Author Topic: Official Interceptor/GT 650 Twin , Price in the US  (Read 6071 times)

Balaji

• technophile and a wannabe petrolhead
  • Scooter
on: September 26, 2018, 03:56:21 am
The chrome GT 650 is gonna cost more : 6749 USD
The standard Interceptor is gonna cost the least : 5799 USD
What do you think?
The thump keeps me alive

gizzo

• Grand Gearhead
  • purple people
Reply #1 on: September 26, 2018, 01:34:51 pm
I think if it's what you want at a price you're happy with, you'll buy it. If not, not.
simon from south Australia
Continental GT
Pantah
DR250
DRZ400SM
C90
GSX250E

Richard230

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #2 on: September 26, 2018, 01:55:59 pm
I think that $950 for a chrome tank and fenders is a lot more than I would be willing to pay for the privilege of cleaning water spots off the finish.  Especially as there is good chrome plate and poor chrome plate and with Indian products you might not know which one you will be getting for your extra money.  ??? Me, I'll stick with paint, thank you very much.  ;)
2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM Duke 390, 2002 Yamaha FZ1

hpwaco

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: September 26, 2018, 05:23:31 pm
Amen , that's a lot of money for chrome!

Kevin Mahoney

• Gotten my hands dirty on bikes more than once -
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Cozy Sidecar distributor/former Royal Enfield dist
Reply #4 on: September 26, 2018, 06:41:33 pm
The pricing is great - in fact sort of shocking at least to me. Puts RENA and dealers in an interesting situation as it relates to pricing of the 500's.

Best Regards,
Kevin Mahoney
www.cyclesidecar.com

Arschloch

• Grand Gearhead
  • ...all is lost
Reply #5 on: September 26, 2018, 06:55:57 pm
The world knows about the affinity of the us market to chrome. Would make sense to charge accordingly.

Kevin Mahoney

• Gotten my hands dirty on bikes more than once -
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Cozy Sidecar distributor/former Royal Enfield dist
Reply #6 on: September 26, 2018, 07:12:49 pm
Until relatively recently RE's had polished aluminum on the engines. transmissions, forks etc. This finish was period correct. I manufactured many items with a "show polish" finish. They were a work of art. I couldn't give them away.

When I switched to Chrome I couldn't keep the stuff on the shelves
Best Regards,
Kevin Mahoney
www.cyclesidecar.com

cyrusb

• Kept man
  • Grand Gearhead
  • There's a last time for everything
Reply #7 on: October 04, 2018, 08:33:12 pm
More $ for chrome? That is very interesting. It is much easier, less prep headaches, etc to chrome a piece of metal than to paint it. The details involved creating a saleable painted object are many. Chroming, particularly on a industrial scale is 1/4 of the headaches.  Why on earth would it cost more?
2005E Fixed and or Replaced: ignition, fenders,chainguard,wires,carb,headlight,seat,tailight,sprockets,chain,shock springs,fork springs, exhaust system, horn,shifter,clutch arm, trafficators,crankcase vent.

Richard230

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #8 on: October 04, 2018, 10:09:04 pm
More $ for chrome? That is very interesting. It is much easier, less prep headaches, etc to chrome a piece of metal than to paint it. The details involved creating a saleable painted object are many. Chroming, particularly on a industrial scale is 1/4 of the headaches.  Why on earth would it cost more?

Perhaps because RE feels that they can make an extra $1000 profit on the selling chrome GT motorcycles to their overseas customers.  ::)

Narada

• Grand Gearhead
  • Riding the Madrass Missile!
Reply #9 on: October 05, 2018, 04:32:34 pm
What is the price difference for classic chrome C5 vs. regular C5? ???  The twins should reflect (no pun intended) the same policy.
Realize your Self on a Royal Enfield.

2015 Classic Chrome/Maroon; "Bholenath", Ported head by GHG, AVL Pistons, Hitchcocks H.P. Cams, PC-V, A/T,  Kenda-761's, Koso TNT, Premium EFI Silencer.

2015 Triumph T-100 Orange/Black, TTP Stage-2 induction
2012 Triumph Scrambler / Dauntless M-72D Sidecar.

1 Thump

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #10 on: October 11, 2018, 04:56:15 pm
The chrome GT 650 is gonna cost more : 6749 USD
The standard Interceptor is gonna cost the least : 5799 USD
What do you think?

The bike is priced just right, looks kool, and the early reports (on Blasco's blog) are that it rides well too. I agree with Kevin. It does put them in a quandry over pricing the singles. The sales for the new singles will go down along with the prices for the used singles.

Richard230

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #11 on: October 11, 2018, 10:29:35 pm
The bike is priced just right, looks kool, and the early reports (on Blasco's blog) are that it rides well too. I agree with Kevin. It does put them in a quandry over pricing the singles. The sales for the new singles will go down along with the prices for the used singles.

Unless, of course, the quantities of the 650 models are limited in certain markets, such as in the U.S. Then dealers might just add on an extra profit margin to the price tag that is not added to the singles range.

In my area dealers who sell popular Japanese models tend to add $500 to $1000 to the MSRP of the bikes as "additional dealer profit" and can apparently get away with it.

I first came across this concept when I wanted to buy a new 1980 Honda Accord from a dealer in San Bruno, CA. They added $3000 to the MSRP and when I complained, I was told that was the local value of the car and if I didn't like it go somewhere else. So I went to the Honda dealer in Daly City and discovered that they were doing the same thing. I really got depressed when I saw 12 tables, all occupied with salesmen selling cars to customers. So I just went back home and kept my 1974 Volvo for a few more years.  :(

heloego

• A 2x4. My kingdom for a 2x4!
  • Grand Gearhead
  • USA '12 C5, '06 ElectraX
Reply #12 on: October 12, 2018, 12:09:24 am
And so it goes...
   The "S" in MSRP is for Manufacturer's Suggested Retail Price, and a marketing toss used by the manufacturer to initiate appeal to prospective buyers.
   The reality is that the Dealers will always charge what they think the market will bear.   The other reality is that as soon as an uninformed buyer pays the asking price they've just screwed everyone else that comes along because now the dealer has no reason to bargain or reduce the price, be it autos, bikes, real estate, or anything else.
   Sad f*cking world, isn't it?
'18 Bonneville T-100, Blue/White
'12 C5 Classic
'06 Electra X AVL w/32mm Mikuni and Gold Star system.

gizzo

• Grand Gearhead
  • purple people
Reply #13 on: October 12, 2018, 04:03:34 am
Why's that the case? Could it work the other way and the rest of the more informed buyers refuse to buy at the inflated price, forcing the price back to where it should be and leaving the dealer with a one off bonus from the chump? No one is forcing anyone to buy anything at a price they don't want to pay. You can either pay it, negotiate a lower price or go without?
Just asking, I don't really have much experience buying big ticket items other than my home.
simon from south Australia
Continental GT
Pantah
DR250
DRZ400SM
C90
GSX250E

heloego

• A 2x4. My kingdom for a 2x4!
  • Grand Gearhead
  • USA '12 C5, '06 ElectraX
Reply #14 on: October 12, 2018, 01:39:22 pm
   "The rest of the more informed buyers" are, sadly, in the minority.
   The vast majority of today's buyers are stuck on instant gratification. For them, researching anything takes up valuable time from texting, Starbucks, and the need to cruise around impressing everyone with their new vehicle they they financed for an exorbitant price. And the dealers know that and mine it for all its worth.
'18 Bonneville T-100, Blue/White
'12 C5 Classic
'06 Electra X AVL w/32mm Mikuni and Gold Star system.