Author Topic: What year did they start with disk brakes?  (Read 4133 times)

Bala2014

• Scooter
  • India to Spain...faster than a speeding Bullet
on: May 01, 2018, 11:55:37 am
Hi all, I'm trying to register my 79' bullet as a historic vehicle, I'll spare the details of all the crap this is dragging me through but I have a question that might make things easier for me depending on the answer...

Does anyone know what year they introduced the front disk brake on the iron barrel?
Taking the scenic route from India to Spain...8,000 miles on a classic Enfield!
www.thescenicroutethroughlife.com

Adrian II

• Grand Gearhead
  • Sharing my ignorance with anyone who needs it
Reply #1 on: May 01, 2018, 02:10:48 pm
The earliest I can find any reference to a Royal Enfield disk front end would be in 1991, as mentioned here, it was available as a factory option at the time.

http://www.moonshiners.org.uk/bullet.htm

Any help?

A.
Grumpy Brit still seeking 500 AVL Bullet perfection! Will let you know if I get anywhere near...

Bilgemaster

• Just some guy
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • 2005 Bullet 500ES in "Mean Green" Military Trim
Reply #2 on: May 02, 2018, 12:59:32 am
I don't know if this might help you, but according to a Wikipedia's "List of Royal Enfield motorcycles" at https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Royal_Enfield_motorcycles, the Enfield Fury (a 163cc 2-stroke), made 1988-1995?, was, "a licensed copy of the Zundapp [sic, should read "Zündapp"] KS 175. It was the first motorcycle in India to sport a disc brake."

That was fully nine years after your "1979" Bullet is alleged to have seen the light of day.  Lacking any further details as to your or the bike's whereabouts or its other particulars, one might suspect some sort of "grey market" import funny business might be in play, which is common enough here in the States. If that is the case, and you're actually stuck with some "unregisterable" post-'68 smuggled-in Enfield here in the Land of the Plastic Spork and the Home of the Brave, then you might do well to research the wonder that is the ultra-lax Vermont vehicle registration process. Google is your friend...and there's this.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2018, 01:55:19 am by Bilgemaster »
So badass my Enfield's actually illegal  in India. Yet it squeaks by here in Virginia.

Bala2014

• Scooter
Reply #3 on: May 02, 2018, 08:57:42 am
Thanks for the help. Interesting the 1991 find, that could benefit me...Ive gotta try and find some more documentation that indeed it was possible to get factory installed disc brakes at that time.

And yes Bilgemaster, you're right, there is all sorts of funny business going on with swapping years and paperwork. I worked with Enfields in Delhi and bought this one there, its a legit 79', I put the disc brakes on myself, but now wish I hadnt.

Adrian II

• Grand Gearhead
  • Sharing my ignorance with anyone who needs it
Reply #4 on: May 02, 2018, 10:59:38 am
No a bad idea at the time, but hey...

You can always re-fit a drum brake front wheel and un-modified fork slider to match, all the spares are still available, including the earlier pattern forks with the screw-on oil seal holders and the 6" single leading shoe front hubs if your licence office is that fussy. Get it registered in original trim, then re-fit your disk front end...

A.
Grumpy Brit still seeking 500 AVL Bullet perfection! Will let you know if I get anywhere near...

Bala2014

• Scooter
Reply #5 on: May 03, 2018, 01:57:57 pm
You can always re-fit a drum brake front wheel and un-modified fork slider to match

Yea, that is last resort, Im hoping I can make this work without having to go through so much trouble.  The problem is that half of what is on my bike is Machismo gear. When I was living in Delhi I bought the chassis and motor of the old bullet but  I had access to a machismo that I could pick apart, so when rebuilding the old lady to get her ready for the drive to europe she ended up looking a bit like a mut.

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #6 on: May 03, 2018, 09:46:53 pm
It would have been much less trouble to buy a used Bullet in the EU and do the upgrades there. Importing a Bullet is almost always a bad idea.
Home of the Fireball 535 !

Bala2014

• Scooter
Reply #7 on: May 04, 2018, 10:04:20 am
It would have been much less trouble to buy a used Bullet in the EU and do the upgrades there.

Agreed. But the idea was to ride the bike from from Delhi to Barcelona where I now live (which I did... with a lot of help from this forum!). I wasnt thinking that far ahead at the moment....guess it was more about the journey than the destination so to speak  ;)

Stanley

• Grease Monkey
Reply #8 on: May 04, 2018, 04:37:54 pm
After perusing and bookmarking Bala's blog for careful reading, I think Bala is a wonderful machine. I invite others to enjoy his blog!
Lurker on a Vespa

Bala2014

• Scooter
Reply #9 on: May 05, 2018, 12:39:00 pm
Haha! Thanks. She is indeed a good animal...we went through a lot together. She still runs like a top, just looks like she went through a warzone (Cause she did)

banjelele

• Scooter
Reply #10 on: September 18, 2018, 12:54:22 am
Now this might not be pertinent considering the original question but my Canadian import 1995 bullet 350 deluxe (machismo) has a twin leading shoe front brake. Did most of the bullets that were imported into the States have that same brake system?

banjelele

• Scooter
Reply #11 on: September 18, 2018, 01:01:07 am
Say, where do I find bala2014's blog, please?

cyrusb

• Kept man
  • Grand Gearhead
  • There's a last time for everything
Reply #12 on: September 18, 2018, 01:23:51 am
After perusing and bookmarking Bala's blog for careful reading, I think Bala is a wonderful machine. I invite others to enjoy his blog!
.http://travelluna20.blogspot.com/ This is older but VERY good
2005E Fixed and or Replaced: ignition, fenders,chainguard,wires,carb,headlight,seat,tailight,sprockets,chain,shock springs,fork springs, exhaust system, horn,shifter,clutch arm, trafficators,crankcase vent.

banjelele

• Scooter
Reply #13 on: September 18, 2018, 01:49:33 am
Thank so much cyrusb

cyrusb

• Kept man
  • Grand Gearhead
  • There's a last time for everything
Reply #14 on: September 18, 2018, 02:01:07 am
That story is amazing. The stock and unmodified bullet she leaves Jersey on is nothing but trouble right across America. They were so lean in stock form seizing at highway speeds(55) was all too common. But, she was cute, with a German accent, and a rack like a dead heat in a blimp race. This was a great advantage. Enjoy the read.
2005E Fixed and or Replaced: ignition, fenders,chainguard,wires,carb,headlight,seat,tailight,sprockets,chain,shock springs,fork springs, exhaust system, horn,shifter,clutch arm, trafficators,crankcase vent.