Author Topic: Magura Hydraulic Clutch Conversion Kit  (Read 1439 times)

hpwaco

• Grand Gearhead
on: October 16, 2018, 05:31:40 pm
Magura Hydraulic Clutch Conversion Kit.  See ad in Sept/Oct Motorcyclist.   Says fits street, adventure, VINTAGE, off road.
    Info@magurausa.com

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #1 on: October 17, 2018, 01:47:41 am
Seems like I just saw another post here on the forum about these?

Oh well.  I like the old fashioned wire cable myself.

The clutch cable that was on my 2011 G5 finally got removed and replaced by me just because after 6 years of flawless service and 20,000 miles, I figured I might as well use the replacement cable that came with the motorcycle.  (Back in those days, new RE's imported into the US had spare throttle cables, clutch cable, inner tube and speedometer cable, plus a can of spray paint that matched the color of the motorcycle.)

I give my clutch cable a good oiling twice a year and it never had a problem. :)
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

Bilgemaster

• Just some guy
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • 2005 Bullet 500ES in "Mean Green" Military Trim
Reply #2 on: October 17, 2018, 03:23:46 pm
If it's one thing I am thoroughly pleased with it's my 2005 "Iron Belly's" clutch operation. Sure, unlike Arizoni's "Cable Sentinel of the Aeons," its original cable bowed out at about 5,000 miles, broken at the hand lever end, as they are wont to do, and was replaced with a FAR superior Barnett one from our hosts in Ft. Worth. Having seen both, I doubt I'd touch an OEM one with a barge pole at this point...even if it were free. There's a reason  Enfield felt obliged to provide spares with each new bike. That said, proper lubrication would be key to nursing one of those original gurkens along. One other tip I picked up from the old British Norton Owners Club's "Commando Service Notes" booklet was to wrap a little of that white PTFE (Teflon) thread sealing tape for plumbing and a good daubing of grease around the cable end at the handlebar lever end. It's a balm to make clutch operation smooth as silk and really helps ameliorate the twisting and jerkiness that makes that cable end fail to begin with.

If one insists on going the "shabby purist" route with those OEM cables, presumably made out of recycled cat food cans and still smelling vaguely of tuna, then at least toss a few of these Solderless Screw-On Nipples into your tool pouch. They take up almost no room, and will have you on your way in minutes when the inevitable "Pop!" occurs:

As for a hydraulic clutch, that's on my Enfield's To-Do List  right after those interstellar pulse-drive pods and on-board urine catheter system.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2018, 03:43:02 pm by Bilgemaster »
So badass my Enfield's actually illegal  in India. Yet it squeaks by here in Virginia.

Stanley

• Grease Monkey
Reply #3 on: October 17, 2018, 06:50:20 pm
After owning two Ducatis, I favor the good old clutch cable any day.
Haven't broken one since the Nixon era.
Lurker on a Vespa

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #4 on: October 17, 2018, 10:44:38 pm
Bilgemaster

I understand why you had problems with your old ironbelly's clutch cable and your suggestion about using some PTFE on the upper cable end is a good one. :)

On the clutch cable for the UCE's, a piece of teflon-like material is already in place on the upper end.  :D

With this in place there is no need to add any additional anti-friction stuff there although it is a good idea for anyone who has the upper end disengaged with the clutch lever to visually check to see that it is still there.

The plastic piece has a small hole thru it that the cable  goes thru and it's one piece so it can't fall off but I suppose it might crack or break and get lost on a motorcycle that never got its cable lubed.
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary