Author Topic: Thank you Ducati Scotty  (Read 12522 times)

Mad4Bullets

• Grease Monkey
  • 2014 Classic 500
Reply #45 on: October 11, 2018, 06:45:18 pm
Hey wildbill, Thanks again for the fork tube end cap pics.  They were of great value. I see you're well into the task at hand and I wish you luck.  It appears from you prior posts that you intend to refill with 195ml of oil per fork leg.  Some are using 10W and others 15w.  Which will you use?  When I'm eventually able to do this job I'm leaning more likely towards 10w but remain open-minded.  Please share your detailed results when everything is buttoned back up.  I hope you realize a tremendous improvement in your suspension for your efforts. Thank you very much.  Regards,  Kevin Daly

Mad4Bullets

• Grease Monkey
  • 2014 Classic 500
Reply #46 on: October 11, 2018, 07:44:05 pm
And one final question to the experienced panel as I continue to gather data in anticipation of eventually tackling this job.  I plan to only drain and refill the fork legs rather than a complete disassemble, reassemble and fill.  I have read that it's important to be sure that any sediment or sludge is removed prior to refill.  Can anyone recommend a product or method for effectively flushing the fork's internals?  Fresh oil and pumping the forks or perhaps another product and method? Thank you all very much.  Regards,  Kevin Daly

Richard230

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #47 on: October 11, 2018, 10:45:14 pm
When I drained my forks they appeared to be filled with the recommended 10w-30 motor oil. Since it seemed to be working fairly well as a damping fluid in my 2011 B5's forks, I decided not to increase the viscosity, but instead just used 200cc of a quality name-brand fork oil.  Since the oil that came out of the forks didn't look too bad for having been in there for over 7 years and there was no crud or metal particles that ended up in the drain pan, I decided not to flush the forks and just dumped in new oil after letting the forks drain for about 15 minutes and wiping oil off of the fork springs. However, if I was going to flush the forks with something I would have used kerosene, which I believe is referred to as "paraffin" in some parts of the world.  ???
2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM Duke 390, 2002 Yamaha FZ1

Mad4Bullets

• Grease Monkey
  • 2014 Classic 500
Reply #48 on: October 12, 2018, 02:10:10 am
Thanks for sharing.  My forks will probably be relatively clean enough as well. I'm probably overthinking things once again.

wildbill

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #49 on: October 12, 2018, 06:32:10 am
ive had several attempts to get my review on the oil change in by keep getting an error meassage

Mad4Bullets

• Grease Monkey
  • 2014 Classic 500
Reply #50 on: October 12, 2018, 11:59:31 am
In the past I've tried to cut and paste into this forum from other software and although it will allow the selected text to be pasted into the primary field it will now actually post it ans I got an error suggestion I contact the forum administrator.  Very frustrating.  In the end I had to completely retype it all over directly into the forum window then it worked. Perhaps there's a trick to it.  Good luck.

wildbill

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #51 on: October 12, 2018, 12:09:12 pm
the results being pretty detailed and POSITIVE!

Richard230

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #52 on: October 12, 2018, 02:17:53 pm
I get that error message every time I try to cut and paste a joke of more than a couple of lines of text in the joke thread. It seems to have something to do with the number of characters that I try to post in my reply, as shorter jokes seem to be accepted.  Apparently, the forum brain cell seems to be living by some sort of rules that we do not yet understand.  But I do get the impression that it is not happy with the cut-and-paste operation.  ::)
2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM Duke 390, 2002 Yamaha FZ1

wildbill

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #53 on: October 12, 2018, 02:20:13 pm
well lets be honest then...the new format stinks!...LOl

Adrian II

• Grand Gearhead
  • Sharing my ignorance with anyone who needs it
Reply #54 on: October 12, 2018, 11:21:03 pm
To a mere forum member and not a web-site/forum expert, it seemed to me that the old forum wasn't broken, so why fix it (and ACTUALLY break it)?

