Author Topic: Found the source of my dead electrics  (Read 6339 times)

9fingers

• Grand Gearhead
  • From the New Hampshire part of New Jersey
on: October 15, 2018, 03:30:18 am
I finally found the source of the troubles I was having, the occasional sputtering and bucking under acceleration, and then the bike finally totally dying in my buddies driveway 1/4 mile down the road. I will attach a pic or two. Why didn't one of you tell me to check small negative lead from the battery? ............Just kidding since I have read many times that it is a good idea to replace it. Truth is, I didn't know what you all meant. I saw that my negative and positive wires were firmly attached and seemed fine. Only after I went out and bought a new battery and took out the old did I find that OTHER negative lead.....broken of course. The old battery is probably fine if a little weak in the cranking dept. I went with the Duracell Ultra battery with 220 CCA. $100, in stock local, great warranty, and it comes in black or grey. Anyway, the bike runs great again, such a pleasure to have it back. Thanks for all of the help and advice.
9fingers
« Last Edit: October 15, 2018, 12:47:08 pm by 9fingers »
Currently own:

2016 Classic Chrome Maroon
2020 Moto Guzzi V7III Special
V Strom 650 ABS Adventure
Beta Rev 3 270
Honda TLR200 custom
Honda TL 250 TMI custom frame
Honda TL 125
Yamaha TY350

9fingers

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: October 15, 2018, 03:34:40 am
try posting pics this time
Currently own:

Beta Rev 3 270
Honda TLR200 custom
Honda TL 125
Yamaha TY350

9fingers

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #2 on: October 15, 2018, 03:35:51 am
broken lead
Currently own:

Beta Rev 3 270
Honda TLR200 custom
Honda TL 125
Yamaha TY350

Bert Remington

• Grease Monkey
Reply #3 on: October 15, 2018, 03:38:12 am
2016 RE Classic 500 CA version Fair-Weather Mountain Bike
2014 Can-Am Spyder RT-S SE6 Freeway Commuter Pod

Mad4Bullets

• Grease Monkey
  • 2014 Classic 500
Reply #4 on: October 15, 2018, 11:15:29 am
There's the familiar culprit. Congratulations!

wildbill

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: October 15, 2018, 11:25:34 am
well that's one thing but knowing enfield's -there is always more following...lol

9fingers

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #6 on: October 15, 2018, 12:55:34 pm
wildbill, that does worry me. I really don't have a lot of time to work on bikes and needing a trailer ride home too many times will be a deal killer. Actually, even after I had it fixed I let it warm up about 5 minutes, purring like a kitten, rode down my 500 foot rocky driveway, and as I accelerated away in less than 75 feet it died again. I rolled into my extra grandmother's driveway and it cranked strongly but did not run. I moved the kickstand down and up and THEN it ran! So, that is the 2nd time that switch has done this to me in 1200 miles.......strong hint here. So, I will figure out how to eliminate that "safety" feature. Hopefully I won't continue to have failures so I won't need to trade for a Triumph, or one of the new BSA's (I would wait a couple of years on that one) or one of the new 650 twins (see previous statement). Truthfully, there is no other bike I would want to own if I were to five up on this one. I never wanted a road bike till I found the RE500. These things are cool!..........when they run.
9fingers
Currently own:

Beta Rev 3 270
Honda TLR200 custom
Honda TL 125
Yamaha TY350

9fingers

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #7 on: October 15, 2018, 01:00:19 pm
9fingers -- don't stop there.  Finish the job (https://forum.classicmotorworks.com/index.php/topic,7829.msg299814.html#msg299814).

Bert, when you guys talk about the "small negative lead" is it the wire that frequently breaks or is the terminal break like I had?

My son is going to bring me some of his electronics know how (Sr year engineering student and Captain of his schools Baja car racing team) and help me replace the terminal that broke. I just drilled a new hole and hooked it up again. If that wire is ALSO the frequent culprit then I will have him help me replace that too. What gauge wire is appropriate?Thanks!
9fingers
Currently own:

Beta Rev 3 270
Honda TLR200 custom
Honda TL 125
Yamaha TY350

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #8 on: October 15, 2018, 01:56:21 pm
Familiar indeed!  Now you'll know right where to look when it happens again, even after  you install your quality heavy-duty aftermarket connector:

9fingers

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #9 on: October 15, 2018, 02:14:43 pm
Familiar indeed!  Now you'll know right where to look when it happens again, even after  you install your quality heavy-duty aftermarket connector:

You are making me think I should make the new connector out of 14 gauge 304 SS! But then the wire will break, right?
Currently own:

Beta Rev 3 270
Honda TLR200 custom
Honda TL 125
Yamaha TY350

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #10 on: October 15, 2018, 06:41:38 pm
You are making me think I should make the new connector out of 14 gauge 304 SS! But then the wire will break, right?

