Author Topic: WANTED: Rear Tail Light and Turn Signals  (Read 10222 times)

Bilgemaster

• Just some guy
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • 2005 Bullet 500ES in "Mean Green" Military Trim
on: October 08, 2018, 07:10:58 pm
I've just got back my old daily driver from Berlin when I lived there in the '80s, my '57 Zuendapp Bella R201 scooter. A buddy of mine in Ohio who's pretty much the North American expert in the breed was kind enough to give her the once over after her too long quarter century of hibernation in one shed or another. Thanks to him she's running like stink again. The hope is that maybe the wife will take a liking to her. You see, even though she's only a 198cc 2-stroke, once she winds up there the Bella cruises quite happily all day long at about 50-55 mph, which would make her a good touring match for my 2005 Bullet 500ES "Military", who also rolls along happiest at such speeds. Optically it may come off a little bit "Don Quixote and Sancho Panza," but functionally they should be a very fine match indeed.

Right now I'm treating her to a little rattlecan two-tone refresher paint job, but as you can see, time and several rough transports have taken a toll on her rear taillight and turn signals, which were fitted by the previous owner (type and origin unknown).  Since I know that many of you have yanked the various OEM lamps from your Enfields in favor of better gear, if you happen to have pretty much any type of rear lamp or turn signals (front or rear) gathering dust on a shelf somewhere, please do drop me a line through the Forum. I honestly don't even care if it's from an Enfield. Anything you think might  work, judging from the pix below, would also be very welcome:

« Last Edit: October 08, 2018, 07:17:32 pm by Bilgemaster »
So badass my Enfield's actually illegal  in India. Yet it squeaks by here in Virginia.

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #1 on: October 10, 2018, 11:32:44 am
Sorry, no joy on the tail light fitting - but I just gotta say, I love that thing!  Jes' looka that front fender...

Stanley

• Grease Monkey
Reply #2 on: October 10, 2018, 07:50:09 pm
That's one beautiful scooter! It's sweet to see these artful bikes getting some love.
Any trouble with registration?

My first freeway-capable bike was a Zundapp 250 Super Saber.
I miss that oily aroma.
Lurker on a Vespa

Bilgemaster

• Just some guy
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: October 10, 2018, 08:44:26 pm
That's one beautiful scooter! It's sweet to see these artful bikes getting some love.
Any trouble with registration?

My first freeway-capable bike was a Zundapp 250 Super Saber.
I miss that oily aroma.

I actually had no real problems getting a title for it in Virginia back in the late '80s, armed as I was with a special German import title in like 87 languages with its fancy matching oval plate and a folder about the size of Napoleon's Tomb from the previous owner containing every scrap of documentation, factory scripts and pap smear results going back to the Eisenhower Administration. Getting it insured was weird...GEICO wanted me to bring it by their offices for a looksee. But I suspect they may just have been curious. Since I'm at least on record with them now, I don't expect I'll need to be doing that again. State inspection was basically, "Dude, just help yourself to the stickers whenever you need one." Not that I'll be needing to do even that. Henceforth, I'll just be going the Antique plate route.

I have to tell you, a Bella's not like all those other "twitchy" handling scooters. If you're happy thumping along on an old "iron belly" 500 or 350, you'll soon be right at home on a Bella. Handles like a real motorcycle, it does. In fact, what with its Earles cantilever-type forks and big cast wheels, it handles better than many. It also has a right-handed seesaw shifter that you can even use in pumps with 6 inch heels (a good look for me that I can pull off without looking "trashy"). It's a real joy to ride. Hell it took me on vacations from Berlin to Italy through Commies, over the Alps, and back...twice. If I ever slap together a little regional gathering of Enfield owners hereabouts, an idea I'm toying with, you folks'll have to have a go with her down Bristow Road. You'll soon want one yourself. A nice relaxed old 2-stroke's a fine thing indeed.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2018, 09:22:50 pm by Bilgemaster »
So badass my Enfield's actually illegal  in India. Yet it squeaks by here in Virginia.

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #4 on: October 11, 2018, 12:18:30 am
I think those scooters are rarer than hens lips here in the US.

I did a Google search for 57 Zuendapp Bella R201 scooter for sale" and got 91,000 hits world wide.
(very few of them actually have anything to do with selling a scooter.)

A search for "hens lips for sale" got 5,790,000 world wide hits.  ;D :o 8)
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

Bilgemaster

• Just some guy
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: October 12, 2018, 03:26:51 am
Actually, I do see them from time to time on eBay. One issue with finding one is the spelling of "Zuendapp". In German it's far more commonly spelled with an umlaut, those two dots over the "u" in this case, so beloved of Metal bands. Sadly, I can't really show you one here. If I tried to toss one into our "new and improved" forum system, or pretty much any other special characters, I'd only get an error message for my trouble. I really wish they'd fix that. One can also search for the technically misspelled "Zundapp". Or just "Bella scooter". They're out there...

Here's a promising Bella in Stockton, California.

