Author Topic: New Owner, Few Questions  (Read 1782 times)

theslashy

• Neophyte
on: September 16, 2018, 04:12:09 pm
Hi guys,
I recently bought a 2005 500 Bullet, and want to do a few things on it:
At the moment, I have a Avon 3.5x19 tire on the rear and a Heidenau 3,25x19 on the front.
I don't really like the look and feel and want other tires, even a bit wider if possible.
My prefereed tires would be either the dunlop k81 or Shinko E270.
The Dunlops would be in the front: 3.6x19 and 4.1x19 in the back, now I read that this would fit, can you confirm this?
Another Idea would be the Shinkos in 4.0x19 in front and back just like here:
https://riders.drivemag.com/features/mid-life-cycles-royal-enfield-re350-brass-rajah-test-indian-bobber

What do you think would be better? the choice in 19 inch wheels isn't so big and I dont want a wheel that is too "flat" but a round tire.

Another thing I want to add is the Megaphone Exaust:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0-2YfY-cqJk
Are there any drawbacks here?

thanks for your suggestions

Tarnand

• Andrew
  • Grease Monkey
Reply #1 on: September 18, 2018, 05:20:30 am
Just recently I installed 3.5 on the front and 4 on the rear but have not even tried them yet.  Still plenty of room although I cannot positively say that a bigger one like 4 and 4.5 respectively would still fit.
As far as the muffler ...  The one you attached a link to should be fine.  Is is not like a Gold Star or something similar?  If this muffler is less restrictive then the OEM, and very likely it is, you may need to re-jet the carb.  You will find the info when you search archive of this forum. There is somewhere the info if you use Micarb or Mikuni.  I am not sure if there is if you use Amal.
2005 KS (ex ES) Bullet 500cc
1994 FLSTC
1983 FXRS

theslashy

• Neophyte
Reply #2 on: September 18, 2018, 02:00:31 pm
Thank you!!

ROVERMAN

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: September 18, 2018, 03:05:06 pm
You will need to re jet with a new muffler. Don't overthink it, relatively simple, lots of threads on this. 

AgentX

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: September 19, 2018, 01:42:54 am
Your front tire will be restricted in size if you have a fender, unlike the bike you linked to.  Rear has size limits with the swingarm and fender both.  Don't try to do anything too wild.

In my experience, a K70 3.5 fit in both front and back.  Handling with the 3.5 in front was not noticeably different than the 3.25 for me.  I now have Heidenau K34s 3.5s front and rear.  About as big as I'd ever want to go on this bike.

Sizing with the K81s (aka TT100) may not give you as fat a tire as you expect.  The size nomenclature doesn't necessarily translate to give an accurate comparison across different tires.  There's probably a thread on that somewhere here, and/or other classic bike forums.