Author Topic: Performance modifications  (Read 2500 times)

Warwick

• Grease Monkey
on: October 04, 2018, 03:47:29 am
Hi All
Any thoughts on potential performance mods for the new 650's.
cheers and beers
Warwick
2007 Bullet, 1999 Lightning, 2010 Honda VFR1200f, 2019 Interceptor, 2007 Kwaka GPX250R

Bilgemaster

• Just some guy
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • 2005 Bullet 500ES in "Mean Green" Military Trim
Reply #1 on: October 04, 2018, 08:55:15 am
Hard to say what doodads may become available, or, for that matter, even much about how the newborn beasts play bone stock, since few if any of the new twins have yet found their way to private owners.

One imagines there could one day be some  higher end performance gear available from the folks who developed the breed for Royal Enfield, Harris Performance (like RE, a subsidiary of Eicher Motors). And it was Harris that screwed together the heavily modified twin recently at Bonneville described here.

Those who are really curious about mods for the forthcoming twins, whether soon available or perhaps only still yet proposed, might do well to contact Harris directly to ask them when the hot stuff might commence dribbling out. In fact, those inquiries alone may well encourage the good folks at Harris that there'd be a viable market for such goodies.

« Last Edit: October 04, 2018, 01:57:12 pm by Bilgemaster »
So badass my Enfield's actually illegal  in India. Yet it squeaks by here in Virginia.

Adrian II

• Grand Gearhead
  • Sharing my ignorance with anyone who needs it
Reply #2 on: October 04, 2018, 11:51:56 am
Probably after-market mufflers and some sort of ECU upgrade, maybe Mikuni carburettor kits for the maniacs later on. But you actually need to HAVE the 650 first...

A.
Grumpy Brit still seeking 500 AVL Bullet perfection! Will let you know if I get anywhere near...

Richard230

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: October 04, 2018, 10:20:00 pm
But with Euro4, any commercial company that manufactures and sells products to defeat their wonderful regulations is really going to be taking a risk. Those guys can levy very big fines if they feel they are being disrespected.  ::)  Motorcycle dealers in CA are really nervous about installing any engine performance products that might not meet CA EPA regulations. I believe the maximum fine is something like $11,000 per incident.  :o  They will look the other way if you install (or remove) the stuff yourself, but they won't do it in the shop.  If they sell it they make you swear that it will be used "for off-road racing only".

When I bought my RE premium classic muffler (no catalytic converter, thank you very much), our former host specified on his web site that the muffler could not be used on-road in California. So I swore on a stack of Bibles when I bought the muffler that I would never use it while riding on public streets.  ;)
2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM Duke 390, 2002 Yamaha FZ1

Bilgemaster

• Just some guy
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • 2005 Bullet 500ES in "Mean Green" Military Trim
Reply #4 on: October 05, 2018, 03:32:52 pm
Well, the bright side is I'd expect that the good folks at Harris Performance in Hertfordshire might care just about as much what some kale-eating Californian eco-pests might think as I do about yesterday's weather forecast on Neptune. At worst, I'd expect some easily-detachable label somewhere reading "for off-road use only."
So badass my Enfield's actually illegal  in India. Yet it squeaks by here in Virginia.

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #5 on: October 05, 2018, 09:17:33 pm
Whatever it may be, it will almost assuredly be twice as expensive as a similar modification to a Bullet, due to needing two of nearly any add-ons because it is a twin.

However, something like an ECU piggyback should cost about the same.
Home of the Fireball 535 !