Author Topic: Is Twin Production Affected by Strike?  (Read 7594 times)

Narada

• Grand Gearhead
  • Riding the Madrass Missile!
on: October 04, 2018, 05:52:23 pm
Royal Enfield at Oragadam is presently on strike and production was down 10,000 "units" as of a couple days ago. Not sure if "Twins" are made there.  :(

The story is a little complicated and I've been getting information this week by googling the subject and reading Indian news releases.

You guys can say what you will about unions, but there are two sides to every story. I only ask that the company I support does not mistreat its employees.  ???

There are other strikes going on as well at Oragadam, one at Yamaha, hunger strikes too. Police arresting many hundreds of people.  :'(

This has really put a damper on my desire to buy a new Interceptor anytime soon.   :-\
Realize your Self on a Royal Enfield.

2015 Classic Chrome/Maroon; "Bholenath", Ported head by GHG, AVL Pistons, Hitchcocks H.P. Cams, PC-V, A/T,  Kenda-761's, Koso TNT, Premium EFI Silencer.

2015 Triumph T-100 Orange/Black, TTP Stage-2 induction
2012 Triumph Scrambler / Dauntless M-72D Sidecar.

Richard230

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: October 04, 2018, 10:23:06 pm
Any idea what the strikes are about?  Do they want more money, better benefits, a better retirement plan, nicer uniforms, no women workers, fewer new factory robots, or fewer overseers with whips?  ???
2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM Duke 390, 2002 Yamaha FZ1

Bilgemaster

• Just some guy
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • 2005 Bullet 500ES in "Mean Green" Military Trim
Reply #2 on: October 05, 2018, 02:39:14 pm
It's hard to get the full picture from the obviously rather conservative-leaning Indian business press, but apparently the line workers want to be able to play Candy Crush  on their phones.

Welcome to "industrial action" in the 21st century!
« Last Edit: October 05, 2018, 02:53:15 pm by Bilgemaster »
So badass my Enfield's actually illegal  in India. Yet it squeaks by here in Virginia.

Richard230

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: October 05, 2018, 02:54:12 pm
Well, that certainly is something worth striking about.   ;D

Narada

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: October 05, 2018, 04:20:47 pm
Information is sketchy. Journalism is at a tabloid level and biased against the employees.  I try to find the latest news and it is days old.  Here is my present understanding;

Employees formed a union about 5 months ago. the company didn't react, things were fine, then two guys who represented the union got fired. Shortly thereafter, 120 employees were fired, or terminated, or let go without cause.  A strike ensued, with employees sitting and lying down on company property for a week or so.

The government advised employees to go back to work, and they did. Strike over.  Then the company said everyone had to turn over their phones to company security to go to work. People did not trust security and countered with a request for secure lockers to put their phones in. Company said no. Strike resumed. 

Yamaha is on strike too.  There are other strikes, and hunger strikes, and many hundreds of people have been jailed at Oragadam. Here is the latest I found by simply googling "Royal Enfield strike Oragadam";

https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/city/chennai/royal-enfield-employees-restart-strike/articleshow/66048590.cms

It appears the entire Oragadam area is experiencing labor unrest.  One fun fact I found in all this; There is a law that engineers with 6 years experience must be paid a minimum of 30,000 rupees a month. That's $406.00  Royal Enfield was said to be paying around 12,500 rupees, or about $170.00  That's for engineers with 6 years experience.  So I read on the internet. Who really knows, but even if they are paying the full legal minimum, it aint much.

I just would like to know that RE is treating their employees fairly, so I can test ride with a clear conscience.  I also feel the same for Triumph, who built my Bonneville in Thailand.  I tried to find information on that facility before buying the bike but there was almost nothing about it on the web. The dealer doesn't even want to admit where they are built.  It's all kept very quiet.

2015 Classic Chrome/Maroon; "Bholenath", Ported head by GHG, AVL Pistons, Hitchcocks H.P. Cams, PC-V, A/T,  Kenda-761's, Koso TNT, Premium EFI Silencer.

Richard230

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: October 05, 2018, 10:15:53 pm
Wow. That sounds like something out of the early-1900's in the U.S. Let's hope RE doesn't follow in the footsteps of Triumph during the early-1970's.   :o

Narada

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #6 on: October 09, 2018, 06:08:07 pm
Here's the latest from a few days ago;

https://www.business-standard.com/article/companies/royal-enfield-workers-protest-inside-oragadam-factory-removed-by-police-118100500913_1.html

600 arrested, 300 walk out.  They make it sound very peaceful though...

cyrusb

• Kept man
  • Grand Gearhead
  • There's a last time for everything
Reply #7 on: October 09, 2018, 07:20:37 pm
Wow, that candy crush comment is right on target!! Maybe the management should let the workers have their cell phones . I have seen some videos of the factory where the workers are aimlessly wandering about. Perhaps they could use the phones GPS to find their workstation. Plus, I suspect the workers are stealing horsepower, it's the only logical explanation for the outputs of all their bikes.
2005E Fixed and or Replaced: ignition, fenders,chainguard,wires,carb,headlight,seat,tailight,sprockets,chain,shock springs,fork springs, exhaust system, horn,shifter,clutch arm, trafficators,crankcase vent.

