Author Topic: Questions 500km service.  (Read 5197 times)

BigDon

• Grease Monkey
on: October 04, 2008, 07:05:12 pm
1 -  Primary chain play, in both manuals is 4 to 6mm (1/4"). I read this to mean "total play" NOT 1/4' up +1/4" down for a total of 1/2' play, correct?

2 -  On the oil filter between the cap nut and the oil filter cover was a "copper washer" , in the oil change kit was an "o - ring".  The o-ring seems too large, it squeezes out from beneath the cap nut using only enough tension to compress the oil filter spring.

I reused the "copper washer". ( Note: the copper washer for the drain plug was also a little oversized, the large o-ring for the cover itself seems fine. ) Did I order the wrong kit? On the order form it states "for Original Bullets made 11/98 & on". I own an '08 cast iron engined Classic.

3 - Can the small "copper washers" be had anywhere.?

Other than these minor items the 500 km service is progressing well !!!!!

BigDon
REA #73
08 RE Classic, the last of the Iron Barrel Bikes.(FireBall!)
05 Suzuki DRZ 400, for haulin' xxx in the woods!
09 BMW R1200GSA for a change of pace!
http://www.youtube.com/user/SlooDon#p/u

BigDon

• Grease Monkey
Reply #1 on: October 04, 2008, 07:19:13 pm
Kevin, do you want to chime in on this one? Please?
BigDon
REA #73

jdrouin

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #2 on: October 04, 2008, 10:27:16 pm
Don,

You should have a small rubber O ring that goes inside the spring (fits at the base) inside the oil filter cap. The copper washer goes between the nut and the cover.

I have a 2007 iron Classic and my dealer gave me an oil filter that came with a large O ring that fits between the edge of the cap and the engine. I had problems retaining oil, and when I called my dealer he had me check the cap for a groove. It had a flat edge, which means it's supposed to take a paper washer, not an O ring, so I got one from a friend in the neighborhood.

Apparently the paper washer was for older models but for some reason mine has it. When I called CMW to order the five filter package, they had to send me one that fits all models. It came with large O rings and paper washers. I told the guy on the phone that my friend's 2006 Sixty-5 has the same setup.

If you need a paper washer quickly, I can mail you one.

Hope this helps.

Jeff
« Last Edit: October 04, 2008, 10:30:14 pm by jdrouin »

BigDon

• Grease Monkey
Reply #3 on: October 04, 2008, 11:23:47 pm
Thank you for your offer!!!

I got it to seal by assembling in this order, filter, spring cup, felt washer, metal washer, spring, large o-ring, cover, copper washer, cap nut.

So I seem to be OK till the next change.

As a few of you stated it was messy first time thru but I learned alot by doing it and will be more prepared next time.

Off to put on a few more miles before dark! Whoo hoo! Can run her up to 70 kph this next 500 kms. :)

Thanks all of you who have posted your experiences i took a little from each!!!!
BigDon
REA #73

Huffer

• Vespas fear me
  • Scooter
  • I brake for . . . long distances
Reply #4 on: October 05, 2008, 07:18:37 am
The copper crush washers are available at any Ace hardware store.
2008 Royal Enfield Bullet 500 Deluxe--last of the iron-barrel Bullets.
2008 Triumph Bonneville T100--last of the carburetted Bonnies.
1974 Norton Commando Roadster--last of the "proper" right side shift Commandos.

jdrouin

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: October 05, 2008, 03:54:45 pm
Just keep an eye on that filter and the bolts on the underside. Everything looked fine after the job was done. But then I went for a 25 mile ride and found on return that my oil level was way below the low mark on the dipstick. Not a good feeling!

Turns out it was leaking from the filter cap nut and the edges of the filter for reasons that I've already described. If I could do it over I would have driven for a couple miles and then checked underneath and all around again.

Jeff

birdmove

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #6 on: October 05, 2008, 06:40:15 pm
    Yep, the Bullet likes to leak oil for sure. I had a bit of a leak at the oil filter cap, and when I recently changed trans oil, I had a bit of a leak at the oil level plug of all places. I've done many many oil and filter changes on many bikes over the years, and a leak has been a real rarity-until the Bullet.

Jon
Jon in Keaau, Hawaii

Foggy_Auggie

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #7 on: October 05, 2008, 09:12:11 pm
Just like on my primary cover "O" ring, I put wheel bearing grease on the oil filter cap gasket.  My '06 uses the flat gasket on the oil filter cap.  No leaks.
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe.

Fortiter Et Fideliter

BigDon

• Grease Monkey
Reply #8 on: October 06, 2008, 02:19:25 am
Don,

You should have a small rubber O ring that goes inside the spring (fits at the base) inside the oil filter cap. The copper washer goes between the nut and the cover.

