Author Topic: solo seat  (Read 4526 times)

Merrill

• Bulleteer
on: October 04, 2008, 12:11:23 am
anyone have one of these seats, how do you like it?
/
I've got the other style solo, but like the style of this one better.
/
but is it comfy?
/
Lysette-style vintage motorcycle seat for modern Royal Enfield motorcycles.
old fashioned solo

Slider

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: October 04, 2008, 12:17:58 am
Are you asking about the Lysette or the other solo seat?

I must retreat to my place of Zen and meditate on this.

Merrill

• Bulleteer
« Last Edit: October 04, 2008, 12:25:20 am by Merrill »

northshore_paul

• Bulleteer
  • Remember...all roads come to an end mon ami.
Reply #3 on: October 04, 2008, 01:24:56 am
Merrill,

What seat do you currently have? Is it the solo seat with springs or the solo without? I understand that you are inquiring about the Lysette, it does look good, reminds me of the seat they used to have on the 3 speed English racer bikes when I was a kid in the 50's .
'01 Kawasaki W650
'06 Suzuki Burgman 400
'03 Bullet Classic gone to a new home
'84 BMW R100 gone to a new home
'94 Honda PC800 gone to a new home

cochi

• Grease Monkey
Reply #4 on: October 04, 2008, 01:28:40 am
Merrill, I've had my Lysett for almost five years. It's quite comfortable for rides up to about two hours. Beyond that limit , my bottom starts to get a bit numb. The seat is wide, but short. There is not enough move around room to relieve pressure points. I managed to increase my saddle time on long rides by using a sheepskin cover. I made it from a sheepskin that I bought at, of all p[laces, IKEA. The seat itself was an easy installation. However, I had to use some washers as spacers to center it at the attachment behind the tank. It really looks terrific on the Bullet. I also installed the old fashion pillion. It's a great looking combo. cochi :)

Merrill

• Bulleteer
Reply #5 on: October 04, 2008, 02:44:33 am
northshore, never thought of it, but you are absolutely right. I had a three speed English racer and that is the seat. No wonder I like it.
//
Cochi, thanks I was hoping some first had information would surface. Sound like the Lysette is as comfortable as what I'm running now, It certainly is better looking.
///
my post was confussing sorry about that.
/
this is the seat in question:
http://store.royalenfieldusa.com/aftermarket-parts-accessories/seats/old-fashioned-solo-seat
//
pictured is the seat i'm currently running.
//
« Last Edit: October 04, 2008, 02:48:38 am by Merrill »

northshore_paul

• Bulleteer
  • Remember...all roads come to an end mon ami.
Reply #6 on: October 04, 2008, 04:56:25 am
Merrill, tell me what do you think about your current seat as to its comfort, space for movement and if you feel crowded on it. I was thinking about that one or the other solo seat that does not use springs. It looks good but I am also concerned about comfort.
'01 Kawasaki W650
'06 Suzuki Burgman 400
'03 Bullet Classic gone to a new home
'84 BMW R100 gone to a new home
'94 Honda PC800 gone to a new home

Merrill

• Bulleteer
Reply #7 on: October 04, 2008, 05:21:54 am
Paul, the current seat is cupped at the back so there is no fore or aft movement, it
is wide (hard to tell from the photo) with my build I don't need that width, but it would
benefit the bigger guys.
/
from what i can gather, drawing heavily from cochi and his five + years with the
Lesette the two seats are probably a wash when it comes to comfort. I was hoping
that the lesette would allow a little slide back room, being that it appears to not be
cupped or ridged at the back, but cochi says your are pretty much locked into
constant pressure points.
/
I might go ahead and get a lesette, comfort wise they appear equals. With mine
two hours is definitely break time.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2008, 05:24:06 am by Merrill »

Huffer

• Vespas fear me
  • Scooter
  • I brake for . . . long distances
Reply #8 on: October 04, 2008, 06:50:53 am
I'm after period authenticity, so the Lysette seat was the only choice for me. I never ride my Bullet for more than an hour, so the Lysette is fine for me in terms of comfort. I don't think you'll be unhappy with a Lysette if you don't ride for long stretches at a time.
2008 Royal Enfield Bullet 500 Deluxe--last of the iron-barrel Bullets.
2008 Triumph Bonneville T100--last of the carburetted Bonnies.
1974 Norton Commando Roadster--last of the "proper" right side shift Commandos.