« Last Edit: October 12, 2018, 12:56:56 pm by Bilgemaster »

heloego

• A 2x4. My kingdom for a 2x4!
  • Grand Gearhead
  • USA '12 C5, '06 ElectraX
Reply #6 on: October 12, 2018, 02:07:56 pm
Kim Kardashchicken? ???
'18 Bonneville T-100, Blue/White
'12 C5 Classic
'06 Electra X AVL w/32mm Mikuni and Gold Star system.

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
  • Everybody's havin' them dreams
Reply #7 on: October 16, 2018, 03:47:38 pm

I have to tell you, a Bella's not like all those other "twitchy" handling scooters. If you're happy thumping along on an old "iron belly" 500 or 350, you'll soon be right at home on a Bella. Handles like a real motorcycle,

For some reason I can't quote your original post so I'll do this one.

Back when I was a very young, fatherless whippersnapper (I was 11 in 1949) along with being raised by a M/C of ex- and active military guys I was madly mailing away every month for EVERY brochure in every Pop Mech and Mech Illustrated for ANthing that had an engine and two wheels. Along with the harleys that were in my yard every day I was constantly perusing and analyzing brochures that came in the mail of every kind of two-wheeled thing that was out there all through the '50s. The exploded and cutaway drawings of those days were fascinating to me and I would spend hours staring at these pictures trying to figure out what was what.

I spent hours looking at the Zundapp Bella brochures. I can still remember how much cooler I thought they were than the ubiquitous Vespa and it had a bigger engine IIRC.

One of Oasis' LP albums has a Bella on the cover. It belonged to one of the band members.

So along with being imprinted on harleys at 11 like one of Konrad Lorenz' geese I also had a very strong impression of all the European bikes; bikes nobody ever heard of now. This is azackly why I finally ended up owning an '08 Enfield in 2010 at 72 y.o.. I became totally obsessed with owning one after seeing my best friend's girlfriend on a brand new 2004. It looked azactly like those bikes I stared at for years in the brochures in the early '50s. I didn't believe either one of them when they told me it was brand new.

Anyway. I have the OEM taillight assy. and directionals if you want them.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2018, 03:59:28 pm by tooseevee »
RI USA '08 Black AVL Classic.9.8:1 ACEhead/manifold/canister. TM32/Open bottle/hot tube removed. Pertronix Coil. Fed mandates removed. Gr.TCI. Bobber seat. Battery in right side case. Decomp&all doodads removed. '30s Lucas taillight/7" visored headlight. Much blackout & wire/electrical upgrades.

Bilgemaster

• Just some guy
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #8 on: October 17, 2018, 05:39:56 am
Tooseevee,

Thanks for your very kind offer!  In desperation I was already sizing up Harbor Freight trailer lighting gear to maybe lash on provisionally  with silly straws. I'll shoot you an email or PM via the Forum in the morning.

heloego

• A 2x4. My kingdom for a 2x4!
  • Grand Gearhead
  • USA '12 C5, '06 ElectraX
Reply #9 on: October 17, 2018, 02:43:49 pm
   Good on ya both!  8)
'18 Bonneville T-100, Blue/White
'12 C5 Classic
'06 Electra X AVL w/32mm Mikuni and Gold Star system.

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #10 on: October 17, 2018, 11:24:44 pm
Tooseevee,

Thanks for your very kind offer!  In desperation I was already sizing up Harbor Freight trailer lighting gear to maybe lash on provisionally  with silly straws. I'll shoot you an email or PM via the Forum in the morning.

OK. SitRep. Searched and was not rewarded. Will hit up grocery store tomorrow for box, but if I have to buy one (box) is it still worth it to you  ???
RI USA '08 Black AVL Classic.9.8:1 ACEhead/manifold/canister. TM32/Open bottle/hot tube removed. Pertronix Coil. Fed mandates removed. Gr.TCI. Bobber seat. Battery in right side case. Decomp&all doodads removed. '30s Lucas taillight/7" visored headlight. Much blackout & wire/electrical upgrades.

Bilgemaster

• Just some guy
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #11 on: October 18, 2018, 08:55:11 am
         OK. SitRep. Searched and was not rewarded. Will hit up grocery store tomorrow for box, but if I have to buy one (box) is it still worth it to you  ???

Indeed! Procure the finest box in all the land, and have them bring it to my bedchamber!

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #12 on: October 19, 2018, 04:24:51 pm
Indeed! Procure the finest box in all the land, and have them bring it to my bedchamber!

Procured box($3.50 >:( ). You can no longer find boxes in the usual places we found them "back in the day"*.

Box on the way a couple hours ago. I'll give you the tracking # if you want it.

* WTFDoDatMean? EyeNo EyeNo....

Bilgemaster

• Just some guy
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #13 on: October 20, 2018, 05:59:54 pm
Thanks, but it'll get here when it gets here, and that's soon enough for me. I really appreciate all the trouble you've gone to.

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #14 on: October 20, 2018, 09:37:31 pm
Thanks, but it'll get here when it gets here, and that's soon enough for me. I really appreciate all the trouble you've gone to.

I just realized sometime yesterday afternoon that I forgot to put the damn bolt in the box; the bolt that comes from behind, thru the fender and threads into the light housing. It's just the right length and threads. Let me know if you don't find something that works and I can mail it to you for practically nothing in one of those puffy enva lopes.

I don't find it in my parts book.