Author Topic: Kick lever compatibility?  (Read 1064 times)

AgentX

• Grand Gearhead
on: October 30, 2018, 02:15:34 pm
Hi all--

Bottom line up front:  What other [british?] bike kickstart levers will work with the 5spd gearbox?

Reasons I'm looking:
My 5spd right-shift iron barrel has used a folding (EFI-type I believe) kickstart lever since I put the bike together.  It's now very floppy, and is alway coming out while riding; while I want to shim out some of the looseness to make it work OK again, the ball detent seems to be done-with, so I'm not sure how well that will hold up.

I have rearsets on a modified frame sitting behind the gearbox, so I need a lever with some offset to clear them.  I think my low exhaust prohibits the use of the neat wrap-under trials-style kicker.  If I recall, the 4-speed levers do work on the 5spd shaft, despite the slightly different (superior-ish) setup of the grooved 5spd shaft and mating fixing bolt.

Thought it was likely that some/many/most British bikes followed the same pattern and was looking to expand my choices from the expensive options at Hitchcock.

Ideally, I might go for one of the solid non-folding types if there's something that works.  This reminds me I'll try the lever off my Norton Atlas this weekend to see if it fits, but any other info still appreciated.