Author Topic: Thieves  (Read 12855 times)

Bmadd34

• Grand Gearhead
on: October 09, 2018, 03:20:39 am
Well, I was recording some riding footage with the GoPro on the handle bar mount. I stopped by the grocers for a few items. When I came out, GoPro was gone. All within a couple minutes!! If there's one thing I hate, it's a thief.
I don't know what I'm gonna do about the ride to Motorcycles of Dulles in Dulles Virginia at the end of the month. There's no way I can save up by then. Any suggestions?
When Life hands you lemons, Squeeze them in his eyes and take his wallet.

wildbill

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: October 09, 2018, 03:32:15 am
yep! nothing worse than a thief. when caught if they cut the hands off all thieves it would make it more difficult for them to steal again...LOL after-all pretty hard to hop down the road and holding the items with the other foot!
now back to your predicament. why not buy a cheap gitup get2 camera used or second hand from ebay for a fraction of the gopro price and it will do the job just as well. in fact all my yotube videos are on that camera. probably cost you about $130

Bmadd34

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #2 on: October 09, 2018, 03:56:35 am
I'll guess start saving. I've been working on a shoe string budget with a sprinkle of luck as it is.

Richard230

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: October 09, 2018, 01:59:25 pm
I bet used GoPros are pretty cheap.  ;)
2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM Duke 390, 2002 Yamaha FZ1

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #4 on: October 09, 2018, 04:09:56 pm
Sorry to hear.

Last December I came out of the house and my red 2014 Continental GT 535 was gone. Never got it back.
 :(
Home of the Fireball 535 !

heloego

• A 2x4. My kingdom for a 2x4!
  • Grand Gearhead
  • USA '12 C5, '06 ElectraX
Reply #5 on: October 09, 2018, 06:17:08 pm
I'm all for cutting off the hands.
So flame me. >:(
'18 Bonneville T-100, Blue/White
'12 C5 Classic
'06 Electra X AVL w/32mm Mikuni and Gold Star system.

Bert Remington

• Grease Monkey
Reply #6 on: October 09, 2018, 06:39:56 pm
Since its looking like my RE won't be back on the road until next summer, would you like to borrow my Garmin VIRB Elite for your trip?  I chose the Garmin over the GoPro because it has GPS, accelerometer and altimeter that I wanted for track, etc performance data.  The data track is recorded in parallel with the MP4 track.  Garmin provides a free editing program for Windows that combines both tracks to provide an instrumented "dashboard" overlaid on the video.  Very cool.  Works great for road courses, Bonneville, etc.  Not so good for dragstrips -- 6 seconds go by too quick. :)  BTW that's 1/8 not 1/4 mile track -- my friends ain't all that rich either.

I'll include the parts to mount it on the RE, a 64GB microSD, two batteries, 110V and 12V chargers, and cables.  The mount is a snap-in and the camera fits easily into a jacket pocket when its not on the mount.

BTW the GBs go by really quickly so make sure your laptop has plenty of storage -- at least 256GB free if you're going to be on the road for several days.

PS I'm with ace.cafe.  I had a 2001 Integra Type R for three weeks before it was stolen 30 feet from my front door.  I'm pretty sure it was towed and is now south of the border so I ain't ever gonna see it again.
2016 RE Classic 500 CA version Fair-Weather Mountain Bike
2014 Can-Am Spyder RT-S SE6 Freeway Commuter Pod

Bmadd34

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #7 on: October 09, 2018, 07:18:43 pm
Since its looking like my RE won't be back on the road until next summer, would you like to borrow my Garmin VIRB Elite for your trip?

Bert, I really do appreciate the offer but if something were to happen to it (fall off, God forbid an accident, lost, stolen, just stop working while in my possession, etc.) I would feel horrible for one and more importantly
 I wouldn't be able to pay you for it. I've always been the nice guy. Trusting of people, give the shirt off my back to help someone else my whole life. More often than not it has come back to bite me in the rump. I appreciate the
offer, but I think I'll sell some things and get another camera. Already sold my fiddle this morning to the pawn shop, and I have a few more things around here.

Carlsberg Wordsworth

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #8 on: October 09, 2018, 08:45:19 pm
Feel sorry for you Bmadd34.

I had my bicycle nicked from outside the local shop whilst I popped inside. I didn't lock it so partly to blame. Think I 'might' have saw it once a couple of years later but no proof.

I'd probably have sold it when there were plenty about but I had a TZR125 that also went some years earlier. Would be worth a smal fortune now. That wasn't locked either. You can't trust a quiet neighbourhood I guess. As you can see, there seems to be a pattern here do i always lock the Enfield with at least something in the hope to at least slow a thief down.   

Those githubs seem to get some good reviews and appear fairly cheap so you might not need to save long. Shame you had to pawn the fiddle too.

Richard230

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #9 on: October 09, 2018, 10:48:04 pm
I had a draftsman coworker years ago who lived in San Francisco. He always garaged his bicycle but one day someone took an axe and chopped down his garage door to steal it.  :o  A while later he purchased my 1983 Kawasaki GPz305 and parked it in the street in front of his home in the hope that if it was stolen at least he wouldn't have to replace his garage door. Unfortunately, he got his wish and the motorcycle was stolen a couple of weeks later.  >:( After that he moved out of town to Sacramento to open an acupuncture business.  ???
2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM Duke 390, 2002 Yamaha FZ1

wildbill

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #10 on: October 10, 2018, 12:26:34 am
yep! I like the cutting off the hands idea as it would serve two purposes.
1. it would stop them from stealing
2. long term it would improve their vision...LOL

Bmadd34

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #11 on: October 10, 2018, 06:23:36 pm
Okay, did some calling around and found a GoPro Hero 5 in a Pawn shop next town over. Traded my Martin for it and a decent Takamine so I wouldn't be without a guitar. I've never had anything handed to me in life.
I grew up literally DIRT poor in the mountains. Hell, we didn't get a refrigerator until I was around 10 yrs old or so and didn't live in a place with Air conditioning until I joined the ARMY. LOL, Basic Training was like a
Damn summer camp to me; regular meals, warm bed, heat and air, I was already used to hard work, being outside, and thanks to an extremely abusive upbringing, someone yelling at me was nothing, lol. I have literally
worked my body harder than I should have to scrimp and scratch my way to where I am today. College education (Thanks G.I. Bill), own my home and acreage, my kids have everything I didn't and no credit cards in my
wallet. So for some low life common piece of human excrement to steal what I sacrificed and saved to purchase just chaps my ass to no end. Probably some junky piece of trash that's gonna trade it for $20 worth of dope.
All I can say is he's lucky I didn't catch him taking it. Period. Well, I'll get off my soap box now, lol.

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #12 on: October 10, 2018, 10:51:09 pm
Okay, did some calling around and found a GoPro Hero 5 in a Pawn shop next town over.

You don't by any chance have a way of checking to see if that's your GoPro, do you?

Bmadd34

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #13 on: October 10, 2018, 11:48:12 pm
You don't by any chance have a way of checking to see if that's your GoPro, do you?

No, I checked the serial number.

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #14 on: October 11, 2018, 12:23:17 pm
Oh well... sorry that happened.

Years ago my car was broken into - the only thing in the car was an open box of old home-grown audio cassettes.  The thieve(s) grabbed it - why I'll never understand.  I don't know if they ever bothered to listen to them, but they were all folk music recordings, most of them not even English language songs, so I'm sure they were disappointed.  One of those tapes was a recording of a concert performance in which my wife and I shared the stage with another well-known artist - irreplaceable.  Shoulda made a copy, I guess...

People do suck...