Author Topic: Seeing America on 2 wheels  (Read 1659 times)

hpwaco

• Grand Gearhead
on: October 11, 2018, 03:40:27 am
Nice op ed  with that headline in the local paper the other day written by Mitch Daniels  ( former governor of Indiana ) of Washington Post.   He says lots of good things about motorcycling.  Also mentioned contemplating ending his riding career after 50+ years.  Something I've also been considering after 60+ years

Bilgemaster

• Just some guy
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • 2005 Bullet 500ES in "Mean Green" Military Trim
Reply #1 on: October 11, 2018, 07:49:27 am
Nice op ed  with that headline in the local paper the other day written by Mitch Daniels  ( former governor of Indiana ) of Washington Post.   He says lots of good things about motorcycling.  Also mentioned contemplating ending his riding career after 50+ years.  Something I've also been considering after 60+ years

Here's a direct link to the article thanks to the Waco Tribune.

As for hanging up your own spurs for good, one of these slick honduros might put that off a decade or three:

Or, you can just retrofit Olde Reliable...

So badass my Enfield's actually illegal  in India. Yet it squeaks by here in Virginia.

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
  • Everybody's havin' them dreams
Reply #2 on: October 11, 2018, 06:12:48 pm
Also mentioned contemplating ending his riding career after 50+ years.  Something I've also been considering after 60+ years

I've considered that also, for a few minutes at a time, at 80.

It's funny, in 1998 I actually sold a bike I built myself and had been riding since 1983 because of pain and discomfort. As soon as it went away in the U-Haul truck I rode it up into to Council Bluffs Iowa I knew it was a mistake and immediately started putting together parts, found a frame and cases that matched, 3 basket case engines and built another one that I rode until 2016 when I gave it to my oldest best friend who sort of helped me build it (not much :) ). Letting go of a bike you built yourself is like selling a dog you've had since it was a puppy. And I'm still riding the Enfield through the pain like I've always done.

It is NOT easy to kick this motorcycle thing. The high I get the first 10 minutes of a ride is worth the pain I have during and after (worse than during).
« Last Edit: October 11, 2018, 06:16:33 pm by tooseevee »
RI USA '08 Black AVL Classic.9.8:1 ACEhead/manifold/canister. TM32/Open bottle/hot tube removed. Pertronix Coil. Fed mandates removed. Gr.TCI. Bobber seat. Battery in right side case. Decomp&all doodads removed. '30s Lucas taillight/7" visored headlight. Much blackout & wire/electrical upgrades.

Stanley

• Grease Monkey
Reply #3 on: October 12, 2018, 06:31:50 pm
I've got some age-related ailments so I sold my top-heavy BMW K75s and got a lighter more easily handled Suzuki SV650.
I often wonder why ambulatory older folks trade in their big heavy bikes for even bigger heavier trikes.
If I have to lift, push, park the damn thing I don't want it over 600 pounds.
Lurker on a Vespa