Author Topic: Thank you Ducati Scotty  (Read 12554 times)

Bert Remington

• Grease Monkey
Reply #60 on: November 08, 2018, 07:16:11 pm
When I converted to a 7" headlight, I couldn't find an H4 LED bulb that wouldn't hit the speedometer cable so I installed a Hella Amber H4 incandescent.  To provide daytime visibility with minimal current draw, I added an LED foglight below the headlight as pictured.

Several times under heavy braking on San Diego's potholed roads, I thought the foglight hit the fender but neither showed signs of contact.  So I think the forks were bottoming.  While I'm waiting for a replacement engine, I replaced the RE fork oil with Bel Ray 10W in my straight ("inline" per RE terminology) forks.

I greatly benefited from the information provided here, especially the Haggis pictures.  Here are my additions:

(1) I couldn't unscrew the fork cap so I used a brass hammer to firmly tap its perimeter.  I circled three times.  Problem solved.  BTW this works for many RE fasteners.

(2) After three turns with the wrench the fork cap unscrewed by hand.  Spring tension was low.  Assembly was similar after I oiled the threads and O-ring.

(3) The old oil was dark indicating metal wear and sticky so it wasn't engine oil.  You have to pump the fork upside down to fully drain it.

(4) I used some detergent and water to remove the remaining oil, rinsed thoroughly including pumping, and dried in the sun for several hours.

(5) Refill was 195ml.  I hand-tested the compression damping and I think 15W is in my future since SD roads ain't getting smoother.  And maybe a trip to Corona to visit RaceTech (http://racetech.com/ProductSearch/12/Royal%20Enfield/Bullet%20500/2007-17).
2016 RE Classic 500 CA version Fair-Weather Mountain Bike
2014 Can-Am Spyder RT-S SE6 Freeway Commuter Pod