Merrill

• Bulleteer
Reply #9 on: October 04, 2008, 12:33:14 pm
thanks Huffer-- i agree that the Lysette is much more suited to the lines of the
Enfield.
/
actually after an hour of riding it is only right to stop for a while and let the
public at large admire the bike,
/
I mean fair is fair:)
/
but an hour is about right , altough sometimes i wander farther from home,
it is those getting back miles that bite me.

1Blackwolf1

• Grand Gearhead
  • Looking for the next rebuild project....
Reply #10 on: October 04, 2008, 10:46:46 pm
Unless you're trying to win the iron butt award most riders feel that 300 miles a day is a good mark to attain.  Even after 2 hours on my Kawasaki Drifter it's definitely break time.  It's a big bike with excellent seating and room but 2 hours is enough.  You need to get the legs working again, so if you can handle 1 1/2 hours to 2 hours with the Lysette seat (have one on mine currently) that is a good mark.  It isn't fun have parts of your anatomy numb.  Will.
Will Morrison
2007 500 Military
2000 Kawasaki Drifter 1500
2000 Victory V92SC
1976 Suzuki GT185 Rebuilder Special..AKA (Junkyard Dog)
Many, many other toys.
The garage is full.

DVDitman

• Bulleteer
  • '06 Classic Deluxe ES
Reply #11 on: October 05, 2008, 12:37:35 am
Merrill - I've had the Lysette-styled seat now for about a year and a half, and have put about 9,000 miles on it. If I take a break every hour and a half, or so, I can pretty much ride most of the day, which at an average of about 35-40 miles an hour translates to about 200 miles, or so. Wearing bicycling shorts definitely helps. However, I have gone though A LOT of seat springs, and I only weigh 175, and always ride on nice, smooth, paved roads. Our host will supply new springs, but to replace the small springs (which cannot be repaired, only replaced) under the horn of the seat requires removing the seat from the bike; this gets old after a while. I have mastered the technique of replacing the long springs while the seat is mounted on the bike. I have also developed a method of repairing the longer springs using coathanger wire; this seems to give the springs longer life than with the OEM spring hooks. Still, I do like the seat.

dc10bass

• Scooter
Reply #12 on: October 05, 2008, 05:43:25 pm
So do you sit higher up with this solo seat than the stock RE seat?

old-fashioned-solo-seat
http://store.royalenfieldusa.com/aftermarket-parts-accessories/seats/old-fashioned-solo-seat
-CPT-

'57 Allstate Vespa

Merrill

• Bulleteer
Reply #13 on: October 05, 2008, 09:27:20 pm
don't think so ...., just vanity, mainly a style thing, guess you could defend your
decision calling it striving for period correctness, that is my approach.

1Blackwolf1

• Grand Gearhead
  • Looking for the next rebuild project....
Reply #14 on: October 05, 2008, 11:29:37 pm
So do you sit higher up with this solo seat than the stock RE seat?

old-fashioned-solo-seat

I think I sit about an inch or so higher than with the stock seat but again it might just be my impression since I.m 6'3".  Will.
Will Morrison
2007 500 Military
2000 Kawasaki Drifter 1500
2000 Victory V92SC
1976 Suzuki GT185 Rebuilder Special..AKA (Junkyard Dog)
Many, many other toys.
The garage is full.

geoffbaker

Reply #15 on: October 06, 2008, 01:32:05 am
I like my Lysette solo seat so far. Haven't had it for more than a few hundred miles, though. I bought a gel pad to increase comfort, but haven't used it yet.

Some day, when it gets beat enough, I'll have it recovered in thick leather.

Snobrd

• Scooter
Reply #16 on: October 06, 2008, 01:35:36 am
Just a note to 1blackwolf1.  Original Kawasaki saddles have ALWAYS been butt busters.  I had a '98 Vulcan Classic.  I could not ride more than 75 miles without real pain.  I replaced the manufacturers saddle with a Mustang saddle.  It was amazinig.  The Mustang saddle was like it had been custom made for my butt.  I replaced the the '98 Classic with a 2002 Nomad.  Again, the Kawi seat was a butt buster.  A new Mustang seat was several hundred $.  The fit of the old Mustang saddle I had on The Classic was close enough that with minor alterations I was able to mount it on The Nomad.  That old saddle has 55,000 plus miles on it and going strong.  I've had several 12 hour plus days on it with no discomfort at all.  If you still have The Drifter I would recommend a Mustang saddle for it.
"Cynicism is an unpleasant way of telling the truth."  Lillian Hellman

2002 Kawasaki Vulcan Nomad
2007 RE Bullet Classic
Deep River, CT