;D  Maybe...

Some bikes vibrate more than others... can you guess where on the scale mine landed?

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #11 on: October 15, 2018, 06:49:28 pm
9fingers:

To disable the side stand safety switch just find the switch and then follow the wire.

It will end up plugged into the main harness near to the frame downtube at the rear of the engine.

Just unplug it from the main harness and the switch will never again cause you any problems.
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

hpwaco

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #12 on: October 15, 2018, 07:28:57 pm
PS:  I put the same Duracell Ultra battery from Batteries Plus in my 14 gt earlier this year as preventative measure and keep it on a maintained.   Also checked " small" wire at the time.

Bilgemaster

• Just some guy
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • 2005 Bullet 500ES in "Mean Green" Military Trim
Reply #13 on: October 17, 2018, 07:43:27 pm
Glad to hear that it seems you've got yours sorted. The more I read about that irksome legion of fancified electrical Gremlins in various UCE-engined rides (wonky sidestand switches, fragile ground and other terminals, fritzed out Ammeters, listless fuel pumps, etc.), the more grateful I become to have my old "El Primitivo" Iron Belly with none of those 21st Century "improvements."
So badass my Enfield's actually illegal  in India. Yet it squeaks by here in Virginia.

9fingers

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #14 on: October 17, 2018, 10:04:21 pm
Glad to hear that it seems you've got yours sorted. The more I read about that irksome legion of fancified electrical Gremlins in various UCE-engined rides (wonky sidestand switches, fragile ground and other terminals, fritzed out Ammeters, listless fuel pumps, etc.), the more grateful I become to have my old "El Primitivo" Iron Belly with none of those 21st Century "improvements."

That's funny......my son said the same thing about the electrics on his college teams Baja buggy.......was glad it did not have all the crap that my bike had on it. Ever the optimist, I think that after I replace that ground lead with something more robust, and eliminate the side stand switch, I will be good to go for a long time. At least I hope so. BTW, I do see slow but constant improvements on the bikes, from what I know at least. The owners of 2018 bikes would have to comment but I believe they have simplified/neatened the wiring in some areas, and my 2016 came with a sealed AGM battery, not the leaky lead acid ones that I hear about. It is not as good as the Duracell I just installed, but it was a decent quality battery, I think. Always hopeful! And with BSA entering the fray, RE will need to improve. Actually, what they have learned designing the Himalyan and the new 650s should eventually rub off on the 500.
9fingers
Currently own:

Beta Rev 3 270
Honda TLR200 custom
Honda TL 125
Yamaha TY350

Bilgemaster

• Just some guy
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • 2005 Bullet 500ES in "Mean Green" Military Trim
Reply #15 on: October 17, 2018, 10:29:08 pm
You know 9fingers, I expect that old vs. new may actually be an unfair comparison. You see, a full decade after the last one rolled off the line, all of the real lemons amongst the "Iron Breed" have probably long since been parted out or found their way to the crusher with extreme prejudice, leaving the mostly sweet-tempered or well-adjusted behind. I imagine that any UCE with a decade or, say, 10,000 miles, under it's belt, will have benefitted enough by then from knowledgeable and thoughtful stewardship that one might then knock wood and call her "reliable", its known quirks by then remediated. Time will sort out the real gurkens, and those UCEs clearly have their own virtues.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2018, 01:47:00 am by Bilgemaster »
So badass my Enfield's actually illegal  in India. Yet it squeaks by here in Virginia.