A.
Grumpy Brit still seeking 500 AVL Bullet perfection! Will let you know if I get anywhere near...

wildbill

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #55 on: October 13, 2018, 12:11:36 am
quick summary

first thanks to all who played an input in the fork oil change.
I had no trouble getting both fork caps undone. neither were on actually tight at all
I checked my manual and it listed 200 mils per fork.
I decided to go 190 mils per fork just in case I still had residue inside the forks. although I did pump them several times......and the forks too!...LOL
a 10 mile test run resulted in a very good ride quality and it handled all the bumps with ease. I could actually sit on the seat and ride some rather than stand on the pegs.
overall I was well worth doing and I actually saved $$$ doing it ;) pretty bad really when you buy something new and its not up to standard on very poor attention to detail OR lets put in 140mil and save the 50 mils for another bike.
overall very happy with end results and in my case as I had a bad riding bike...its been highly successful venture.
if it hadn't i'd just tell you now - I wasted my time...but not the case here! 

Narada

• Grand Gearhead
  • Riding the Madrass Missile!
Reply #56 on: October 13, 2018, 02:47:01 pm
Glad you got it sorted WildBill!  So, you had 140 mil in each fork, or were there different amounts in each one?  ??? Did it seem to be decent oil, or some unidentifiable goo?  I've read that the older ones came with all sorts of sludge.  :o 

If I am reading right, you just pumped them out too... Seems sensible to me unless you need to do deep cleaning or replace seals.  :)  I'll have to have a look into my '15 C5 one of these days too just to see what's in there! ??? Hopefully, not too much of an echo!
Realize your Self on a Royal Enfield.

2015 Classic Chrome/Maroon; "Bholenath", Ported head by GHG, AVL Pistons, Hitchcocks H.P. Cams, PC-V, A/T,  Kenda-761's, Koso TNT, Premium EFI Silencer.

2015 Triumph T-100 Orange/Black, TTP Stage-2 induction
2012 Triumph Scrambler / Dauntless M-72D Sidecar.

Mad4Bullets

• Grease Monkey
  • 2014 Classic 500
Reply #57 on: October 13, 2018, 03:33:25 pm
Thanks to all from Ducati Scotty on down in making this discussion so rich in detail and collective experience. All have added value, clarity and confidence in tackling this once mystical shock maintenance.  For some time now I have been following and learning from Mr. Monu Sagar on You Tube.  This gentle Indian man is a Royal Enfield Guru, and despite his videos being in Hindi more often than not I can clearly understand his intent.  He is a born teacher.  I have attached a link to a related video that compliments this discussion nicely and I'm hopeful that you'll find value in this as well as his other videos.  Check out and subscribe if you like.  Regards,  Kevin Daly

Note the offset lower axles and the straight fork style fork tube caps. Enjoy.

https://youtu.be/JstpgCeX2eI

Haggis

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #58 on: October 13, 2018, 04:09:59 pm
Nice video.????
 Confirmed my suspicion that there are NO fork bushes in the older leading axle forks.
On my 2015 straight forks you cannot just slide the stanchion out of bottom leg.
The bush on the bottom of the stanchion is a larger outer diameter than the inner diameter of the top bush.
You have use the bottom of the fork leg like a slide hammer to knock out the top bush and fork seal.
Off route, recalculate?

wildbill

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #59 on: October 14, 2018, 01:17:57 am
narada

yes I got out 140 miles per fork and put back in 190mils per fork
drained the fork then pumped it out several times and let it sit upside down for half an hour or more.
oil was just a highly smelly dirty black looking stuff. wife was first to complain about that on my clothes...lol
that cap which has created removal problems for most was no drama for me. not even tight! very east to undo.
in my case that was the part I was dreading the most.
overall i'd class this fork oil change a very easy thing to do BUT saying that ...I had no trouble with that nut. if I had I might be thinking a whole lot differently.
either way it was well worth the effort and i'd say 2/3 hours to complete the job is a pretty spot on call.