Author Topic: Best big piston kit for the 500?  (Read 4915 times)

TrianglePete

• Bulleteer
  • U.S. Spec RE parts & THE FIN intake.
Reply #15 on: March 03, 2021, 12:31:19 pm
Maybe someone on the forum can recommend a shop to change the rod

The shipping is costly to send a crank back and forth across the country.

Guaire

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #16 on: March 03, 2021, 02:01:19 pm
Maybe someone on the forum can recommend a shop to change the rod

The shipping is costly to send a crank back and forth across the country.

My choice would be Rush Branson at Cycles of Silver Spring (MD).
https://www.cyclesofsilverspring.com/
ACE Motors - sales & administration

PacificNorthwestBiker

• Scooter
Reply #17 on: March 03, 2021, 03:56:50 pm
im looking for a place closer to me, im 2 hours west of seattle WA

PacificNorthwestBiker

• Scooter
Reply #18 on: March 04, 2021, 07:20:13 pm
I guess Im looking for a recommended machine shop for putting the rod on the crank, I'm 2 hours west of Seattle WA.

AzCal Retred

• Chennai Wrencher
  • Grand Gearhead
  • a journey of a thousand li starts under one's feet
Reply #19 on: March 05, 2021, 09:33:12 am
I'd ship it to Triangle Pete. There's nothing cheap about hot rodding the engine anyway, what's a couple hundred extra to get it done right by the guy that actually developed it? Way less nerve racking than bringing in a 3rd party to assemble someone else's speed parts. Get that crank out of your bike and build a nice plywood shipping box for it. You don't want any guesswork in your hot rod at 120 MPH.
A trifecta of Pre-Unit Bullets: a Red Deluxe 500, a Green Standard 500, and a Black ES 350.

Arschloch

• Grand Gearhead
  • ...all is lost
Reply #20 on: March 05, 2021, 10:04:09 am
The rod is 162.1 grams lighter and 0.250 inch. longer

The piston is about 100 grams lighter  with modern ring package

Very desireable weight saving in an important area. Should change the character of that engine by a good margin.

TrianglePete

• Bulleteer
Reply #21 on: March 05, 2021, 05:12:14 pm
Good idea Azcal building something to hold the crank in the box. The Indians ship them in styro foam.
Hope the guy from out west likes the idea..

Derott    Wanted to make it more efficient and less vibration. better forged piston, modern rings and 0.250 longer

rod.   This would be great for side car rig or road racer.

Adrian II

• Grand Gearhead
  • Sharing my ignorance with anyone who needs it
Reply #22 on: March 05, 2021, 06:59:27 pm
You could also use that rod and big end in an AVL or Electra-X crank, but I don't know if the AVL cylinder liner has enough metal to take that 88mm piston, you can bore them out to 87mm OK.

A.
Grumpy Brit still seeking 500 AVL Bullet perfection! Will let you know if I get anywhere near...

gizzo

• Grand Gearhead
  • purple people
Reply #23 on: March 05, 2021, 10:27:28 pm
Good idea Azcal building something to hold the crank in the box. The Indians ship them in styro foam.
Hope the guy from out west likes the idea..

Good idea. I had engine parts delivered one time in a box, parts wrapped in plastic and box filled with expanding foam (the aerosol stuff). Perfect.
simon from south Australia
Continental GT
Pantah
DR250
DRZ400SM
C90
GSX250E

Karl Fenn

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #24 on: March 05, 2021, 10:46:05 pm
It's all right tuning these engines, but in terms of logngivity the engines wear out quicker, used to do this sort of stuff to some of my old singles but the mains and crank may not last as long as they normally would.

TrianglePete

• Bulleteer
Reply #25 on: March 06, 2021, 12:05:17 am
Karl,

The cranks should last longer when cleaned of flashing, balanced and pressed together accurately .

That is why I spent the time and money to make this fixture just for the 500s & 535s

AzCal Retred

• Chennai Wrencher
  • Grand Gearhead
  • a journey of a thousand li starts under one's feet
Reply #26 on: March 06, 2021, 03:25:29 am
There's a world of difference between an engineered precision production assembly and a one-off garage special. OEM Enfield parts may or may not be accurate, they are built to a cost and an average rate of failure. A precision engineered & assembled component fed quality lubricants will outlast & outperform an OEM part. It will resolve larger forces better than an equivalent OEM part because of better materials utilized and greater care in part tolerance & assembly. Folks like Bullet Whisperer, Ace, Chumma, Alan Hitchcock & TrianglePete are making some income supplying high quality specialty items for our niche market. Without these folks only a handful of highly talented "amateurs" here would be riding high performance Pre-Unit, UCE & new twins. My old Pre-Unit machine would still have a piston made of Velveeta, plain cast Yron rings & Yron cylinder without these worthies. Hats off to them! 8)

A trifecta of Pre-Unit Bullets: a Red Deluxe 500, a Green Standard 500, and a Black ES 350.