wildbill

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #16 on: October 17, 2018, 11:46:03 pm
at the moment I wouldn't class your bike as a bad one...if it was -you'd have sold it by now... ;) lol
you just chasing known issue points -rectifier/battery leads/side stand etc
I always thought from roughly 016 on they were better put together bikes. changes are minor and more in detail items but I think better.
out of my previous two 018 euro4 bikes one was very good and the other one very bad....lol
as to vibration some have very little and other will put your hands to sleep. first one I actually bought was such a bike.
I actually had a maroon chrome which was very good to ride with very little in the way of vibes.
its really the luck of the draw with these bikes.
the new Hondas and the Kawasaki I had earlier this and last year were far superior to these enfields in every way but unfortunately lacked -character...lol
I bet any of those 3 bikes you could ride to any destination in aust and trouble free - unfortunately not the case with enfields.
the best way I could sum up an enfield. you get buy a new bike which looks 50 years old. you will still have the problems like a 50 year old bike has BUT it will start and you will be able to ride it a bit further....LOL

9fingers

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #17 on: October 18, 2018, 01:17:31 pm
Thanks for all the comments. I have to admit a few things. I had not worked on a bike since 2007 as I mostly retired from trials competition and riding after 2008, save for a few rides on my 3 acres (which is plenty of land for trials riding). I also have NO experience working on electrics and diagnosing electrical troubles. I am good at painting, styling, grinding and wrenching. I have built some great trials bikes. But I don't LIKE working on bikes or cars anymore. When I bought the RE500 it was entirely because I thought they were beautiful and super cool. I had never even wanted a road bike.  But I thought that they would be almost as reliable as other bikes. I don't like worrying if I am going to make it on my 100 mile ride. Funny side note: on my first 100 mile ride my buddies relatively new Harley died from Electrical failure! He bought some jumper cables and we jumped it from my Enfield..........which I think is pretty ironic. It still had to be trailored to the dealer, but I digress. Now that I have figured out and fixed the negative lead and installed a really good battery, and know about the kickstand issue, I am becoming more comfortable with the notion that I will have to work on it more than expected, but I am learning how. My son bought me a great socket set and I bought a torque wrench, something I wanted since I was 16, but never purchased since I never really NEEDED it. My deer accident and my electrical issues have forced me to learn how this thing works and I am actually enjoying it as I figure it out........with all of your help! I bought the shop manual download, and it pretty much sucks, but it helps. With you guys, and my engineer son and my buddy Rich, who is truly a genius and literally a rocket scientist, I will get passably good at this electrical stuff. And I still love the bike, a joy to ride and look at. Cheers,
9fingers
« Last Edit: October 18, 2018, 10:04:40 pm by 9fingers »
Currently own:

Beta Rev 3 270
Honda TLR200 custom
Honda TL 125
Yamaha TY350

Mad4Bullets

• Grease Monkey
  • 2014 Classic 500
Reply #18 on: October 18, 2018, 03:19:49 pm
I had my electrical problems as you know and they're sorted and well behind me.  Aside from a few small setbacks along the way my humble Bullet has since been bulletproof.  Don't resign yourself to the mindset that you'll be constantly dealing with quality issues.  Hopefully your wrenches will be applied to general maintenance only and at least a couple nice hours of trouble free riding are still left in your season and your mind will soon be at ease.  You just need to fall in love with your Bullet again.  It will happen. I guarantee it.

dickim

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #19 on: October 19, 2018, 01:02:59 pm
+1 on enjoy and don't worry  :D  Literally disconnected side stand switch on way home from dealers at a mates house, had a miss going over bumps which because of this site knew was the battery terminal - REPLACED with QUALITY, and when the ori battery died put in a Motobat - only other issue was dealer induced oil leak which I fixed so nothing major, no huge vibrations (as Wildbill says, luck of the draw or in his case Bakers dozen nearly  ;D) Ride and Enjoy, personally looking at the new G.T Twin to sit alongside my C5
2020 RE 650 GT (Mr Clean)
2014 C5
56 MGA
58 Healey 3000 (Resto in Progress)
2001 MX5 
2015 Mitsubishi Ute
2021 Camry Hybrid
Tipo 184 Kit ordered & awaiting delivery for build👍

9fingers

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #20 on: October 20, 2018, 03:39:35 am
"personally looking at the new G.T Twin to sit alongside my C5"

Me too, think I want a white one. My wife is gonna want to kill me............
9fingers
Currently own:

Beta Rev 3 270
Honda TLR200 custom
Honda TL 125
Yamaha TY350

wildbill

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #21 on: October 20, 2018, 05:54:27 am
with a bit of luck I might be able to tell you if they are any good..that is the 650 interceptor of coarse ;) I am ready to buy as soon as they hit the shops

