Author Topic: Questions 500km service.  (Read 5195 times)

BigDon

• Grease Monkey
on: October 04, 2008, 07:05:12 pm
1 -  Primary chain play, in both manuals is 4 to 6mm (1/4"). I read this to mean "total play" NOT 1/4' up +1/4" down for a total of 1/2' play, correct?

2 -  On the oil filter between the cap nut and the oil filter cover was a "copper washer" , in the oil change kit was an "o - ring".  The o-ring seems too large, it squeezes out from beneath the cap nut using only enough tension to compress the oil filter spring.

I reused the "copper washer". ( Note: the copper washer for the drain plug was also a little oversized, the large o-ring for the cover itself seems fine. ) Did I order the wrong kit? On the order form it states "for Original Bullets made 11/98 & on". I own an '08 cast iron engined Classic.

3 - Can the small "copper washers" be had anywhere.?

Other than these minor items the 500 km service is progressing well !!!!!

BigDon
REA #73
08 RE Classic, the last of the Iron Barrel Bikes.(FireBall!)
05 Suzuki DRZ 400, for haulin' xxx in the woods!
09 BMW R1200GSA for a change of pace!
http://www.youtube.com/user/SlooDon#p/u

BigDon

• Grease Monkey
Reply #1 on: October 04, 2008, 07:19:13 pm
Kevin, do you want to chime in on this one? Please?
BigDon
REA #73

jdrouin

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #2 on: October 04, 2008, 10:27:16 pm
Don,

You should have a small rubber O ring that goes inside the spring (fits at the base) inside the oil filter cap. The copper washer goes between the nut and the cover.

I have a 2007 iron Classic and my dealer gave me an oil filter that came with a large O ring that fits between the edge of the cap and the engine. I had problems retaining oil, and when I called my dealer he had me check the cap for a groove. It had a flat edge, which means it's supposed to take a paper washer, not an O ring, so I got one from a friend in the neighborhood.

Apparently the paper washer was for older models but for some reason mine has it. When I called CMW to order the five filter package, they had to send me one that fits all models. It came with large O rings and paper washers. I told the guy on the phone that my friend's 2006 Sixty-5 has the same setup.

If you need a paper washer quickly, I can mail you one.

Hope this helps.

Jeff
« Last Edit: October 04, 2008, 10:30:14 pm by jdrouin »

BigDon

• Grease Monkey
Reply #3 on: October 04, 2008, 11:23:47 pm
Thank you for your offer!!!

I got it to seal by assembling in this order, filter, spring cup, felt washer, metal washer, spring, large o-ring, cover, copper washer, cap nut.

So I seem to be OK till the next change.

As a few of you stated it was messy first time thru but I learned alot by doing it and will be more prepared next time.

Off to put on a few more miles before dark! Whoo hoo! Can run her up to 70 kph this next 500 kms. :)

Thanks all of you who have posted your experiences i took a little from each!!!!
BigDon
REA #73

Huffer

• Vespas fear me
  • Scooter
  • I brake for . . . long distances
Reply #4 on: October 05, 2008, 07:18:37 am
The copper crush washers are available at any Ace hardware store.
2008 Royal Enfield Bullet 500 Deluxe--last of the iron-barrel Bullets.
2008 Triumph Bonneville T100--last of the carburetted Bonnies.
1974 Norton Commando Roadster--last of the "proper" right side shift Commandos.

jdrouin

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: October 05, 2008, 03:54:45 pm
Just keep an eye on that filter and the bolts on the underside. Everything looked fine after the job was done. But then I went for a 25 mile ride and found on return that my oil level was way below the low mark on the dipstick. Not a good feeling!

Turns out it was leaking from the filter cap nut and the edges of the filter for reasons that I've already described. If I could do it over I would have driven for a couple miles and then checked underneath and all around again.

Jeff

birdmove

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #6 on: October 05, 2008, 06:40:15 pm
    Yep, the Bullet likes to leak oil for sure. I had a bit of a leak at the oil filter cap, and when I recently changed trans oil, I had a bit of a leak at the oil level plug of all places. I've done many many oil and filter changes on many bikes over the years, and a leak has been a real rarity-until the Bullet.

Jon
Jon in Keaau, Hawaii

Foggy_Auggie

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #7 on: October 05, 2008, 09:12:11 pm
Just like on my primary cover "O" ring, I put wheel bearing grease on the oil filter cap gasket.  My '06 uses the flat gasket on the oil filter cap.  No leaks.
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe.

Fortiter Et Fideliter

BigDon

• Grease Monkey
Reply #8 on: October 06, 2008, 02:19:25 am
Don,

You should have a small rubber O ring that goes inside the spring (fits at the base) inside the oil filter cap. The copper washer goes between the nut and the cover.

Hope this helps.

Jeff

I finally realized what you were trying to tell me! Sometimes I can be rather dense. The small o-ring goes on the stud "before" cover goes on, correct?
BigDon
REA #73

jdrouin

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #9 on: October 06, 2008, 03:44:27 pm
Yes, the small O ring fits around the stud, inside the cap. I put the small O ring inside the spring and let it fall down to the base, where the stud passes through the hole (gee, that sounds dirty). Then I put the cap on.

When I pulled the cap once, the O ring was on the stud, so I decided to put it back down at the base of the spring just to make sure it was sealing the area by the hole.

Jeff

erob123

• Bulleteer
Reply #10 on: October 06, 2008, 10:13:46 pm
I've got a 08 Military Ironhead with 1800 miles,  I've done 3 oil changes with no leaks.  I had the same trouble understanding where o-rings went on 1st change.  But slid the large one in the counterbore on engine to where it would seal with end of cap. I couldn't get small one to go inside cap, too large.  So I slid it over shaft before placing cap on.  Seems to work for me.
Eric

baird4444

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2003 ES 500... 38,416 miles, I'm done
Reply #11 on: October 07, 2008, 04:28:09 am
They may have changed things(I doubt it) but I can tell you where that little o-ring goes on my 2003. If you look at the hole in the cap where the stud goes thru, there is a recess that the o-ring rests in to seal around the stud. You can get the old one out with a wire or pick. the new one may be a little harder to get in. If it don't leak; don't change it....    - Mike

'My dear you are ugly,
 but tomorrow I shall be sober and you will still be ugly'
 - Winston Churchill

Merrill

• Bulleteer
Reply #12 on: October 07, 2008, 06:01:17 am
Want a better cap nut for the oil filter disc?
/
after purchasing that copper wide flange washer
from Ace Hardware,
/
get a valve cover nut from the ubiquitous Toyota 20R or
21R motor. These have a wider flange which
will increase the sealing surface while extending
the pressure from the nut farther toward the perimeter
of the cover disc,
« Last Edit: October 07, 2008, 06:04:23 am by Merrill »

LJRead

Reply #13 on: October 07, 2008, 06:57:21 am
The primary chain should hang down about a quarter inch - Pull it down using light pressure, a quarter inch is about right, push it up and it will go a total of about a half inch.

I have a straight rod I rest on top of the two primary sprockets so I can judge exactly the quarter inch of downward play.

See you are getting into the new bike - good luck with it.

LJ

cs1976

• Scooter
Reply #14 on: October 07, 2008, 03:00:17 pm
LOL it's funny that Bird said that the bullet likes to leak, the other day one of my older biker friends said to me, " Back in the day, we used to call them bikes oilfields cause they leaked so much." He then followed up with , " So did everything else back then."  I thought you guys might get a kick out of that.
-Chad-