Author Topic: Connecting Rod  (Read 2100 times)

Dennisgb

• Scooter
on: September 16, 2018, 10:02:25 am
This is a picture of the rod that came out of my Bullet 500. It's bent at about 45 degrees.

I'm not sure what happened. The engine was full of oil. It was being run hard when it happened according to the PO. Maybe just a temperature failure. Feeling lucky that it didn't break.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/22794316@N03/43993081784/in/dateposted-public/
Brakes are Good, Tires are Bare

Adrian II

• Grand Gearhead
  • Sharing my ignorance with anyone who needs it
Reply #1 on: September 16, 2018, 08:07:47 pm
Oww...

If the rod had gone it would have taken out the crankcases, a known issue with the Cast Iron barrel Bullets (mostly the 500s), even the Redditch-built ones could do it. Steel rods are available.

Don't know if you were aware, but we can see the entire album from that link.

A.
Grumpy Brit still seeking 500 AVL Bullet perfection! Will let you know if I get anywhere near...

Dennisgb

• Scooter
Reply #2 on: September 17, 2018, 02:05:07 am
Oww...

If the rod had gone it would have taken out the crankcases, a known issue with the Cast Iron barrel Bullets (mostly the 500s), even the Redditch-built ones could do it. Steel rods are available.

Don't know if you were aware, but we can see the entire album from that link.

A.

Yes I understand that had the rod broke it would have taken out the crankcase. I bought the bike with a known big end problem "because" the crankcase was intact and the engine actually turned over with the bent rod. I opted against a steel rod in the rebuild. I am installing the high output oil pumps and better crank bearings. I am trying to keep the cost down to get a handle on the bike and whether I want to keep it long term.

I have had problems with photo posting ever since PhotoBucket changed to a pay service. There isn't anything in my photo folder that is a problem tho.

cyrusb

• Kept man
  • Grand Gearhead
  • There's a last time for everything
Reply #3 on: September 17, 2018, 05:23:52 pm
Holy cow, that is bizarre! What a crazy failure. It looks as though it was made that way. It may have been destroking itself instead of destroying itself. 
2005E Fixed and or Replaced: ignition, fenders,chainguard,wires,carb,headlight,seat,tailight,sprockets,chain,shock springs,fork springs, exhaust system, horn,shifter,clutch arm, trafficators,crankcase vent.

Dennisgb

• Scooter
Reply #4 on: September 17, 2018, 05:30:46 pm
Holy cow, that is bizarre! What a crazy failure. It looks as though it was made that way. It may have been destroking itself instead of destroying itself.

Ha! "Destroking itself". That's funny.

I've been thinking that the notorious rubber rod was a good thing in this case. I think the PO shut it down quickly when he heard it go and saved the engine.