Hope this helps.

Jeff

I finally realized what you were trying to tell me! Sometimes I can be rather dense. The small o-ring goes on the stud "before" cover goes on, correct?
BigDon
REA #73

jdrouin

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #9 on: October 06, 2008, 03:44:27 pm
Yes, the small O ring fits around the stud, inside the cap. I put the small O ring inside the spring and let it fall down to the base, where the stud passes through the hole (gee, that sounds dirty). Then I put the cap on.

When I pulled the cap once, the O ring was on the stud, so I decided to put it back down at the base of the spring just to make sure it was sealing the area by the hole.

Jeff

erob123

• Bulleteer
Reply #10 on: October 06, 2008, 10:13:46 pm
I've got a 08 Military Ironhead with 1800 miles,  I've done 3 oil changes with no leaks.  I had the same trouble understanding where o-rings went on 1st change.  But slid the large one in the counterbore on engine to where it would seal with end of cap. I couldn't get small one to go inside cap, too large.  So I slid it over shaft before placing cap on.  Seems to work for me.
Eric

baird4444

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2003 ES 500... 38,416 miles, I'm done
Reply #11 on: October 07, 2008, 04:28:09 am
They may have changed things(I doubt it) but I can tell you where that little o-ring goes on my 2003. If you look at the hole in the cap where the stud goes thru, there is a recess that the o-ring rests in to seal around the stud. You can get the old one out with a wire or pick. the new one may be a little harder to get in. If it don't leak; don't change it....    - Mike

'My dear you are ugly,
 but tomorrow I shall be sober and you will still be ugly'
 - Winston Churchill

Merrill

• Bulleteer
Reply #12 on: October 07, 2008, 06:01:17 am
Want a better cap nut for the oil filter disc?
/
after purchasing that copper wide flange washer
from Ace Hardware,
/
get a valve cover nut from the ubiquitous Toyota 20R or
21R motor. These have a wider flange which
will increase the sealing surface while extending
the pressure from the nut farther toward the perimeter
of the cover disc,
« Last Edit: October 07, 2008, 06:04:23 am by Merrill »

LJRead

Reply #13 on: October 07, 2008, 06:57:21 am
The primary chain should hang down about a quarter inch - Pull it down using light pressure, a quarter inch is about right, push it up and it will go a total of about a half inch.

I have a straight rod I rest on top of the two primary sprockets so I can judge exactly the quarter inch of downward play.

See you are getting into the new bike - good luck with it.

LJ

cs1976

• Scooter
Reply #14 on: October 07, 2008, 03:00:17 pm
LOL it's funny that Bird said that the bullet likes to leak, the other day one of my older biker friends said to me, " Back in the day, we used to call them bikes oilfields cause they leaked so much." He then followed up with , " So did everything else back then."  I thought you guys might get a kick out of that.
-Chad-

birdmove

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #15 on: October 07, 2008, 04:12:22 pm
    Yeah. I heard they used to call them Royal Oilfields.

jon
Jon in Keaau, Hawaii

jdrouin

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #16 on: October 07, 2008, 09:44:53 pm
I'm at 600 miles now and did another oil change today. Swapped out all the washers and gaskets and so far it's oil tight.  ;)

I wanted to change the gear and clutch oil, since I forgot to do those at 300 miles, but couldn't get the gearbox drain bolt off. The only wrench which came with the bike that nominally fits it is too big, and with the brake pedal in the way I can't get at it with a ratchet. So I'm off to the hardware store for a more precise set of wrenches.

I do find it odd that a bike with metric bolts would come with English measured wrenches.

Jeff

The Garbone

• Shade Tree
  • Grand Gearhead
  • User Complaints: 22
Reply #17 on: October 08, 2008, 12:56:09 am
I'm at 600 miles now and did another oil change today. Swapped out all the washers and gaskets and so far it's oil tight.  ;)

I wanted to change the gear and clutch oil, since I forgot to do those at 300 miles, but couldn't get the gearbox drain bolt off. The only wrench which came with the bike that nominally fits it is too big, and with the brake pedal in the way I can't get at it with a ratchet. So I'm off to the hardware store for a more precise set of wrenches.

I do find it odd that a bike with metric bolts would come with English measured wrenches.

Jeff

I used a 4" extension on my socket and had no trouble getting at the drain bolt even with the brake in place.  Was a bit tight but fit nicely. 

One of the things I love about my Enfield is it gives me a ready reason to add to my tool collection.
Gary
57' RE Crusader 250
67' Ford Mustang
74' Catalina 27 "Knot a Clew"
95 RE Ace Clubman 535
01 HD 1200 Custom
07 RE 5spd HaCK

* all actions described in this post are fictional *