Author Topic: Trashed my engine today -- maybe an RE isn't right for me  (Read 12159 times)

dickim

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #45 on: October 27, 2018, 09:04:03 am
CX 500/650 Very sought after - a lot getting Bobbed in U.K when choosing enginefor my trike it was CX or Guzzi Cali - zero CX  and bugger all Guzzi around now, bought Guzzi from U.K breaker snd shipped to Oz.
2020 RE 650 GT (Mr Clean)
2014 C5
56 MGA
58 Healey 3000 (Resto in Progress)
2001 MX5 
2015 Mitsubishi Ute
2021 Camry Hybrid
Tipo 184 Kit ordered & awaiting delivery for build👍

Type H

• Scooter
Reply #46 on: November 01, 2018, 05:05:29 am
FWIW, none of the other C5 that dropped exhaust valves(if that is what happened) had wrapped exhausts, so it appears that would not necessarily be the cause.

Sometimes these things just happen on these machines. I have seen 3, and we have seen 3 others posted here on the forum. All of the ones that came here had stock exhaust and ECU, and still failed. One under warranty period and was replaced. All had valve stem separation at the point where the stem is friction welded to the valve head.

However, we are not sure until we see a post-mortem of the engine.

I've not read the remainder of the posts in this thread, and I'm a little late to the party, but my original engine dropped its exhaust valve while in warranty period - entire engine was replaced. I believe I'd had the bike for just a few weeks in early 2015. Both the dealership & Royal Enfield Australia were at loss as to how & what went wrong, specifically, to cause the exhaust valve head to snap off.

Suffice to say the very first thing I did to the replacement engine once it was run-in was slap in Hitchcocks' valve & spring kit.

Gizmo

• Scooter
Reply #47 on: November 27, 2018, 02:35:13 pm
thank you guys this Whole page is full of useful info.
i just got my RE 3 weeks ago and now i know not to do Dumb mods heh.
2018 RE C5 EFI (Gray)

That was Intense, really intense. Well, not Really intense, but pretty intense. ~ Chris Pontius

Bert Remington

• Grease Monkey
Reply #48 on: November 27, 2018, 06:06:59 pm
Gizmo -- congratulations.  That sore jaw feeling probably won't go away until you stop riding your new C5.  I was grinning up to the moment the engine started clattering.  Bought a second engine which is receiving the SB/GHG magic touch and am grinning just thinking about getting back on the road with it (probably Feb or Mar depending on weather).

WRT dumb mods, it looks like I screwed up the fueling one or more ways.  Upside down phenolic spacer; kinked fuel hose; clogged fuel tank filter; or something else in the path to the intake valve.  Combine that with not checking compression with my gauge and it was on the back of a tow truck at 4.5K miles.  And No I didn't take pictures!

WRT to your C5, I'm pretty sure 2018 is a Euro4 model so be cautious about applicability of any electrical and engine mods you find here.  Your lighting and engine controls are a bit different and stricter than most REs here.

If you are looking at luggage, I recommend my C-Bow approach for saddlebags and Burly for tankbag.  If you like the Trip Machine saddlebags, I have a C-Bow solution for them.
2016 RE Classic 500 CA version Fair-Weather Mountain Bike
2014 Can-Am Spyder RT-S SE6 Freeway Commuter Pod

Gizmo

• Scooter
Reply #49 on: November 27, 2018, 06:32:00 pm
I'm glad your getting back on the Road with your RE. Thank you for the Advise the only thing i'm going to be doing is changing the head lamp Bulb on the bike and put a battery tender on it for winter storage.Maryland Weather is odd sometimes with the warm and cold spikes we get here. Do you have any recommendations on brand for the bulbs?.  Oh i feel like a Noob but what is the C-Bow approach for saddlebags ? and for Shit and Giggles
 here an image of my bike for fun.
https://i.imgur.com/Va63uyS.jpg
« Last Edit: November 27, 2018, 06:34:05 pm by Gizmo »
2018 RE C5 EFI (Gray)

That was Intense, really intense. Well, not Really intense, but pretty intense. ~ Chris Pontius

Guaire

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #50 on: November 27, 2018, 10:33:08 pm
Gizmo - Nice looking Bullet.
  Here's the motorcycle inventory from domestic LED supplier SuperBright LEDs:
https://www.superbrightleds.com/cat/motorcycle/

Cheers,
Bill
ACE Motors - sales & administration

wildbill

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #51 on: November 28, 2018, 10:50:43 pm
the only advise i'd give if buying a new bike would be sun it in SLOW ;) and give it plenty of heat cycles......or trouble will find you...LOL
euro 4's appear to run better than the earlier models which could be due to more to a more lean burn fuel system
either way be very careful if you play about with the exhaust side of things