Author Topic: Thieves  (Read 12561 times)

rtillery02

• R.Tillery
  • Grease Monkey
  • 2012 C5 Bullet Classic / 2002 Iron Barrel
Reply #30 on: November 17, 2018, 04:21:38 pm
Hands off would certainly fix the problem,  but severing just the THUMBS would probably be easier & quicker...I should see my therapist soon >:( ;D
Some Folks Grow Old & Wise, &
Some Folks Just Grow Old.

9fingers

• Grand Gearhead
  • From the New Hampshire part of New Jersey
Reply #31 on: November 17, 2018, 05:55:21 pm
Hands off would certainly fix the problem,  but severing just the THUMBS would probably be easier & quicker...I should see my therapist soon >:( ;D

Hey, hey! Watch the severed thumb comments..........why do you think my name is 9fingers?
8fingersandathumb
Currently own:

2016 Classic Chrome Maroon
2020 Moto Guzzi V7III Special
V Strom 650 ABS Adventure
Beta Rev 3 270
Honda TLR200 custom
Honda TL 250 TMI custom frame
Honda TL 125
Yamaha TY350

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #32 on: November 17, 2018, 11:14:32 pm
....why do you think my name is 9fingers?

Because "8fingersandathumb" takes too long to type?

9fingers

• Grand Gearhead
  • From the New Hampshire part of New Jersey
Reply #33 on: November 18, 2018, 02:55:09 am
Because "8fingersandathumb" takes too long to type?

That's it! And it is not quite as catchy.........
Currently own:

2016 Classic Chrome Maroon
2020 Moto Guzzi V7III Special
V Strom 650 ABS Adventure
Beta Rev 3 270
Honda TLR200 custom
Honda TL 250 TMI custom frame
Honda TL 125
Yamaha TY350

addict1

• Scooter
Reply #34 on: November 18, 2018, 03:38:00 am
Damn! Sorry to hear about your gear loss mate! I think with all the freedoms bikes offer us, it does leave us vulnerable at the same time.
I use my bike almost exclusively for touring which is I why I ended up going to all the trouble of building a set of secure, lockable panniers. Now, when I stop somewhere to explore, I can drop my cam and navigator in one for [relative] peace of mind.
One thing I won't do is carry my firearm, makes would be villains nervous and do silly things things like shoot you (at least where I come from). I carry a neat, powerful pepper spray close to me which can (and has) been useful.

Regarding cameras, have you tried a helmet mount? I find it much more stable and I never leave my helmet on the bike.
Viewing the world, one thump at a time...

GlennF

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #35 on: November 19, 2018, 03:22:24 am
I had a draftsman coworker years ago who lived in San Francisco. He always garaged his bicycle but one day someone took an axe and chopped down his garage door to steal it.  :o  A while later he purchased my 1983 Kawasaki GPz305 and parked it in the street in front of his home in the hope that if it was stolen at least he wouldn't have to replace his garage door. Unfortunately, he got his wish and the motorcycle was stolen a couple of weeks later.  >:( After that he moved out of town to Sacramento to open an acupuncture business.  ???

I had a friend that chained his bike to a very large set of cast/wrought iron gates in an inner city park in Sydney only to come back to find both gates and bike gone.  He got a lot of ribbing from friends and coworker about how his bike was barely worth stealing and the thieves were probably after the gate.

Bmadd34

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #36 on: November 19, 2018, 10:19:35 am
Damn! Sorry to hear about your gear loss mate! I think with all the freedoms bikes offer us, it does leave us vulnerable at the same time.
I use my bike almost exclusively for touring which is I why I ended up going to all the trouble of building a set of secure, lockable panniers. Now, when I stop somewhere to explore, I can drop my cam and navigator in one for [relative] peace of mind.
One thing I won't do is carry my firearm, makes would be villains nervous and do silly things things like shoot you (at least where I come from). I carry a neat, powerful pepper spray close to me which can (and has) been useful.

Regarding cameras, have you tried a helmet mount? I find it much more stable and I never leave my helmet on the bike.

I never really trusted those sticky 3M camera mounts.
When Life hands you lemons, Squeeze them in his eyes and take his wallet.

Bilgemaster

• Just some guy
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • 2005 Bullet 500ES in "Mean Green" Military Trim
Reply #37 on: November 19, 2018, 05:00:24 pm
I never really trusted those sticky 3M camera mounts.