9fingers

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #22 on: October 20, 2018, 01:24:59 pm
My shop is going to contact me when they hit, probably next month or December. If it is too cold I might wait till Spring for a test ride. Going to see them at the NY Motorcycle show as well. No doubt they look great. The Chrome GT might be a contender for me but I think the price is much higher for that model if what I read is correct. Not sure I will be comfortable with that forward lean of the GT. I have never ridden a bike like that. Heck, I have spent most of my life standing when I ride, with a very small seat!
9fingers
Currently own:

Beta Rev 3 270
Honda TLR200 custom
Honda TL 125
Yamaha TY350

Bert Remington

• Grease Monkey
Reply #23 on: October 20, 2018, 06:10:07 pm
If you're thinking RE's 650 I suggest you don't look at Moto Guzzi's new V9 Roamer in White.  Another modernized classic look selling for $6k in my neighborhood with one dealer offering $300 shipping anywhere in 48 states.  And MG has an extensive accessory suite.  PS classic I2s are kinda a glut on the market right now but MG's V2 is still unique.

wildbill

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #24 on: October 21, 2018, 12:47:34 am
and if you don't think bert's found you a good deal on the guzzi - don't look this way...lol
that same bike will cost you AU $14290 ride away or roughly USD$10,500
two please!

9fingers

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #25 on: October 21, 2018, 01:43:42 am
If you're thinking RE's 650 I suggest you don't look at Moto Guzzi's new V9 Roamer in White.  Another modernized classic look selling for $6k in my neighborhood with one dealer offering $300 shipping anywhere in 48 states.  And MG has an extensive accessory suite.  PS classic I2s are kinda a glut on the market right now but MG's V2 is still unique.

Bert, I like Guzzis and that is a pretty good looking bike, but it does not quite do it for me. Plus, in reality, it will probably be 2 or 3 years before I add another road bike to the stable. Need to sell 3 trials bikes first and get my daughter through college. Heck, her apartment alone is $1800 a month....for half an apartment in NYC!
Currently own:

Beta Rev 3 270
Honda TLR200 custom
Honda TL 125
Yamaha TY350

Bert Remington

• Grease Monkey
Reply #26 on: October 21, 2018, 02:42:55 am
Visited my local MG dealer about 3 miles away and they had a White 2017 V9 Roamer in the back room for $8,800 out the door.  It was too crowded to sit on but I did sit on its sibling V7 III Stone and like the RE C5 it was a perfect fit.  For an additional 20lbs I get 350cc more and a beautifully integrated and manufactured unique Italian classic (started in 1921, 20 years younger than RE).  Study the pictures -- ain't no dinguses like horns sticking out -- right?  I think RE's stylists are among the world's best but the Italians are better for integrating styling with engineering.

I still haven't shipped the 2010 C5 from NC so I'm texting the previous owner that first $1K takes it even if I get $50/month payments.  Its gotta go.  I'll also offer it on eBay although at $1,200 for fees.  I'm sending price-out-the-door requests to MG dealers in CA and NV.  If I sell the Integra in the next few weeks then my RE experience has come to an end.  If I don't then my RE experience sits in long-term storage boxes.

9fingers

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #27 on: October 21, 2018, 05:01:55 pm
This one floats my boat if the new 650, for some unexpected reason, does not pan out for me.

http://www.motoguzzi.com/en_EN/motorbikes/classic/V7-III/V7-III-Limited/
Currently own:

Beta Rev 3 270
Honda TLR200 custom
Honda TL 125
Yamaha TY350

Richard230

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #28 on: October 23, 2018, 10:36:51 pm
Speaking of electrics: I just received an email message from Fort Worth RE and they are promoting everyone's favorite OE REGT Bosh spark plugs that sell regularly for $12.95 but are on sale right now for only $7.00. Better stock up while you can.  ::)

https://store-ewh0ti.mybigcommerce.com/uce-spark-plug?mc_cid=c9f3512e75&mc_eid=e1e3d5397e
2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM Duke 390, 2002 Yamaha FZ1

9fingers

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #29 on: October 23, 2018, 11:56:33 pm
That is strange, mine came with a twin tip Bosch plug. What's up with that???
Currently own:

Beta Rev 3 270
Honda TLR200 custom
Honda TL 125
Yamaha TY350