Bilgemaster

• Just some guy
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #8 on: October 10, 2018, 01:43:39 pm
Wow, that candy crush comment is right on target!! Maybe the management should let the workers have their cell phones . I have seen some videos of the factory where the workers are aimlessly wandering about. Perhaps they could use the phones GPS to find their workstation. Plus, I suspect the workers are stealing horsepower, it's the only logical explanation for the outputs of all their bikes.

My favorite character from the old Enfield factory floor footage is the old fella with the broom just wandering aimlessly here and there with a faraway 1,000 yard stare, but holding the broom THE WRONG WAY UP.

That said, please understand that I don't actually believe for a minute that the strikes in Oragadam are just about workers having to turn in their phones. It's about their wanting to unionize and the various companies (Enfield, Yamaha, etc.) wanting to stop them doing so. You probably dont't need to have been in the supporting cast of Slumdog Millionaire  to guess that there may be a bit broader of a gulf between the haves and the havenots yonder, and that the haves aren't above a little shameless chicanery to keep the havenots down...

So badass my Enfield's actually illegal  in India. Yet it squeaks by here in Virginia.

Bmadd34

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #9 on: October 11, 2018, 04:13:23 pm
In India there are basically two classes of people. One that lives in high rise apartments/homes and one that live in slums. The class that live in slums are forced to share a very limited amount of public toilets of literally S###
in the streets and on beaches. See here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ixJgY2VSct0
When Life hands you lemons, Squeeze them in his eyes and take his wallet.

Narada

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #10 on: October 11, 2018, 07:15:13 pm
Wow, that video was depressing, but people gotta do what they gotta do.  Keep in mind that is about one part of a Bombay slum. "All of India" is not like that.  Those slums are incomprehensibly huge though.  I don't know how people survive them.  There are plenty of videos about them. Some slums aren't all bad, but pooping without modern plumbing is difficult.  Even in a lot of Europe.

The question of this thread however, is how the strike is affecting production of the new twins.  Unfortunately, there is still not much information.  I wonder if the media is actually forbidden to report on it?  That one quote from late September had the factory "down 10,000 units"  It would have to be something like 20,000 or 30,000 by now...?  Could that delay the release of the twins even longer...?  Are the twins even built at Oragadam?

I know it's a cruel world, and the human condition has been pretty miserable for most of us throughout time.  I just hope to feel good about Royal Enfields place in it all, and my support of them by the time this is over.  I did google the average wage for an assembly mechanic at RE Oragadam and got 11,000 - 14,000 rupees a month. That's $150.00 - $190.00 per month (according to a few internet sites).  Not so different from the engineer with 6 years experience quote I found earlier, so I don't know what to believe... 

cyrusb

• Kept man
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #11 on: October 11, 2018, 08:37:40 pm
It seems Twin production could be affected by many things other than the strike. The wait to use the toilet may be a factor. Does anybody really want a machine that is built by workers who must always be on the verge of crapping themselves? The quality control has to suffer. I know from personal experience how tough it is to accomplish anything when "Crowning" or "Touching Cotton".  I am looking at my '05 with a different set of eyes now.
2005E Fixed and or Replaced: ignition, fenders,chainguard,wires,carb,headlight,seat,tailight,sprockets,chain,shock springs,fork springs, exhaust system, horn,shifter,clutch arm, trafficators,crankcase vent.

GlennF

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #12 on: October 16, 2018, 04:38:48 am
To be honest buying the first version of any new RE model is not something I am over inclined to leap into.

My current plan is to keep the bullet at least another year and let the dust settle  before thinking of upgrading.

Bilgemaster

• Just some guy
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #13 on: October 18, 2018, 05:52:23 pm
To be honest buying the first version of any new RE model is not something I am over inclined to leap into.

My current plan is to keep the bullet at least another year and let the dust settle  before thinking of upgrading.

That's probably some sound thinking right there. Let others engage in that initial real world bug hunt. But then, I'm not likely to EVER buy a new vehicle of any sort. Nursing old junk along, that's my thing.

But enough of that...Let's get back to the poop at hand, or foot, or wherever! Ladies and gentlemen, kindly RSVP for the Poo Party and "Take the Poo to the Loo".

cyrusb

• Kept man
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #14 on: October 18, 2018, 08:42:02 pm
I bought my R.E 05 K.S  bullet because it was unique, and unlike any other motorcycle on the market. A living, rideable relic from the past. This was, and still is the draw, to be able to ride a bit of history without the worry of ruining a irreplaceable antique. Sooo, Now that aspect is long gone, and I can only guess that it is the low price that attracts riders to these machines. R.E is keeping it's workers in poverty so you can have a low priced motorcycle. If the union ever takes hold that should change. And I hope it does.