Yup! That's why I attach a little lanyard from the camera around my half-helm's chinstrap. Unfortunately, there's no external mike option on my 1st generation Ion AirPro, so every ride video seems to have the same soundtrack as John Glenn reentering the atmosphere in 'The Right Stuff'. I've tried a couple of roughshod wind noise reduction  remedies, but it seems there's nothing for it but to train a big hairy hamster to hug the end of the camera for dear life to fur up that mike hole. Having a problem finding a suitable helmet for him though, and the droppings are staining my Belstaff's right shoulder. For what it's worth (and that ain't much), you can see my tests so far at https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCL1sEUVEcQTVDkr_zw4zqNg.  Of these, this one's probably the most viewable.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2018, 05:24:24 pm by Bilgemaster »
So badass my Enfield's actually illegal  in India. Yet it squeaks by here in Virginia.

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
  • Everybody's havin' them dreams
Reply #38 on: November 19, 2018, 07:34:29 pm
For what it's worth (and that ain't much), you can see my tests so far at https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCL1sEUVEcQTVDkr_zw4zqNg.  Of these, this one's probably the most viewable.

Three good, long videos. Must have taken days for them to upload. It's a nice little camera, but as you say, sound sux.
RI USA '08 Black AVL Classic.9.8:1 ACEhead/manifold/canister. TM32/Open bottle/hot tube removed. Pertronix Coil. Fed mandates removed. Gr.TCI. Bobber seat. Battery in right side case. Decomp&all doodads removed. '30s Lucas taillight/7" visored headlight. Much blackout & wire/electrical upgrades.

mike_bike_kite

• Bulleteer
Reply #39 on: November 20, 2018, 10:44:16 pm
Here in London (UK) I swapped from riding my Vespa to the Enfield because the thieves had taken to stealing Vespas all the time. It got so bad that you could get surrounded at the traffic lights by armed youths on stolen scoots demanding your scoot. I figured that they'd never get the hang of riding an Enfield so swapped to that. So far so lucky ...
2018 C5 Pegasus + NC750X + Vespa GT + Vespa GTS

Bilgemaster

• Just some guy
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #40 on: November 26, 2018, 11:40:54 pm
           Three good, long videos. Must have taken days for them to upload. It's a nice little camera, but as you say, sound sux.

Thanx! Actually those videos uploaded fairly quickly while I was doing other things--taking just a couple-few minutes at most direct from the camera via an older-style USB port on an elderly 12 year old Alienware laptop. Absolutely no complaints there. Though I am still having a challenge getting the hamster aroused enough to really "engage" with the camera's external mike. And when it does go well all that muffled squeaking doesn't mean something needs a good oiling...

Installation of Noise Reduction System
Part One: Finding the Right Fragrance
« Last Edit: November 27, 2018, 01:39:46 pm by Bilgemaster »
So badass my Enfield's actually illegal  in India. Yet it squeaks by here in Virginia.

Narada

• Grand Gearhead
  • Riding the Madrass Missile!
Reply #41 on: December 11, 2018, 06:13:51 pm
Realize your Self on a Royal Enfield.

2015 Classic Chrome/Maroon; "Bholenath", Ported head by GHG, AVL Pistons, Hitchcocks H.P. Cams, PC-V, A/T,  Kenda-761's, Koso TNT, Premium EFI Silencer.

2015 Triumph T-100 Orange/Black, TTP Stage-2 induction
2012 Triumph Scrambler / Dauntless M-72D Sidecar.

Bilgemaster

• Just some guy
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #42 on: December 31, 2018, 03:13:36 pm
Caught this image of one of London Police's new Ramming Squad vehicles on another website. Is it real? Maybe not. But it should  be:

"Ramming Speeeeed!"

Keef Sparrow

• Grease Monkey
Reply #43 on: September 02, 2020, 10:23:21 pm
My last bike (Triumph 955i Daytona) was stolen and I thought my biking days were over as it seemed likely if I got another bike that would get stolen too. Then I figured - maybe if if got something so slow (and low perceived value) that no thieving toerag would be interested.... So now I have a Bullet. A dealer told me not many REs get stolen. So far so good....

Here in London (UK) I swapped from riding my Vespa to the Enfield because the thieves had taken to stealing Vespas all the time. It got so bad that you could get surrounded at the traffic lights by armed youths on stolen scoots demanding your scoot. I figured that they'd never get the hang of riding an Enfield so swapped to that. So far so lucky ...
Past: CB125-T2, T500, GT500, Speed Triple, 955i Daytona. Now: Royal Enfield Bullet Trials 500

GlennF

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #44 on: September 03, 2020, 12:29:08 am
Probably not a lot of demand for a stolen Bullet nor is it really joy ride material. The 650 interceptor however may be a different matter.