Author Topic: Laid bike down. How do I check it for bends or misalignments?  (Read 3063 times)

Devante

• Scooter
  • Crescent fresh at best!
My bike is a 2016 Royal Enfield - Continental GT.

Yesterday I was doing a left turn around 20mph and I made some mistakes. Didn't lean enough, looked where I DIDN'T want to go, braked.

Anyway so I laid it down. Somehow only managed to damage the heat shield. No scrapes anywhere else at first glance. When I went to ride it home later I notice it feels kinda weird. Right turns are fine but left turns feel I don't know... slippy? Like the bike wants to fishtail? So I took it slow.

Then I checked out the bike some more and saw that the exhaust and pressed into the swingarm on that side and dented in the metal on the swingarm arm. By eyeballing the arm, it doesn't seem like it moved the whole thing.

How do I check that everything is OK? Like that the wheel is aligned, the swingarm didn't move, or anything else you can think to check?

https://imgur.com/pa9wq7l

https://imgur.com/ciGdy4B

from below

https://imgur.com/Ldgm5mr

for reference, here's a better view of a non-damaged one

https://www.motomax.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2016/11/14590347_996702913771509_7119847109840273387_n-768x577.jpg
.x[ Devante ]x.

Royal Enfield - Continental GT - 2016 - Black

gizzo

• Grand Gearhead
  • purple people
Reply #1 on: October 05, 2018, 11:28:15 pm
Hopefully it's just the muffler was snagging the swing arm and once you've bent it back clear it will be OK.
Checking for straightness, you could start by measuring from various points to other points on the each side and comparing the difference. Putting the bike on the centre stand and plotting points on a dead level floor with a plumb bob is a good place to start.
Check the forks haven't moved in the triple clamps. You can loosen the top triple and clip-on screws and the big chrome nut to fix that.
Good luck. No damage to yourself and feeling OK?
simon from south Australia
Continental GT
Pantah
DR250
DRZ400SM
C90
GSX250E

Devante

• Scooter
Reply #2 on: October 05, 2018, 11:58:06 pm
Hopefully it's just the muffler was snagging the swing arm and once you've bent it back clear it will be OK.
Checking for straightness, you could start by measuring from various points to other points on the each side and comparing the difference. Putting the bike on the centre stand and plotting points on a dead level floor with a plumb bob is a good place to start.
Check the forks haven't moved in the triple clamps. You can loosen the top triple and clip-on screws and the big chrome nut to fix that.
Good luck. No damage to yourself and feeling OK?

Thanks for the reply!

The exhaust was back in its normal position when I picked it up. It was really snagged on the swingarm.

It's like when it fell, it pressed into the swingarm and that left a dent in the swingarm itself. Now that the bike is upright, the exhaust is in its default position.

I'm OK. I slammed my chest kinda hard into the tank and now that side of my chest and back are pretty sore. Trouble breathing last night but I can breath almost 100% today. Definitely sore though.

I didn't think to check the front forks. I'll check them out.  Thanks again!
.x[ Devante ]x.

gizzo

• Grand Gearhead
  • purple people
Reply #3 on: October 06, 2018, 05:23:11 am
Good luck. Hope it's an easy fix. Don't forget if you need to compare notes, we can take measurements from our own bikes.
Here's a vid to get you started
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vSunBRB6-r8
Continental GT
Pantah
DR250
DRZ400SM
C90
GSX250E

Devante

• Scooter
Reply #4 on: October 10, 2018, 06:43:52 pm
Good luck. Hope it's an easy fix. Don't forget if you need to compare notes, we can take measurements from our own bikes.
Here's a vid to get you started
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vSunBRB6-r8

Thanks for the info and help.

I did the string method, plus took a view measurements from the axle bolt to various places on the bike.

It actually seems like the front is slightly misaligned, the difference of the string on the two sides was a little less than an inch.

The back measured exactly the same when using the axle and various spots on the bike.

I took it in to a shop here so they could check it as well.

I did notice another dent in the swingarm. I guess there are TWO bolts on the backside of the exhaust that pushed in.

I supposed I should get another swing arm since the structural integrity has been compromised.

Any recommendations on where to get them?

Think it's safe to ride around town for now?
.x[ Devante ]x.

gizzo

• Grand Gearhead
  • purple people
Reply #5 on: October 10, 2018, 11:50:45 pm
Yeah it'll be fine if it's just couple of little dents. It's only mild steel. Did you loosen the triple clamp bolts and tweak the front end yet? It's a normal post crash procedure, no big deal.
Continental GT
Pantah
DR250
DRZ400SM
C90
GSX250E

Devante

• Scooter
Reply #6 on: October 11, 2018, 12:32:33 am
Yeah it'll be fine if it's just couple of little dents. It's only mild steel. Did you loosen the triple clamp bolts and tweak the front end yet? It's a normal post crash procedure, no big deal.

Oh I forgot all about the triple clamp thing. I'll get on that and update. THanks!

Hate to ask but you wrote losen the top triple and clip-on screws and the big chrome nut to fix that. What am I looking to do exactly? A fork alignment? I'll YouTube some fork alignment videos if so.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2018, 12:35:38 am by Devante »
.x[ Devante ]x.

hpwaco

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #7 on: October 11, 2018, 03:11:04 am
You should probably also loosen the rather robust fork brace/fender mount in addition to the fork tube clamping bolts in the upper and lower triple clamps..  But don't loosen the big chome center nut.  Then find a  suitable post or tree to "bump" the front wheel against until things are straight.  Then tighten everything up.

Devante

• Scooter
Reply #8 on: October 23, 2018, 06:27:07 pm
Thanks for the replies everyone.

Took it to a guy I know who has a bike shop, he looked at it and said all that happened was that the back wheel/axle got out of alignment so he got that straightened and now it rides perfect again.

I did end up buying a new swing arm from eBay.
Sold as new and complete kit.

I got it and I don't know what they meant by kit. All it came with was the swing arm.

Anyway, I'll put this one on eventually just because I don't want to have to worry about that metal buckling under me at 60 MPH!

.x[ Devante ]x.