New Jersey
Reply #8 on: October 25, 2018, 11:43:21 am
my dealer here in the USA told me the twins will arrive in Spring. Not sure if that is because they don't want them during Winter, or because they are not ready yet. I had thought they were coming in Nov. or Dec. At least I will see them at the NYC bike show in Dec.
Currently own:

2016 Classic Chrome Maroon
2020 Moto Guzzi V7III Special
V Strom 650 ABS Adventure
Beta Rev 3 270
Honda TLR200 custom
Honda TL 250 TMI custom frame
Honda TL 125
Yamaha TY350

Bilgemaster

• Just some guy
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • 2005 Bullet 500ES in "Mean Green" Military Trim
Reply #9 on: October 25, 2018, 09:38:01 pm
i was pretty happy with my bike too but - sold it a couple of days ago. pretty good bike too but after 1000 miles - I need a change ;D
next idea to occupy my mind will be to buy a metal detector as I am close to 'gold country'....LOL
while I wait for news on the pre-ordered 650 interceptor

I adore metal detecting, though up to now I've mostly just done it early mornings at the beach on vacations, whilst the rest of the troops happily malingered in their fartsacks until the sun was high in the sky. My advice for any newbie would be to start off with an inexpensive or semi-decent used rig, or even a borrowed one, just to see if it's indeed really for you. Don't sink a thousand bucks or more into the "very best gear" just yet, until you're quite sure swinging one of those things is your cup of tea. Here's a quick thought experiment to better illustrate matters: Visualize those roller blades you bought back in the '90s, tried once, and which have been mouldering in the closet untouched since then. Now imagine they cost about the same as a 2 carat diamond tennis bracelet, the actual resale value of which on a very good day is maybe a quarter of what you paid for it new. How do you feel now?

By coincidence, I recently submitted this to the Friendly Metal Detecting Forum  on the topic of hauling often-bulky metal detectors on motorcycles. Turns out the humble Harbor Freight 9-Function Metal Detector for well under 50 bucks with a coupon is NOT an entirely woeful device to give metal detecting a whirl without dipping into the kids' college fund. I've got one, as well as a fancy-shmancy Fisher 1280X fully-submersible 'Aquanaut' for scuba-searching that'll cost you about 15 times more. But you know what? Sometimes I'll just grab the Harbor Freight rig, 'cause it's lighter and does the job very nearly as well once you get used to it. Any doubts about that should be quickly dispelled by my man Mike at Wildcat Creek. It'll also break down very compactly into its original box in minutes, which measures just 24" x 7.5" x 5" (60cm x 19cm x 13cm), which would bungee handily onto a pillion seat, a luggage rack or even across one's handlebars. While you're at it, one of their little Handheld Metal Detectors, which often go on sale for about $12, can be a handy little tool to pinpoint the booty when the pit's getting a bit deep. I've had both for several years, and they're holding up just fine.

Now, I understand our man Wildbill is "geographically-challenged", what with his residing somewhere on the underbelly of our fine planet...a remote and primitive place where Harbor Freight stores are rarer than Wallabies with digital watches. For him and his Fosters-sodden ilk, there's this shipping info (scroll down to 'International Orders' near the bottom).

As for Ergyd's poor abused fuel tank, mauled by sneaky chickenshit morons with no business behind the wheel of a vehicle, I am also optimistic that the worst will buff away with some polishing compound, though I'm also sure he'll always see it...Still, it remains a gorgeous bike, and it could be worse. Could be self-inflicted. You just know  that henceforth every time this guy looked over his steering wheel he felt like a prize-winning Dorcus:

« Last Edit: October 26, 2018, 01:53:55 am by Bilgemaster »
So badass my Enfield's actually illegal  in India. Yet it squeaks by here in Virginia.

wildbill

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #10 on: October 26, 2018, 01:59:20 am
nice shooting over that bonnet...LOL

all good info on the detector too.

meanwhile the eldest daughter got wind of my - fill in time - detector idea and arrived at the house yesterday bearing a pre-birthday gift.
so sooner or later I will be heading out in the direction of the gold fields..LOL to try out my  gold monster 1000

it will fill in a bit of time while waiting out the 650. I don't think these dealer have a clue when it will arrive...same with the importers...LOL

Bilgemaster

• Just some guy
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #11 on: October 26, 2018, 02:59:30 am
nice shooting over that bonnet...LOL

all good info on the detector too.

meanwhile the eldest daughter got wind of my - fill in time - detector idea and arrived at the house yesterday bearing a pre-birthday gift.
so sooner or later I will be heading out in the direction of the gold fields..LOL to try out my  gold monster 1000

it will fill in a bit of time while waiting out the 650. I don't think these dealer have a clue when it will arrive...same with the importers...LOL

Well, that was well played, Sir. That Minelab Gold Monster 1000 is one of the very finest no-compromise 5-star machines there is, especially for gold hunting. There's a reason just about every YouTube placer gold panning, dredging or old tailings pile search videos actually worth watching has a Minelab featured in it. That's a fine machine indeed.

As for my own finest moment metal detecting thus far, it is described here.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2018, 03:05:39 am by Bilgemaster »
So badass my Enfield's actually illegal  in India. Yet it squeaks by here in Virginia.

wildbill

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #12 on: October 26, 2018, 03:17:39 am
that's not a bad find either. I suppose it proved that an iPhone will go to great depths to be heard....LOL
as for the gold idea. I am roughly 20 minutes away from where they found the first payable gold in Australia in 1851
don't like the area much either as summer is near upon us and the brown snakes are about in numbers.
bump into one of these guys and it could very easily be a one way trip!
over the years ive has a few encounters already. mainly chasing trout in the local streams

wildbill

• Grand Gearhead

Bilgemaster

• Just some guy
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #14 on: October 26, 2018, 03:54:09 am
that's not a bad find either. I suppose it proved that an iPhone will go to great depths to be heard....LOL
as for the gold idea. I am roughly 20 minutes away from where they found the first payable gold in Australia in 1851
don't like the area much either as summer is near upon us and the brown snakes are about in numbers.
bump into one of these guys and it could very easily be a one way trip!
over the years ive has a few encounters already. mainly chasing trout in the local streams

I'm still just so pleased with myself that I had the presence of mind to immediately say "Can you hear me now?" when that iPhone came out of the sandpit with witnesses watching. I expect I'll be mentioning it as proof of demonstrable mental acuity when my kids haul me before the judge at my involuntary committal hearing. Maybe you were never subjected to them down in Oz, but here we had years and years of cell phone company ads that used that tagline.

As for Oz, I've never been--just been told the place is crawling full of deadly critters: lethal barking spiders that leap at you from under toilet seats, flying venomous snakes, koalas with automatic weapons that'll follow you home from the pub in a taxi with homicidal intent...weird shit.

I did the "enumeration" for our 1990 National Census, which meant traipsing around the Texas Hill Country in circles searching for habitable dwellings. I've come across more rattlesnakes than some folks have had steak dinners...there were even some in my back yard in South Austin from time to time. I'd practically pay them no mind then or probably now. But Oz scares me.

Welcome to Australia, Mate!

« Last Edit: October 26, 2018, 04:14:37 am by Bilgemaster »