Author Topic: Drive Chain Repair on Bullet 500 Classic  (Read 1612 times)

jdrouin

• Grand Gearhead
on: October 07, 2018, 10:25:06 pm
The drive chain on my 2007 Bullet 500 Classic came apart in the driveway from a bad shift. All it needs is a new pin, but I'm a little confused about how to go about this.

The chain size is 530, non-O-ring, right?

Do I get a new master link to put in place of the link that got separated? Or is it possible to just get a pin and insert that?

Also, not sure if it's time to replace the whole chain as the bike (with all original parts) now has about 10,000 miles.

Stanley

• Grease Monkey
Reply #1 on: October 07, 2018, 10:39:50 pm
I would definitely replace the stock chain with a plain RK or other name brand unsealed unit.
The non-sealed chain doesn`t rob as much power, is cheaper and with care will last a long time. The safety risk of repairing an old Indian chain is no bargain.
Lurker on a Vespa

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #2 on: October 08, 2018, 12:10:08 am
I agree with Stanley.
These chains are hell for stout considering the horsepower they handle on a Royal Enfield.  I can't think of any reason one should just "come apart" unless it is very old and worn out.

Yes, the chain is a standard 530 type.  Buy a new one. :)

If you can't buy a new one for some reason, you will need a new "master link" which is the side-plate with two pins attached, a removable side-plate and the spring clip that holds everything together.  Almost any motorcycle shop will have some.
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

Bilgemaster

• Just some guy
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • 2005 Bullet 500ES in "Mean Green" Military Trim
Reply #3 on: October 21, 2018, 09:42:57 pm
One thing that bears mentioning is that the closed end of the spring clip on such a master link should point in the direction of the chain's travel.

So badass my Enfield's actually illegal  in India. Yet it squeaks by here in Virginia.