Author Topic: Royal Enfield Fury/Indian Westerner Part wanted  (Read 3986 times)

Adrian II

• Grand Gearhead
  • Sharing my ignorance with anyone who needs it
on: October 04, 2018, 12:02:50 pm
Hi all.

I have also posted this in the wanted section, but will repeat it here.

Does anyone here or anyone you know have the triple tree/bottom yoke/steering stem for one of the above, part number 41913 for sale? Similar to the Bullet version but the stem is longer.

(Andreas, you had a set off your Abfangjaeger project you were going to use on a Bullet, I would be willing to trade for an alloy trials top yoke and suitable bottom yoke if you're interested.)

Thank you.

A.
Grumpy Brit still seeking 500 AVL Bullet perfection! Will let you know if I get anywhere near...

grumbern

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: October 04, 2018, 08:12:13 pm
Is that really longer? I'll have to check, if it's the right one. Since it's a bitsa, the parts used don't necessarily match up. I also believe it's bent, but let me check tomorrow!
Andreas

P.S.: HMC should have some in stock btw.!?

Adrian II

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #2 on: October 05, 2018, 02:15:50 pm
Hi Andreas,

HMC have Fury top yokes, new old stock and used (I bought one), but no bottom yoke/steering stems. The closest they can offer is a used one for an Airflow Fairing Bullet which is 0.5" longer but which - unfortunately - has had the steering stops shortened.

What I do have is the RE(India) Lightning version which has a longer stem to allow for the design of the plain top yoke, but as this uses a sleeve nut with a thin hexagon for the spanner and takes a domed locknut (there's no clamp for the stem on these), and the sleeve sits in a counter-bored hole **in** the top yoke rather than on top of the yoke the stem isn't quite long enough. Needs about another 0.5".

Now it would be possible to bore out the top of the Fury yoke a little so that the sleeve nut will sit properly, but then I don't REALLY want to go chopping genuine Fury parts about, however discretely, if I can avoid it.

The short-term plan will be to use the complete Lightning top yoke and triple tree set-up the same as on my AVL hybrid until a suitable part can be obtained, or an early Indian component modified.

A.
Grumpy Brit still seeking 500 AVL Bullet perfection! Will let you know if I get anywhere near...

grumbern

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: October 06, 2018, 06:33:51 am
Hmm, my Idea would be to either get that cut off bottom yoke and weld on new steering stops, or maybe extend the stem of a standard Indian one.
I will measure what mine has an give you feedback.
Andreas

Adrian II

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: October 06, 2018, 04:13:35 pm
I think I will pass on the used item at HMC, from their description the stem is no longer than the Lighning's stem.

Extending the stem of a pre-2003 Indian bottom yoke is an option - at least in the hands of a competent engineer. However, that description does not apply to me, though I think there is a local engineering shop which could do the job..

Drilling out the Fury top yoke to take the Lightning sleeve nut would be a lot less hassle and won't render the thing unusable if the the correct steering stem is available later on, it would simply need a sleeve washer under the steering stem nut to take up any slack.

Meanwhile I won't cut, grind or drill anything until you have checked your steering stem and let me know what you find.

A.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2018, 04:17:00 pm by Adrian II »

grumbern

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: October 07, 2018, 07:55:10 pm
Well, I measured the stem on the yoke and it is about 24cm in length, measured from the ball race, so you'd have to add that.
Hope that helps,
Andreas

Adrian II

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #6 on: October 07, 2018, 11:18:37 pm
Ah, now, this is where I start to become confused.

My Indian Lightning stem is too short at 25.5cm from the top of the ball race (it needs to be about 26.5cm), but yours, which I assume did have the top nut screwed down onto it, is only 24cm! ???

Good job we're talking Royal Enfields, as this doesn't have to make any sense...  ::)

I measured a couple more bottom yokes, a standard Bullet (pre-2003 Indian?), 23.5cm stem, and a Series 1 Interceptor, the shortest of the lot at 22.7cm, both also measured from the top of the ball race. Both of these use sleeve-type top/stem nuts.

The Interceptor item is new old stock, it has the plate with 2 pegs welded onto the bottom for the steering damper and has a hollow stem to suit. Let me know if you need it for your project.

Thanks for checking!

A.

Adrian II

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #7 on: October 09, 2018, 10:34:43 pm
OK, I've had the Fury top yoke bored out slightly to take the Lightning stem's sleeve nut, so I can manage without, but if anyone does come up with item, part #41913, I'm still interested.

Thanks all.

A.

Adrian II

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #8 on: November 09, 2018, 03:30:55 pm
There are still discoveries to be made while rummaging around Mr H's on line parts books.

Changed top yoke means steering stem too short? Instead of spending silly amounts of time tracking down unobtanium longer steering stems (the Fury's is actually part # 45990 if anyone else is looking), why not use this?

(Photo lifted from Hitchcock's website, for the less observant)

Yep, the '63 UK market Interceptor (not many of those around, there seem to be more of the export Series 1 still in existence) has an extended steering stem nut, part # 44798.

Of possible interest to approximately 0.27 other forum members, but hey, it might help someone else. Medication time already? Thank you, nurse.

A.